Kaspersky Total Security 2020 hangs with MBAM

8 minutes ago, exile360 said:

It is possible that it will start once the system is rebooted or that the behavior is slightly different with patch j.  I don't have a lot of data about it except from a single user that reported that they started seeing the same performance issues once patch j was installed.  Hopefully I am wrong and the issue will not impact your system, but please keep us updated on the status if there are any changes or new developments.

Thanks

@exile360 Will do.  

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, PaulPaulsen said:

Currently im using KIS 19 patch (j) and dont have the problems that occur with KIS 20.

Same here.  I personally am not experiencing any conflict using KIS 19 (j).  I've been keeping an eye on any unmanageable processes and haven't yet seen any.

This thread is a lifesaver!   I attempted to install Kaspersky 2020 on a new Windows 10 system, that already has Malwarebytes Premium running on it.  The Kaspersky installation never completed.  So, I'll monitor this thread, to learn about the resolution to the issue, before I attempt to install again.

Peace...

Just wanted to add on to what others here have said regarding Kaspersky Internet Security 2019 with Patch "J" and Malwarebytes 4....I also have not experienced a problem between

these two and will remain on KIS 2019 with patch J until a resolution between Kaspersky 2020 and Malwarebytes is found.

6 hours ago, exile360 said:

So you mean even with Ransomware Protection enabled you are no longer experiencing any issues?  If so then that's great news and I hope that this new build resolves the problems for everyone.

Not really, only those on KIS19, seems problem still exists on KIS20 as per JBraner's earlier post.

41 minutes ago, DrMopp said:

Not really, only those on KIS19, seems problem still exists on KIS20 as per JBraner's earlier post.

That's exactly what I'm seeing too, DrMopp.  Running KIS20 (20.0.14.1085(g)), but had to drop back to MB 3.8.3 and turn off the Ransomware real-time protection module in order to avoid the crippling problems running key programs.  This configuration is running VERY well for me though, both KIS and MB are running smoothly, doing their automatic scan vector updates, finding problems occasionally and displaying their actions (normal and warnings) properly in the tray area.  I also appreciated the tips provided elsewhere on this forum as to disabling automatic version updates and the annoying pop-up box advising that a new update is available. 

1 hour ago, DrMopp said:

I see, that's unfortunate.  I was hoping the issue was finally resolved.  Hopefully their upcoming patch 'g' which I saw mentioned recently on their forums will fix it, assuming it has the same code change that fixed the issue for the 2019 version.

1 minute ago, exile360 said:

I see, that's unfortunate.  I was hoping the issue was finally resolved.  Hopefully their upcoming patch 'g' which I saw mentioned recently on their forums will fix it, assuming it has the same code change that fixed the issue for the 2019 version.

I appear to have KIS patch 'g', but have not tried MB 4.0 with it yet.  Like DrMopp, I also spent a lot of time when first trying to solve the problem and don't have the courage (or time) right now to open up those problems again until I'm pretty sure that either KIS or MB has resolved the incompatibility issue.  I didn't get to the point of reinstalling Windows 10, but thought I was going to have to do that after failing on a couple of system restore attempts.  Good backups and having Firefox sync engaged saved me wasting even more time since I uninstalled/installed it several times too - LOTS of system reboots, MB uninstalls and reinstalls, etc. 

KIS_Version.jpg

Doesn't simply disabling Ransomware Protection in Malwarebytes eliminate the issues?  If so, it shouldn't be necessary to go to all that trouble to get your system functioning properly again using that as a fallback until the issue is resolved and it should enable you to test the new updates to see if they have fixed it, and if you find the issue is still present, simply disable Ransomware Protection once more and await another update.

Doesn't simply disabling Ransomware Protection in Malwarebytes eliminate the issues?  If so, it shouldn't be necessary to go to all that trouble to get your system functioning properly again using that as a fallback until the issue is resolved and it should enable you to test the new updates to see if they have fixed it, and if you find the issue is still present, simply disable Ransomware Protection once more and await another update.

Disabling Ransomware while using MB 3.8.3 works nicely.  I was running MB 4.0 at the time the KIS20 "evil" patch was released.  Disabling Ransomware in MB 4.0 does NOT eliminate the issues.  I had already done that before MB upgraded to 4.0 in order to get it to work. 

Unfortunately, like DrMopp and probably many others, I did not know all of that when the new problems first occured.  In fact, I didn't even know it was a MB/KIS incompatibility problem initially.  Looked like a Firefox, Thunderbird, etc problem to me since multiple instances (one of which would never close) appeared on the Task Manager.    Although I had disabled Ransomware a month or so before these recent issues came up (and had MB/KIS working nicely together until the new KIS patch combined with MB 4.0), I wasn't smart enough to immediately find the temporary fix.  The information from you and this forum enabled me to do that. 

