Version 4.0 - Updating Definitions

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column

mbst_get_started.jpg

7. Click the Gather Logs button

mbst_advanced_gather_logs.jpg

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

mbst_getting_logs.jpg

9. Upon completion, a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be found on your Desktop. Click OK

mbst_log_saved_desktop.jpg

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

• Staff
5 minutes ago, RealDisplayName said:

Liking the sleek new look of 4.0, but wondering if it's maybe too sleek. I don't see anywhere to update the definitions. Could someone point me where to do this??

Hi there! With Malwarebytes 4 open, you can click on the Settings icon, then navigate to the About tab. There you'll find a Check for updates button that will check for all available updates. If you don't have Malwarebytes 4 open, you can right-click on the "M" logo in your system tray, then select Check for Updates from the slide-out menu.

Edited by H4V0C

• Staff
36 minutes ago, Frank_ said:

I downloaded... all smooth.  

Just from one individual experience here.... this does seem ready for prime time.

Thanks gents.

I know it's minor.... but I for one vote for adding a 'Check for Updates' button to the front page.

Thanks for the feedback Frank!

4 hours ago, H4V0C said:

Hi there! With Malwarebytes 4 open, you can click on the Settings icon, then navigate to the About tab. There you'll find a Check for updates button that will check for all available updates. If you don't have Malwarebytes 4 open, you can right-click on the "M" logo in your system tray, then select Check for Updates from the slide-out menu.

I'm a bit confused.  In the help it says this about the button on the General settings tab:

Application updates

Malwarebytes periodically releases program updates for components or the full program. This setting offers two toggle switches for the program to automatically download and install component updates, and if you want to receive notifications when full version updates are available. Click Check for updates to check for available program updates or upgrades.

and this about the link on the About tab:

Under your Malwarebytes version number is a blue Check for updates button. Click this button to have Malwarebytes check our servers for the latest version of the program, and download any available update. At the bottom of the About screen are links to the Third party notifications and the End User License Agreement (EULA). Click these links to open either document in your web browser to learn more.

This makes it sound like the link on the About tab only checks for Version updates and the button on the General tab checks for all available updates (Version, Component, and Definition).  Is that the case?

If not, what does each button do?  What is the difference between the two?

I think the Help needs to make it more clear exactly what types of updates are checked for by each.

Thanks,
Bill

Edited by BillH99999

• Root Admin

That has not changed in a very long time @BillH99999

Under General it will check for the component, beta (if you have that enabled), and full program updates.
Under About it will check for rules, definition updates to the program

However, that said, the program now always checks for rule updates before performing a scan automatically

I don't disagree that it hasn't changed in a long time, but I think it  has been confusing for a long time.

On the general tab I think it would be more clear if it said "check for program version or component updates".  The help clarifies that it is only program version or component updates as you say, but for newbies it would be more clear if it was spelled out on the button or next to the button.  They might assume rules/definition updates were also checked.

For the link on the About page it says "Click this button to have Malwarebytes check our servers for the latest version of the program, and download any available update. "

To me the version number is 3.8.3 or 4.0.3 or whatever. Especially since the link is right under the Malwarebytes version heading.  You are saying it only checks for rules/definition updates.

I think it would be more clear if it said something along the lines of "Check for Update Package version updates".  Although that is also confusing to me.  I think it would be even more clear if it said something like "Check for Rules/Definition updates".  

Just sayin'  😄

Bill

@LiquidTension

As you can see from this post, this contradicts what it says in the user guide and what AdvancedSetup said above.  

I think the user guide really needs to be updated to reflect what updates are actually checked for and updated by each of these these options.  

Also, why are there two checks for updates on two different tabs if they do the same thing?  Doesn't there only need to be one.  I think it is confusing the way it is.

Bill

Edited by BillH99999

In my opinion it would be better if both buttons will be combined into one in About tab, either Check for updates (definitions) will be located on main menu.

It is not very practical in my opinion that both buttons are in the settings in different places.

Thank you both for the feedback.

45 minutes ago, BillH99999 said:

I think the user guide really needs to be updated to reflect what updates are actually checked for and updated by each of these these options.

I've passed this onto the content team.

Also, why are there two checks for updates on two different tabs if they do the same thing?  Doesn't there only need to be one.  I think it is confusing the way it is.

We decided to keep the Check for updates button on the General page for familiarity reasons. The additional update link was added to the About page to provide a convenient method of both checking for and reviewing the various product version numbers. This was predominately done in mind for Support working with users who are less familiar with the product or tend not to explore the user interface.

