Malwarebytes not working any more with KIS 20.0.14.1085 (e)

Hello,

From that latest patch (e)Kaspersky decided that malwarebytes is not compatible any more with their software. I think that they finally got us to uninstall mbam. This is to me a very low move from Kaspersky. For the moment I disabled mbam to start with windows in the hope that there will be a solution at a later date.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column

mbst_get_started.jpg

7. Click the Gather Logs button

mbst_advanced_gather_logs.jpg

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

mbst_getting_logs.jpg

9. Upon completion, a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be found on your Desktop. Click OK

mbst_log_saved_desktop.jpg

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

8 hours ago, arleetel said:

Hello,

From that latest patch (e)Kaspersky decided that malwarebytes is not compatible any more with their software. I think that they finally got us to uninstall mbam. This is to me a very low move from Kaspersky. For the moment I disabled mbam to start with windows in the hope that there will be a solution at a later date.

yes i have problems to...i whait to see if staff make any changes...for now i unistall mbam to...

Hi,

Yes a lot of us have that problem, downloading that support tool will show nothing because I had to stop mbam to start with windows in order to be able to use google chrome again. Mozilla Thunderbird and CCleaner were crippled as well, tried to use IE but after a while webpages were not even loading any more, tried a GSI and this one also only worked with mbam disabled. The whole computer became unusable. Kaspersky support advised to uninstall mbam because of the real time protection interfering with their product.

I really hope to be able to use mbam again .Malwarebytes browser guard is still working for the time being.

Has anyone tried disabling individual components of Kaspersky to try and determine exactly which component is causing the issue?  Likewise, has anyone tried individually disabling the various components of Malwarebytes to see which component is conflicting?  This information would be most helpful for any Developers trying to correct this issue.

In Malwarebytes there are 4 individual protection components plus the self-protection component that are active on a typical installation:

Malware Protection
Web Protection
Exploit Protection
Ransomware Protection

Each of these can be disabled via the settings or by using the checkboxes provided in the right-click context menu of the Malwarebytes tray icon.

To disable self-protection, the setting is in the main Malwarebytes UI located under Settings>Protection under the startup options section and is called Enable self-protection.

I'm not sure what the settings/modules in Kaspersky look like as I do not have any of their products installed at the moment, but I expect there should be some kind of options to disable individual protection/real-time components somewhere in the program's settings to test.

Edited by exile360

Hi Admins,  Please can you merge the thread below.....

into this thread as its the same issue I think. Information in that thread may be of use to you here. 🙂

thanks...

FYI - Kaspersky Free has no control over what modules are on or off (all or nothing).

I will sit quietly in the background now as I have removed Kaspersky Free for the present and have replaced it with Bitdefender Free.  One of the other folk in this thread (I'm sure) will do the testing you are asking for.   When I did my own testing I had to disable all modules of MBAM to get it working again.  

Thanks

Paul

To those having issues with latest Kaspersky 2020  ( version 20.0.14.1085   the so-called e )   & have Malwarebytes Premium

I would suggest this adjustment for the Malwarebytes service  at system startup.

Set Malwarebytes Startup Type As Delayed-Auto

• Download mbamservice_delayed.reg using the link below:
    https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/15jbt7tifcetlhcgmszzb6appbak56w4
  • Right-click the Malwarebytes icon in your notification area (next to the system clock).
  • Note: You may need to click the arrow to reveal the icon.
  • Click Quit Malwarebytes followed by Yes if prompted by User Account Control.
  •  
  • Open your Downloads folder or location of the downloaded mbamservice_delayed.reg file.
  • Double-click mbamservice_delayed.reg and click Run followed by Yes if prompted by User Account Control.
  • Click Yes when prompted to continue.
  • Click OK.

Once done, please restart the computer (not Shut down)

NOTES:  Malwarebytes Premium & Kaspersky 2020  can work together.  Though I earlier had had issues ( quite sure likely from Kaspersky ) where Firefox and PaleMoon browsers ' GUI never showed when attempting to start them.  and no exceptions showed by Windows or Kaspersky,  and Malwarebytes had a lack of any "blocks".

