smipx013

Kaspersky Total Security 2020 hangs with MBAM

Before it looks to forum members like my train of thought ends in mid sentence I meant to say in the first paragraph: I've analysed the processes of said programs and they are now closing properly with KIS version 19 installed.    😂

Thanks for confirming, @alhazred. This is consistent with our findings. The issue is only exhibited with version 20.0.14.1085 patch e of the installed Kaspersky product. It does not occur with patch d or earlier patches/versions.

Edited by LiquidTension

I would also like to say:   Thank you, Alhazred, for your input and confimation.

Cheers.

On 11/8/2019 at 8:39 PM, Maurice Naggar said:

I would also like to say:   Thank you, Alhazred, for your input and confimation.

Cheers.

Thanks, Maurice!

Windows 10 here.

I've had the same problem with Kaspersky Total Security 2020 and Malwarebytes 3 and now 4.

I've tried the suggestions here - but I still have to disable realtime Ransomware Protection and Exploit Protection.

I can live with this, as I've had a complete PIA week - I couldn't load Firefox, Thunderbird or iTunes or the setup screen for the icloud client. Also some problems updating Freefile sync.

Everything is fine without Kaspersky or without Malwarebytes, or with both running and just those two settings disabled in Malwarebytes.

I've had enough tinkering rebooting, hanging, hourglasses etc - I'll live like this ;)

(and will keep an eye on this thread)

I can't see how to edit a post - so will add this.

I wish I had seen this thread earlier - my problem started on Oct 31 too, and is exaclty like what you guys are seeing. ;)

1 hour ago, jbraner said:

Windows 10 here.

1 hour ago, jbraner said:

Everything is fine without Kaspersky

Windows Defender and Malwarebytes is a pretty robust combination.

bonjour moi pour instant jai enlever MBAM et laisser Kis V20 en espèrent une mis a jour  pour les refaire cohabiter ( Car les 2 licence vien  d etre payer le moi dernier (

I was experiencing the same issue from the moment I updated Kaspersky Total Security a few days ago and restarted my system (as Kaspersky asked for). I even tried a clean install (Windows 10, etc) but no success at all. So I performed another clean install, no Kaspersky this time. Now I have everything working flawlessly w/o Kaspersky. I've been using Kaspersky for years and I really like it. But I won't install it again untill Kaspersky + MBAM work together again with no issues.

I would add to this thread, I have dozens of clients with Kaspersky Total Security Malwarebytes Premium.  Half a dozen called on the first day of this problem and many more after.  I spent half a day troubleshooting before ultimately removing Malwarebytes.  Exclude all web and email clients is not a solution, they are the entire reason people have protection.  Likewise removing antivirus is not a solution.  I hope Malwarebytes comes up with an actual fix.  Until then, they are losing my business.  Thank you.

5 minutes ago, silekonn said:

I would add to this thread, I have dozens of clients with Kaspersky Total Security Malwarebytes Premium.  Half a dozen called on the first day of this problem and many more after.  I spent half a day troubleshooting before ultimately removing Malwarebytes.  Exclude all web and email clients is not a solution, they are the entire reason people have protection.  Likewise removing antivirus is not a solution.  I hope Malwarebytes comes up with an actual fix.  Until then, they are losing my business.  Thank you.

That is unfortunate, but understandable since your clients obviously cannot use systems that are unstable.  That said, this issue did not occur until an update (patch 'e') to Kaspersky's products was released, so it was nothing that Malwarebytes' Developers did on their end that resulted in this issue; it was Kaspersky.  However, both Malwarebytes and Kaspersky are working together to resolve this issue as soon as possible so hopefully it won't be too long until the issue is resolved.

In the meantime, disabling Ransomware Protection in Malwarebytes seems to allow the two programs to work alongside each other.  Another option is to remove the Kaspersky patch and install a previous build of the Kaspersky product being used.

Edited by exile360

Hello, the same issue with KIS and mbam 4 exist with Gdata antivirus. I have create a post, but no response.

35 minutes ago, Fatcap said:

I have create a post, but no response.

It is the weekend and less help is available.

Unfortunately I have not heard of any updates from Kaspersky's side.  It is very likely their developers that will have to correct this issue since it was a change in their most recent release that caused the problems in the first place; they have already been contacted by Malwarebytes and are hopefully working on the issue already but I am not aware of any status updates at this point.

I am sure that a member of the Malwarebytes staff will update this thread as soon as there is any news to report as they tend to be very good about such things here on the forums with issues that are being worked on.

Do the Malwarebytes software engineers understand the problem?  Do the Malwarebytes software engineers know what needs to be altered or corrected?  Do there exist direct communication with software engineers or anyone who has knowledge of the technical problem?

Given the choice users will select their antivirus over Malwarebytes.

More information than 'we hope another company will correct a problem that is clearly documented on their side they do not intend to work with (see: installer directly explains Malwarebytes is incompatible and forces you to uncheck Remove Automatically to keep it)' would be appreciated.

It has been /a month,/ or 1/12th of a yearly Malwarebytes subscription.  If Malwarebytes staff are implying their software not working and causing issues with email and browser applications when installed aside other solutions should be corrected "by other companies" that is, minimally, unrealistic.