In my opinion it would be better if both buttons will be combined into one in About tab, either Check for updates (definitions) will be located on main menu.

Yes, this is something we're looking into further.

We do appreciate all the feedback on the user interface and are certainly open to making changes.

Hey all,

Didn't know my question would stir a lot of discussion. Though I've seen this a few different programs. For instance I use Bit defender and they removed the update button in the interface. This caused some uproar. I think a lot of people are like myself. When they boot up their computer, are start a program to scan for virus/maleware. It just feels good to do a check to ensure you are using the latest definitions prior to a scan or going about your day. Sure, a lot will do this in the background itself, but doing yourself just feels more tangible and you KNOW when it was last actually updated. It's a comfort thing.

It can be frustrating as it was with Bitdefender, but with  all the uproar, I just modfied what I do when I boot my computer or start a scan. Yes, it may entail you jumping through an extra hoop you previously didn't have to do and you don't know why the developer would make a design choice to make something harder. I think one thing most companies don't mention is that perhaps us all continually checking for updates may increase server workload and that may be why they are discouraging the use by slighting hiding the option.

Like BitDefender I found you can right click the icon in the system tray and do a quick update check of definitions. I think this will make things feel easier than jumping through menu hoops. I've gotten quite used to this method and don't even care about loosing the option in interface now.

Having said all that, I do agree that a lot of people who like to know WHAT is being updated. I'm a computer nerd and like to know what each part of the program does and have control over that process as I'm more comfortable with some aspects of software than others and know what I program to do to make my life easier. I used to use to system mechanic and they kept dumming down the interface so much that you would click a button and a did few things and never told what exactly was happening or let you have a control of how was done. I think this was done to make using the program easier on non-computer type people. But they did put off their customer base that were good with computers. So much so that I and anyone I know used/payed for QUICKLY dumped the program for free options like ccleaner etc and never looked back. And some work better than their program and we may never know that if Iolo hadn't forced us to look elsewhere.

I hope the developers will think of this, while making some changes may make financial sense, is it what really what is in your customers best interest and could it take away part of the experience they enjoy. Once a customer leaves, you will not get them back. Is it so hard for you code in what is being updated when people go to the options to now to check for definition updates? Would you, as a customer not feel better getting this information? It sure would make loosing the option in the main interface sting less? As well, perhaps someone would like to update their definitions, but NOT update the program. How do they accomplish this?

On 11/4/2019 at 12:33 PM, Malwarebytes said:

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Reveal hidden contents

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column

mbst_get_started.jpg

7. Click the Gather Logs button

mbst_advanced_gather_logs.jpg

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

mbst_getting_logs.jpg

9. Upon completion, a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be found on your Desktop. Click OK

mbst_log_saved_desktop.jpg

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Reveal hidden contents

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Reveal hidden contents

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Thanks but that doesn't apply to my situation or the version of the product I'm using.

Just to address the scenario you describe regarding scanning your system manually; every time that a scan is initiated in Malwarebytes, either by the user or by the scheduler, Malwarebytes checks for updates at the start before proceeding with the scan.  This means that there is no need to manually check for updates prior to scanning because Malwarebytes is going to update itself as soon as you launch the scan anyway.  This was implemented in version 3 and continues to work this way in version 4 (this is why you always see 'Checking for updates' as the first phase of any scan).

Yes, they do which is why by default Malwarebytes checks for updates once every hour starting at system startup by default for the Premium version (and for the free version it doesn't matter since there is no real-time protection in the free version, only scanning meaning any time a free user goes to scan anything it checks for updates anyway).

Excellent reminder about "new program version" metering, Samuel     😀   Notification windows for new upgrades are metered  & measured out over time.

For those on version 3.8.3   and want to upgrade to version 4.0.4

Start Malwarebytes, click on Settings
then click Applications tab
then click on Install Application Updates

Follow all prompts.  Have lots of patience.

For those on version 4.x  do this:

Start Malwarebytes.  Click the Settings  ( gear  ) icon at the top right of top bar.

Click the button marked " Check for Updates ".

Cheers.

Yes, that's correct.  Manual update checks override metering for program version releases.  Automatic/scheduled updates and updates at the beginning of scans do not (and I'd argue they shouldn't check for new versions during scans since an install attempting to launch prior to a scan would prevent the scan from running).