arleetel

Malwarebytes not working any more with KIS 20.0.14.1085 (e)

2.  Disable Ransomware in MBAM and wait until the next thing breaks between the two and then disable that also and so on and so on

The only proper solution here is for Malwarebytes to modify its product to make it work with Kaspersky as all the other solutions are either never going to happen or are not at all desirable.

If the first statement quoted above is accurate from your point 2. then that last statement won't work in the long term either, as Kaspersky will inevitably make some other change that renders the two products incompatible.  I am not saying that a solution is not possible from Malwarebytes' side, however even if it is, there is no guarantee that it will last because as you say, it's only a matter of time until the next thing breaks.

Honestly, I've been around Malwarebytes for a long time and at one time worked for them in a prominent position (I was the Product Manager for ALL of their products) and I had dealings directly with Kaspersky as well as through Malwarebytes' Developers working with Kaspersky through several incompatibilities in the past and we were always able to find a resolution, usually through the willingness of Kaspersky's developers to work with us to resolve them.  Also bear in mind that at one time I also frequented the Kaspersky Labs forums and I know for a fact that none of Kaspersky's actual product team or developers ever post on their forums.  They simply have loyal volunteers who handle support there and none of them has direct communication with Kaspersky's developers to my knowledge so it is very likely that they are simply stating the same thing that they have always stated with regards to the compatibility of Kaspersky with any other security products in that they will not officially support it and that there is nothing to fix.  This does not mean that their product management team and developers feel the same way, nor does it mean that they will not work with Malwarebytes to resolve this issue.  I know because that is what they have always said publicly (it is the same reason Kaspersky has the longest 'incompatible software' list out of all the major AV vendors and they always have), yet they always worked with us to resolve conflicts and compatibility issues in the past, and that information comes from first-hand experience, not claims or statements by either company.

That's all useful stuff. Thanks exile360.

My comments were borne out of frustration rather than any criticism of Malwarebytes 🙂

Here's hoping things get sorted.

Cheers,

Paul

I just read through all this and now understand why I've been having all the issues in the last few days after installing version 4. 

I have a few questions below hoping I can be advised how to proceed.

1. Since none of these issues happen with MalwareBytes version 3 is it better to stay with that?

2. Am I losing anything with version 3 vs version 4 as far as security?

3. Is it safer to keep version 3 vs using version 4 with malware protection off? (The main reason I started and continue to use MalwareBytes is to avoid being ransomed again like I was with Cryptowall)

4. Where can I download the latest Premium version 3?

Thanks,

Jim

1 hour ago, jimsarles said:

1. Since none of these issues happen with MalwareBytes version 3 is it better to stay with that?

It is also happening to some with ver 3 as well

Yes, 4 has improvements

3. Is it safer to keep version 3 vs using version 4 with malware protection off? (The main reason I started and continue to use MalwareBytes is to avoid being ransomed again like I was with Cryptowall)

Being a Defender/MB user I cant say but, It is up to you

4. Where can I download the latest Premium version 3?

Do not have the link handy but if you REALLY want it some one will post for you but see your question number 1.

Thank you Porthos for those answers.

I'm starting to wonder if I should switch to another Total Security Program.

Does anyone have any recommendations who I could consider switching to that I wouldn't have these problems with MalwareBytes?

Am I wrong in thinking I need to continue with MalwareBytes or is it not necessary with Kaspersky?

2 minutes ago, jimsarles said:

I'm starting to wonder if I should switch to another Total Security Program.

No product is 100%. I believe that a image backup to a external  (non connected except during backups) drive monthly is more important than all the security programs in the world.

5 minutes ago, jimsarles said:

Am I wrong in thinking I need to continue with MalwareBytes or is it not necessary with Kaspersky?

I am partial to MB since I have had it since it was created. I would happily pay the sub if I did not have lifetime licenses.

In the end, it is your wallet. computer and choice. 

I feel perfectly safe with Defender, MB Premium, Browser guard, Ublock Origin with my Firefox. Of course, common sense with mail and attachments and shady program/ sites.

Thank you for your thoughts. 

It's interesting that I've just read some results in testing that claim Kaseprsky Total Protection is much better than MalwareBytes in the anti-ransomware area so now I'm very confused. Is there any truth to this and if so why have MalwareBytes with all these issues.

On the other hand I'm now considering going with another Total Security so that I can use MalwareBytes.

A few people suggested BitDefender Total Security. Are there any known conflicts with MalwareBytes?

Thanks.

Also, are there any other recommendations for Total Security Programs that work well with MalwareBytes? (Especially low impact on system performance)

Thanks.

18 hours ago, jimsarles said:

I just read through all this and now understand why I've been having all the issues in the last few days after installing version 4. 

I have a few questions below hoping I can be advised how to proceed.

Hi Jim,

1. Unfortunately I am using MBAM 3.8.3 and still have the issue so that isn't a solution. I am currently just running with the Ransonware protection disabled but the rest of the real time protection modules running in conjunction with KIS 20 Patch e.