Please provide a better response than "we hope someone else is working on it."

Please keep in mind I don't personally have direct contact with the Devs so I don't know the technical details.  That said, you can trace back this issue to where it started and it began with patch 'e' of Kaspersky 2020, and later they released patch 'j' for their 2019 product line that caused the same issue.  In both instances it was not a change in Malwarebytes' code/product that caused the problem so I am not certain that a solution is even possible from Malwarebytes' side at all, however I am sure that Malwarebytes' Developers are investigating the issue and if a fix on their side is possible I am sure that they will implement it.

With all of that said, I used to work for Malwarebytes in Product Management as well as QA and worked directly with Malwarebytes' Developers when I did and there were several occasions where conflicts/issues arose with Kaspersky and in each instance we were able to reach out to Kaspersky and get them to implement a fix by working with our team to collect the necessary information and technical data to track down the root cause and solution in their code, and I am confident that this time it will be no different.  In fact members of Malwarebytes' staff have already confirmed that they are in contact with Kaspersky on this issue so I am sure it is only a matter of time before the issue is corrected.

As for what users decide to do in the meantime in the case of an incompatibility, my advice would simply be to just disable the individual component in Malwarebytes known to be conflicting with the new Kaspersky versions, Ransomware Protection, as this will enable users to still have protection from both products, shy only a single module which is a very reactive component at that, and arguably the least proactive/most reactive component in Malwarebytes as it only monitors memory to look for active ransomware behavior (attempted file encryption/data modification etc.), so as long as the other components in Malwarebytes (as well as those in Kaspersky for users who also have that product) are doing their jobs well, the Ransomware Protection component should never be needed.

In fact, I myself have kept Ransomware Protection disabled pretty much since it was first integrated into Malwarebytes due to the fact that it has been known to have a small measurable impact on system performance, and because I am a gamer, I like to have all of the performance available from my hardware that I possibly can.  Of course in all that time my system has never been infected with anything, ransomware or otherwise, however Malwarebytes has blocked/prevented plenty of threats.  This is another reason I am quite confident making this recommendation.  I also consider the fact that ransomware never just magically shows up and executes on its own.  It is always brought in by some exploit, Trojan or other threat that is likely to trigger one of Malwarebytes' other defenses, thus preventing the ransomware from ever reaching the system, much less actually executing in memory and attempting to encrypt any data.  Besides this, there are also threat signatures and heuristics which are likely to target and detect ransomware executables before they even enter memory anyway which again reduces the probability of any such threat getting to the stage where Ransomware Protection might detect it.

Don't get me wrong, Ransomware Protection in Malwarebytes is a great piece of technology and is very effective at what it does, however it is more of a last resort/last line of defense against ransomware rather than a proactive layer on the front lines.  It is more of an emergency measure should all other protections fail to thwart the attack, and in that regard it is very useful for that purpose, however the actual circumstances which make it necessary tend to be extremely rare, particularly because of how ransomware is typically deployed, utilizing methods such as exploits and downloaders that are very likely to be detected and disrupted by the many other layers of protection in Malwarebytes, and that doesn't even factor in Kaspersky's protection which gives you an even greater chance of catching any such threats long before they ever reach the phase of actually attempting to encrypt your data.

I apologize for the long winded reply, I just wanted to give a comprehensive response because I know that a lot of users are concerned about this issue, and while I know it is being actively worked on, I also know that there is a viable alternative in the meantime that will not greatly compromise affected users' protection without needing to choose between Malwarebytes and Kaspersky so I hope this helps, and I hope that this advice is soon rendered moot and that this issue is promptly corrected, either by the Devs at Kaspersky Labs, at Malwarebytes, or through the efforts of both.

FYI, KSCF has updated to Patch 'F' on my machine.  I haven't had a chance to test compatibility with Malwarebytes as of yet.

Thanks for the info.  Please let us know how it goes if you decide to test them.  Hopefully the issue is fixed in Kaspersky's latest update.

From the links below, it looks as if Kaspersky 20 patch F and Kaspersky 19 patch J both primarily address vulnerabilities in their software. As the Kasp19 patch J postdates Kasp. 20 patch F, then If the issue is present in the patch J, I'd be surprised if they'd fixed it in patch F.... 

Info about Kaspersky patches....See...

https://community.kaspersky.com/kaspersky-internet-security-13/new-patch-f-for-kis-2020-5734 (relevant thread of Kasp. forum - interesting post from @richbuff in there - Patch "G" soon...- but no info on content if that.)

https://support.kaspersky.com/14378 (Kasp. 20 rel notes)

https://support.kaspersky.com/13875 (Kasp. 19 rel notes)

Do we now have a FIRM picture that patch J for Kaspersky 19 introduced the issue for Kasp. 19 users? (I've seen, I think one post here that I took as probably credible, plus @Exile360's assertion that it was affected in the very useful post above (thanks). I'm advising a (remote) person still using KIS 19 (we have MWB Ransomware module disabled for now), and am still looking for more evidence that patch J is actually affected.