40 minutes ago, exile360 said:

That's a bummer.  I didn't realize that disabling Ransomware Protection didn't eliminate the issues with 4.0.

Yeah, would be nice if I'm wrong about that or that things change in the near future, but in the meantime I'm encouraged by the communications and information available from Malwarebytes here on this forum from people like yourself and other users who are willing to take the time to share their experiences. ............Jim

Yeah, I wish there were more we could do, but unfortunately we're at the mercy of the devs, Kaspersky's in particular for the moment, but I'm still hopeful that they will come up with a solution as they have in the past when conflicts arose (I used to work as Product Manager for Malwarebytes and had multiple occasions to work directly with Kaspersky to correct past conflicts between the two applications and they were always willing to help).

Yeah, I wish there were more we could do, but unfortunately we're at the mercy of the devs, Kaspersky's in particular for the moment, but I'm still hopeful that they will come up with a solution as they have in the past when conflicts arose (I used to work as Product Manager for Malwarebytes and had multiple occasions to work directly with Kaspersky to correct past conflicts between the two applications and they were always willing to help).

Thanks, that's good to hear.  Didn't have any idea what the corporate or developer relationships were like between the two companies.  Lots of us out here in user-land obviously like to run both programs. 

Disabling Ransomware while using MB 3.8.3 works nicely.  I was running MB 4.0 at the time the KIS20 "evil" patch was released.  Disabling Ransomware in MB 4.0 does NOT eliminate the issues.  I had already done that before MB upgraded to 4.0 in order to get it to work. 

Hmm - it works OK here. Try disabling Ransomeware protection and Exploit protection - that works fine here with MB 4 and KTS 2020.

Hello @KR9E

Can you please try a couple of things to see if it helps just a bit ?

Start ( open ) the Kaspersky application.

Look down on the first screen, look for and click on the gear icon  ( Settings )

image.png.fbbda47c46b5eaaea390b3ea25ae8408.png

On the Settings screen, click on “Additional”   from the list on the left.

Next, click on Threats and Exclusions from the list on the right-side pane.

Look for the section "Advanced disinfection".   Un-tick   ( clear ) the box for Enable advanced disinfection technology.

image.png.85420e3d7845791c95a74e0e76572f83.png

Next

Click on “Specify trusted applications

To get going, click the Add button

click the Browse button

Once you clicked the Browse button, the objective is to guide this to where Malwarebytes for Windows is installed.

From the left-side pane navigation, pick C drive

Then click Program Files  to expand  & scroll down

Then click   Malwarebytes  to expand

Then  click Anti-Malware to expand.   Then focus on the EXE files to select each

Click on Assistant.exe  & click on the Open button to make that pick

You will be prompted by Kaspersky at each line, so click the Continue button to confirm  ( each )

Then repeat the same way for each of these as well

IG.exe

Malwarebytes_assistant.exe

Mbam.exe

MBAMInstallerService.exe

MBamPt.exe

MBAMService.exe

Mbamtray.exe

mbuns.exe

Mbamwow.exe

mbamWsc.exe

Apply the adjustments.   When all done, click the X  on the upper top right of the window.

Go back to the Threats and Exclusions section of Kaspersky

Click on  “Manage Exclusions”

Click the Add button

On the next screen that shows “add new exclusion”  click the BROWSE button

Enter

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes

And click Add

Your screen should look like this

image.png.e40396cabb860bdf22bc5f116fde79f2.png

Click the upper most X button at top to close.

When done, close the Kaspersky dialog windows.

Note:  These are intended to help out.  They are not meant as a total absolute cure-all for every single case.  But they should help.

If there is still some holdup in starting a specific web browser  ( or two) or some other application,  then add that specific application as a Exclusion in Malwarebytes.

Exclude affected applications within Malwarebytes.

As I said earlier, I'm a little short of time to experiment (having surgery later this month and trying to get several things done) so not inclined to go back to MB 4.0 until I have more time since 3.8.3 and KIS are working fine together (with Ransomware off).  If the problem would still be there I'd be without at least Firefox and Thunderbird until I found enough time to uninstall 4.0 and revert to 3.8.3.  I think I'd be faster at it having done that a few times though!  I appreciate the suggestions and will certainly try them later.  Have excluded Malwarebytes in KIS for several months, but not specified the individual files that Maurice mentioned as trusted applications, just mbam.exe.

Thanks....................Jim