2 & 3. I haven't updated to MBAM 4 yet simply because I like to leave it a little while after a major update so that all the initial bugs surface and are ironed out but I do plan to upgrade at some point. According to the changelog there have been lots of improvements to the detection engine etc. so it probably provides better security than version 3. I don't think you need to disable all real time protection just the Ransomware detection module of the realtime protection so you can run all the others. In truth KIS is supposed to be pretty good at stopping these too I just tend to go for the layered approach hence why i also run MBAM (and in fact TDS-3 back in the day before it), whether this is strictly necessary I can't really say but it makes me feel a little better.

Thank you for that info MorpheusUK. I'm disappointed because I had hopes of being able to run both programs. I spent the last few days with issues with Kaspersky even trying to uninstall it to reinstall version 20 on fresh computer images from Macrium and I had nothing but problems. It didn't matter what I turned off in MalwareBytes. I even turned everything off and quit the program and still the same issues. I finally gave up and uninstalled MalwareBytes and everything was fine. Kaspersky uninstalled and reinstalled in seconds. 

Even though I would love to reinstall MalwareBytes I do have a concern that there's nothing MalwareBytes can do to fix this issue. If it's left to Kaspersky it seems like it's not going to get resolved since they don't have any motivation to do so. If I have to choose one or the other I feel safer running Kaspersky.

Does anyone recommend using Bitdefender Total Security vs Kaseprsky?

Are there any know issues with Bitdefender and it more friendly with MalwareBytes?

Bitdefender is a highly rated AV just like Kaspersky.  I don't know of any compatibility issues with Bitdefender and Malwarebytes and I do know that at least a few users who were experiencing this issue switched to Bitdefender and reported that they had no issues after doing so and that their system performance was greatly improved.

6 hours ago, jimsarles said:

Does anyone recommend using Bitdefender Total Security vs Kaseprsky?

Are there any know issues with Bitdefender and it more friendly with MalwareBytes?

Kaspersky Total Security 2018 - 19.0.0.1088 (i) works perfectly fine with Malwarebytes 3.83 (Premium)

Now here's a problem... I would have to look at the versions of Kaspersky and Malwarebytes on my other computer because those two are not getting along at all. That one has the regular Kaspersky antivirus on it and it's the latest version. To fix that issue I did have to disable the ransomware protection in Malwarebytes. 

I had Bitdefender installed on another computer 2 years ago and it dragged the computer down more than Kaspersky has. I have a unused full year Bitdefender code that I'm not using. While Bitdefender gets a high rating like Kaspersky does I just didn't like it and I have played with it off and on over the years. I keep going back to Kaspersky. I did like Avira at one time, but when they changed things I got away from it. I've been using Kaspersky since 1996 when it was "AVP" (Antiviral Toolkit Pro) ever since the Win CIH aka Chernobyl virus hit.

This is all very interesting. It seems even if I went with Bitdefender and there happen to be no issues currently there is always a concern that there may be issues down the road with it too. Which then leaves it up to Bitdefender to work with MalwareBytes to resolve it. And I'm thinking that probably isn't realistic since I was reading on this forum that the end of last year there was also a bunch of issues with Bitdefender.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me this is MalwareBytes job to make their program work with others not the other way around. I may be naive in this thinking I don't know. It just seems logical to me.

Is there an easier workaround to all of this? I had even tried turning everything off in MalwareBytes with exclusions in both Kaspersky 2020 and MalwareBytes and that didn't even help.

Hi @jimsarles ,

Known workarounds can be found here: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/253165-malwarebytes-not-working-any-more-with-kis-200141085-e/?do=findComment&comment=1343422

We are still in the process of investigating this issue and If it is possible for us to address it with a change in Malwarebytes, we will certainly be exploring this further.

Thanks LiquidTension.

I tried Method 2 and Method 3 below and even quit MalwareBytes with no success of my pcs running normal. It wasn't until I uninstalled MalwareBytes again that things went back to normal so I have a couple of follow up questions while waiting for tech support to hopefully find a solution from the reports they asked me to send.

1. Is there a way to stop Malwarebytes completely from running at Windows startup besides turning it off in the program? I have still found problems with this feature turned off as well as the Ransomware feature.

2. Is it still worth using MalwareBytes if can only use it for scans?

Thanks

• Method 1: Uninstall the Kaspersky product.
  • Method 2: Exclude affected applications within Malwarebytes.
  • Method 3: Disable Ransomware Protection in Malwarebytes.

The same problems are to be counted between mbam 4 and Gdata antivirus. The system froze and took a long time to answer.

I tried Method 2 and Method 3 below and even quit MalwareBytes with no success of my pcs running normal.

To confirm, did you restart the computer after disabling Ransomware Protection/quitting Malwarebytes? If you are running Windows 8+, ensure you use the Restart option; not Shut down.

1. Is there a way to stop Malwarebytes completely from running at Windows startup besides turning it off in the program? I have still found problems with this feature turned off as well as the Ransomware feature.