To be clear, I've only heard this info regarding patch J introducing the issue in Kaspersky 19 from one user, however it also happens to be the only user I know of for certain that decided to alleviate the issue by rolling back to the older Kaspersky build, so while it is somewhat anecdotal, I do consider it to have merit and expect that anyone who installs patch J on version 19 to experience the same issues we've been observing with the latest Kaspersky 20 builds.

1 hour ago, exile360 said:

To be clear, I've only heard this info regarding patch J introducing the issue in Kaspersky 19 from one user, however it also happens to be the only user I know of for certain that decided to alleviate the issue by rolling back to the older Kaspersky build, so while it is somewhat anecdotal, I do consider it to have merit and expect that anyone who installs patch J on version 19 to experience the same issues we've been observing with the latest Kaspersky 20 builds.

Thanks, That was exactly my take on it as well.... 

On 12/1/2019 at 2:31 AM, exile360 said:

Please keep in mind I don't personally have direct contact with the Devs so I don't know the technical details.  That said, you can trace back this issue to where it started and it began with patch 'e' of Kaspersky 2020, and later they released patch 'j' for their 2019 product line that caused the same issue.  In both instances it was not a change in Malwarebytes' code/product that caused the problem so I am not certain that a solution is even possible from Malwarebytes' side at all, however I am sure that Malwarebytes' Developers are investigating the issue and if a fix on their side is possible I am sure that they will implement it.

With all of that said, I used to work for Malwarebytes in Product Management as well as QA and worked directly with Malwarebytes' Developers when I did and there were several occasions where conflicts/issues arose with Kaspersky and in each instance we were able to reach out to Kaspersky and get them to implement a fix by working with our team to collect the necessary information and technical data to track down the root cause and solution in their code, and I am confident that this time it will be no different.  In fact members of Malwarebytes' staff have already confirmed that they are in contact with Kaspersky on this issue so I am sure it is only a matter of time before the issue is corrected.

As for what users decide to do in the meantime in the case of an incompatibility, my advice would simply be to just disable the individual component in Malwarebytes known to be conflicting with the new Kaspersky versions, Ransomware Protection, as this will enable users to still have protection from both products, shy only a single module which is a very reactive component at that, and arguably the least proactive/most reactive component in Malwarebytes as it only monitors memory to look for active ransomware behavior (attempted file encryption/data modification etc.), so as long as the other components in Malwarebytes (as well as those in Kaspersky for users who also have that product) are doing their jobs well, the Ransomware Protection component should never be needed.

In fact, I myself have kept Ransomware Protection disabled pretty much since it was first integrated into Malwarebytes due to the fact that it has been known to have a small measurable impact on system performance, and because I am a gamer, I like to have all of the performance available from my hardware that I possibly can.  Of course in all that time my system has never been infected with anything, ransomware or otherwise, however Malwarebytes has blocked/prevented plenty of threats.  This is another reason I am quite confident making this recommendation.  I also consider the fact that ransomware never just magically shows up and executes on its own.  It is always brought in by some exploit, Trojan or other threat that is likely to trigger one of Malwarebytes' other defenses, thus preventing the ransomware from ever reaching the system, much less actually executing in memory and attempting to encrypt any data.  Besides this, there are also threat signatures and heuristics which are likely to target and detect ransomware executables before they even enter memory anyway which again reduces the probability of any such threat getting to the stage where Ransomware Protection might detect it.

Don't get me wrong, Ransomware Protection in Malwarebytes is a great piece of technology and is very effective at what it does, however it is more of a last resort/last line of defense against ransomware rather than a proactive layer on the front lines.  It is more of an emergency measure should all other protections fail to thwart the attack, and in that regard it is very useful for that purpose, however the actual circumstances which make it necessary tend to be extremely rare, particularly because of how ransomware is typically deployed, utilizing methods such as exploits and downloaders that are very likely to be detected and disrupted by the many other layers of protection in Malwarebytes, and that doesn't even factor in Kaspersky's protection which gives you an even greater chance of catching any such threats long before they ever reach the phase of actually attempting to encrypt your data.

I apologize for the long winded reply, I just wanted to give a comprehensive response because I know that a lot of users are concerned about this issue, and while I know it is being actively worked on, I also know that there is a viable alternative in the meantime that will not greatly compromise affected users' protection without needing to choose between Malwarebytes and Kaspersky so I hope this helps, and I hope that this advice is soon rendered moot and that this issue is promptly corrected, either by the Devs at Kaspersky Labs, at Malwarebytes, or through the efforts of both.

Interesting reply Exile360.  I went back to KIS 19.0.0.1088(i) to avoid the conflict and I've just noticed my version of KIS has updated to patch j, so obviously my Ransomware component has been enabled, but I haven't noticed any conflict yet.   I've been opening and closing Firefox with no problems, which was one of the main applications affected with KIS 20.0.14.1085 (e).

It is possible that it will start once the system is rebooted or that the behavior is slightly different with patch j.  I don't have a lot of data about it except from a single user that reported that they started seeing the same performance issues once patch j was installed.  Hopefully I am wrong and the issue will not impact your system, but please keep us updated on the status if there are any changes or new developments.

Thanks