Other note:  If anyone with Kaspersky 2020  needs to know where to make trust exclusions in either Kaspersky or MalwareBytes Premium, let me know.

4 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

To those having issues with latest Kaspersky 2020  ( version 20.0.14.1085   the so-called e )   & have Malwarebytes Premium

I would suggest this adjustment for the Malwarebytes service  at system startup.

Set Malwarebytes Startup Type As Delayed-Auto

• Download mbamservice_delayed.reg using the link below:
    https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/15jbt7tifcetlhcgmszzb6appbak56w4
  • Right-click the Malwarebytes icon in your notification area (next to the system clock).
  • Note: You may need to click the arrow to reveal the icon.
  • Click Quit Malwarebytes followed by Yes if prompted by User Account Control.
  •  
  • Open your Downloads folder or location of the downloaded mbamservice_delayed.reg file.
  • Double-click mbamservice_delayed.reg and click Run followed by Yes if prompted by User Account Control.
  • Click Yes when prompted to continue.
  • Click OK.

Once done, please restart the computer (not Shut down)

NOTES:  Malwarebytes Premium & Kaspersky 2020  can work together.  Though I earlier had had issues ( quite sure likely from Kaspersky ) where Firefox and PaleMoon browsers ' GUI never showed when attempting to start them.  and no exceptions showed by Windows or Kaspersky,  and Malwarebytes had a lack of any "blocks".

Other note:  If anyone with Kaspersky 2020  needs to know where to make trust exclusions in either Kaspersky or MalwareBytes Premium, let me know.

I think you are correct in saying it's a Kaspersky issue. If I read you correctly I am having the same issue as you where I start Firefox or Chrome and they never appear or they sit there in a "loading state." I may try and locate the previous version of Kaspersky and go back to using it. I would greatly appreciate it if you could post the "trust exclusions" you speak of for BOTH Kaspersky and MBAM. Thank you!

Well I'd guess as well that Kaspersky must have changed something on their end

Anyways I reinstalled malwarebytes and for this little exercise I also added exclusions for everything malwarebytes related I could find in the application control. I never did so in any of the previous version of kaspersky including 2.0.14 1085d so I admittedly I can't with absolute certainty rule out that I didn't forget an entry but I am confident I didn't. Anyways afterwards I added the suggested dword and restarted. As far as I can tell it didn't change anything.

So this is what was causing problems to my PC..

i had to reinstall my PC. it and the issue keep coming back. Chrome/Thunderbird/Spotfiy all doesnt work.. Using Kaspersky free and malwarebytes premium. in the meantime i have disable malwabrebytes on startup till issue is resolve.

Edited by Rainbow1112

@Maurice Naggar: did what you suggested but the computer froze again on google chrome, Mozilla Thunderbird, CCleaner and was unable to run regedit. All exclusions are still present in KIS and mbam.

Returning to normal : I had to change in CP : services : mbamservice from Automatic(Delayed) to Manual to be able delete the key in the registry to have the computer working normally again.

Just to be clear, based on what we have learned so far this issue appears to be caused by a recent change in the latest version of Kaspersky.  This means that it is very likely that Malwarebytes' Developers will not be able to fix this issue as it is on Kaspersky's end, so Kaspersky Labs will probably need to fix it in a Kaspersky update, however they probably are not very motivated to do so as they generally do not want their users running any other security software except their own.  With that said, if there is a way for Malwarebytes' Developers to address this issue, I'm sure they will do so, however there is no way to know how long it may take to address (again, assuming it is even possible).

Thank you to those of you who have provided data to help troubleshoot this issue, hopefully this issue will be addressed soon, but until then it appears that the only option is to disable Ransomware Protection in Malwarebytes if you wish to run the two products together in real-time.

