RealDisplayName

Version 4.0 - Updating Definitions

@exile360 and @Maurice Naggar

Thanks for the clarifications.  Now I think I finally have a handle on the different ways update checks are performed and what they actually check for.  I guess there really isn't much reason to ever use the manual check for update options unless there is a new program version out that I haven't been notified of yet.

Thanks,
Bill

Yes, that's correct.  In fact, I only occasionally check for updates manually if ever.  Usually I just let the software take care of itself.  Malwarebytes has become a very 'seti-it-and-forget-it' type of application these days which has been one of the primary design goals and biggest requests from users (not to mention that I believe virtually all security applications should work this way as users want to use their systems for whatever they use them for, not interact with protection software all day).  In fact, you could simply check for updates manually on a regular schedule as part of your system maintenance, like on Patch Tuesday when you install Windows Updates and Adobe Flash updates and Adobe Reader updates (which are generally released on the same day as Adobe has been following Microsoft's patching schedule for several years now, ever since Edge was released with Flash integrated into it).

14 hours ago, BillH99999 said:

@exile360 and @Maurice Naggar

Thanks for the clarifications.  Now I think I finally have a handle on the different ways update checks are performed and what they actually check for.  I guess there really isn't much reason to ever use the manual check for update options unless there is a new program version out that I haven't been notified of yet.

Thanks,
Bill

Yeah I don't agree with Exile. You should always manually check for updates atleast once a day. I typically do it every morning before I open my browser to check my email. This morning I manually checked for updates and Malwarbytes asked for a restart. Why? Because the component package version needed to be updated today. Yesterday it was version 1.0.717. After the restart it's now on version 1.0.718.

@Sfrush

Interesting.  I have my auto update set for every 30 minutes.  I have been up and running for 3 hours today and component version 1.0.718 was never installed... I was still on 1.0.717.  I just did a manual check for updates and component version 1.0.718 was immediately downloaded and installed and I had to restart MB.

@exile360

Any explanation for this behavior?  Based on what you (and staff) have said, I would have thought the auto update would have downloaded and installed this update.

Bill

2 hours ago, BillH99999 said:

Any explanation for this behavior?  Based on what you (and staff) have said, I would have thought the auto update would have downloaded and installed this update.

Unlike definition updates, Component updates are metered out just like full version upgrades.

@Porthos

Thanks for the explanation.  I didn't realize they were metered out.

So I am going to change my mind again and go back to doing a manual check every day to see if there are any updates in components or program version that are available.

Thanks
Bill

Somebody had asked why a Restart was needed.   Whether a restart is required is something determined by the program.   It depends on the conditions at that moment, whether some file or files were then in-use  & thus required the Restart.