I am as lost as a goose in a hail storm. I, like others have posted, am getting a message when installing ver 4 informing me an error has occurred. I ran the repair utility with no success but have the logs. I am guessing this is where I upload the logs, so here it goes. As a post script, I now have no working version of Malware Bytes in the computer.

mbst-fix-results.txt mbst-grab-results.zip

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column

mbst_get_started.jpg

7. Click the Gather Logs button

mbst_advanced_gather_logs.jpg

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

mbst_getting_logs.jpg

9. Upon completion, a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be found on your Desktop. Click OK

mbst_log_saved_desktop.jpg

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Hi.

My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.

Please follow my directions as we go along.  Please do not do any changes on your own without first checking with me.

I'm sorry to hear of the issue you are experiencing.

before starting in, please close all open work. Also, lets please do a Windows Restart.

I also want you to watch the whole process and keep a eye out for on screen prompts, especially later on during this first run. Keep a lookout for prompts during the later phases of the run. It may ask for a Restart of Windows. If so, it is critical to reply with YES

Let's perform a clean re-installation of the latest Malwarebytes for Windows version using the Malwarebytes Support Tool. This is designed to automate the clean uninstallation of  Malwarebytes  products, along with installation and activation of Malwarebytes for Windows Premium (if applicable).

The support tool is alreday on your Downloads folder   C:\Users\TJ\Downloads\mb-support-1.5.1.681.exe

• Open your Downloads folder.
  • Double-click  mb-support-1.5.1.681     to run the tool.
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!".
  • Click the Advanced Options link. This is important. Please ensure Advanced Options is clicked.
  • Click the Clean button followed by Yes to proceed.
  • Upon completion, click OK to reboot your computer.
  • After the reboot, please wait for the program to reopen.
  • You will be presented with the option to install Malwarebytes for Windows. Click Yes.
  • Installation of Malwarebytes for Windows will commence shortly after.
  • Upon completion, Malwarebytes for Windows will automatically open.
  • Note: If installation of Malwarebytes for Windows does not commence, please let me know.

Then, when all is done, please lets do one final Windows Restart.

If you encounter any issues during the running of the tool, please let me know.

Please keep me advised after all this. Thank you.

This is a follow-up.   I have re-reviewed your Malwarebytes reports.  The pc does not know have a Malwarebytes insralled.   I suspect that is what the tool will confirm.

Lets do this to do a new installation.

Your system is a Windows 10 so it qualifies to run the latest version 4.0.4

the Malwarebytes installer is at this link

Please use this link

download and save the setup file . It will automatically download. Just SAVE first.

1.    Double-click mbsetup.exe  to start the Malwarebytes for Windows setup.
2.    Follow the installation instructions to complete setup.

Watch all of the process. Have lots of patience.
When setup has completed, my suggestion is always to do a Windows Restart.

Please let me know how this goes.

Sincerely.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Hi @Pop2572,

The logs indicate the install is failing due to a network issue.

Could you provide additional details on the purpose of the 127.0.0.1:1080 proxy you have set? Any other details on your network configuration would also be appreciated.
Are you experiencing network issues with other applications?

If you want to get Malwarebytes version 4 installed now, you can try the offline installer: https://malwarebytes.app.box.com/s/cymqa8o7sxj9zrj22n643ujt8rqoozkm

However, this won't help with explaining exactly why the online install is failing.

Thanks for all of the advice. I have done a clean install, hence the reason I had no working copy installed. I tried to install after a hard reset with no effect on the installation. It still gives me the error. I am taking Liquid Tension's advice and downloading the offline installer. In reference to the proxy, I suspect it is the product of either the VPN or Norton Security Suite. I use Norton and invoke the VPN often, though not always. I hope this clears up the question about the proxy. On that note, I am not experiencing any network issues, though some sites will not let me access their content with the VPN on, even if I whitelist them. Perhaps this could be an issue, but I have turned off the VPN and am still experiencing the same message. However, it gets me to thinking that since I have exceeded my "unlimited" data threshold and am now throttled, the install is timing out. Any thoughts?

The offline installer did install and ver 4 is now up and running. The download failed two times before it finally completed. Don't know exactly what my network doesn't like, but I would venture a guess the problem lies within the internet connection/protocols. The offline install allowed for the work around. Thanks.

I am very glad to read that you did manage to accomplish a good installation.  Bravo.

If would collect a fresh report, we can review.   You already have the support tool.

open your Downloads folder.
    Double-click mb-support- 1.5.1.681.exe to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.