If you disable the startup setting within the Malwarebytes settings (under Security) and restart the computer, Malwarebytes will not run in the next Windows session.
The issue with this setting occurs when Fast Startup is enabled in Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 and the Shut down option is used. A shut down with Fast Startup enabled is more of a low power hibernation. The Malwarebytes Service is not stopped in this scenario, so when the machine is resumed, Malwarebytes is still found to be running. Either disable Fast Startup or use the Restart option to perform a full shutdown.

Just to add to the information provided by LiquidTension above, instructions on disabling fast startup can be found here as well as here.

LiquidTension wow you know I didn't reboot it. I turned it off every time and turned it back on. When I rebooted the main program update install I use to test worked after rebooting. Then I updated to Version 4 and followed the same procedure in testing with just turning it off vs rebooting and the same exact thing. I don't know if I will experience any other problems but I'm going to leave it in this state for a while with ransomware off in Version 4 and see how it goes.

I'm just curious if you don't mind if you could tell me why it's different rebooting vs turning it off and on. I tried researching a bit on google and couldn't find an answer that helped me understand. 

LiquidTension and exile360 thanks for the instructions on the fast startup. I followed them and disabled it and went through the tests again and it was fine with just turning it off and then on after turning off the ransomware protection. Is that the same effect now without the fast restart as the rebooting before changing that?

The only drawback is the reason I got MalwareBytes in the first place was to protect me from ransomware after being infected with Cryptowall in 2015. Is the protection thats running without it helping at all against ransomware? I know Kaspersky has it too but I did like the idea of having Malwarebytes do this job.

Thanks!

LiquidTension wow you know I didn't reboot it. I turned it off every time and turned it back on. When I rebooted the main program update install I use to test worked after rebooting. Then I updated to Version 4 and followed the same procedure in testing with just turning it off vs rebooting and the same exact thing. I don't know if I will experience any other problems but I'm going to leave it in this state for a while with ransomware off in Version 4 and see how it goes.

I'm just curious if you don't mind if you could tell me why it's different rebooting vs turning it off and on. I tried researching a bit on google and couldn't find an answer that helped me understand. 

LiquidTension and exile360 thanks for the instructions on the fast startup. I followed them and disabled it and went through the tests again and it was fine with just turning it off and then on after turning off the ransomware protection. Is that the same effect now without the fast restart as the rebooting before changing that?

The only drawback is the reason I got MalwareBytes in the first place was to protect me from ransomware after being infected with Cryptowall in 2015. Is the protection thats running without it helping at all against ransomware? I know Kaspersky has it too but I did like the idea of having Malwarebytes do this job.

Also, one other question. I turn my pc off every night so by having the fast start turned off is that a more complete shut down?

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, jimsarles said:

if you could tell me why it's different rebooting vs turning it off and on.

Easy, With Fast start enabled (Default) a Windows 8 or 10 computer goes into a hybrid sleep instead of shutting down like previous OS's.

8 hours ago, jimsarles said:

Also, one other question. I turn my pc off every night so by having the fast start turned off is that a more complete shut down?

Yes, once fast startup is disabled it is the same as rebooting before you changed the setting.  The system now fully shuts down/restarts when you shut it down and start it up instead of using the hybrid mode it was using with fast startup enabled.

Yes, the other protection layers in Malwarebytes should definitely help to keep ransomware (and other threats) off of your system.  The Ransomware Protection component is purely behavior based and is more of a secondary layer of defense for situations where the ransomware has already gotten into your system and is running in memory.  It looks for ransomware behavior in order to try and prevent ransomware from encrypting your data by catching the threat in the act.  The other layers of defense in Malwarebytes are much more proactive and should stop most threats before it ever gets to that stage (including ransomware).

Yes, now that fast startup is disabled it is a complete shutdown.  When fast startup enabled it wasn't.

I hope this helps, and please let us know if you have any further questions or issues.

Thanks

I have the same problem here. I use MBAM together with Kaspersky Internet Security, and after upgrading KIS to version 2020 the system started to have instabilities, only returned to normal after I uninstalled MBAM. I spent three days using just KIS and the computer worked normal, but it was just installing MBAM again that started to crash everything.

On 11/28/2019 at 7:27 PM, danielfcoelho said:

I have the same problem here. I use MBAM together with Kaspersky Internet Security, and after upgrading KIS to version 2020 the system started to have instabilities, only returned to normal after I uninstalled MBAM. I spent three days using just KIS and the computer worked normal, but it was just installing MBAM again that started to crash everything.

Hi @danielfcoelho,

If you were to uninstall Kaspersky Internet Security instead of Malwarebytes and reboot, you would also find the computer functions normally. The issue is caused by a conflict between both programs; not by Malwarebytes alone. The issue was first introduced after Kaspersky released a new update labelled "patch e".

Unfortunately, we do not have any updates on the topic at this current time. The latest information/workarounds can be found in the following post:
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/253165-malwarebytes-not-working-any-more-with-kis-200141085-e/?do=findComment&comment=1343422

Edited by LiquidTension