13 hours ago, BlackHawk said:

…. I am having the same issue as you where I start Firefox or Chrome and they never appear or they sit there in a "loading state." I may try and locate the previous version of Kaspersky and go back to using it. I would greatly appreciate it if you could post the "trust exclusions" you speak of for BOTH Kaspersky and MBAM. Thank you!

@BlackHawk

When you encounter the browser not launching situation like you described, do a Windows Restart.  Then see if that helps.

I will plan to make a separate topic about the trust exclusions.

6 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

@BlackHawk

When you encounter the browser not launching situation like you described, do a Windows Restart.  Then see if that helps.

I will plan to make a separate topic about the trust exclusions.

I did a restart and sometimes the browsers start working normally and sometimes they don't. I disabled ransomware protection in MBAM as suggested above and that has worked for the time being. Can you please send me a link to your new topic when you get around to posting it? Thank you!

11 hours ago, BlackHawk said:

I did a restart and sometimes the browsers start working normally and sometimes they don't. I disabled ransomware protection in MBAM as suggested above and that has worked for the time being. Can you please send me a link to your new topic when you get around to posting it? Thank you!

After disabling Ransomware protection, Log out (and ensure that any other users from that PC are logged out as well (not locked -they must be fully logged out). Then, from the login page, do a Restart (Not a separate Shutdown followed by a power on). 

This will ensure that resources locked by the deadlocked processes are released, and that Windows is reloaded cleanly. 

Hi everyone,

We're aware of an issue between the latest patch update to Kaspersky products (patch e) and Ransomware Protection in Malwarebytes, causing certain applications to hang when both are running together. We're currently investigating this issue in an effort to determine if there is something we can on our side to address the issue. Thank you for your understanding.

For affected users, there are 3 workarounds available that are known to mitigate the issue:

• Method 1: Uninstall the Kaspersky product.
  • Method 2: Exclude affected applications within Malwarebytes.
  • Method 3: Disable Ransomware Protection in Malwarebytes.
Edited by LiquidTension

Hi Adam.

Thank you for the information above.   Especially about excluding the application within Malwarebytes.

I just excluded Palemoon.exe  +  Firefox.exe   and now no longer experience a solid hang of those executables  ( was happening immediately after app start).

Those 2 browsers were the ones at issue.

FYI,  I do have MB 4.0.4   with all protections ON.

Kaspersky Total Security 2020   ( on trial  /  testing)

I've had this issue as well, unfortunately by the time I had found this thread I'd restored a previous system image whilst offline as i was trying to work out which update had caused it starting last Wednesday evening for me but I have experienced the problem with Firefox, Thunderbird, Inkscape and Microsoft teams if you try and make a call it wont connecrt. Plus uninstalling Kaspersky Secure Connection also hangs. I have since given up on the specific exclusions and just disabled the ransomware module as the types of failure aren't always predictable. 

Is there any news on a potential permanent fix?

Thanks,

---

Win 10 Pro 1903, MBAM premium 3.8.3, KIS 20.0.14.1085(e)

Hi,

Kaspersky will not fix their product.  they are quite clear.  they say ....... "we don't support Kaspersky with Malwarebytes - you must disable the realtime protection of malwarebytes or remove Malwarebytes". They have (via their forums) indicated that they will not be "fixing" anything as nothing is broken in their eyes.

So here we are again....   Faced with three choices in reality

1.  Revert to the "Free" Malwarebytes as recommended by Kaspersky - keep Kaspersky (a.k.a. Ditch Malwarebytes)

2.  Disable Ransomware in MBAM and wait until the next thing breaks between the two and then disable that also and so on and so on

3.  Ditch Kaspersky and find an Antivirus that plays nice with Malwarebytes.  

Most people with Kaspersky "Free" or "Paid" are with them because it is a very good antivirus, independently evaluated and ranked alongside other Antivirus products (so an informed choice based on peer review), it is very light on resources (unlike Bitdefender and Avast and AVG) does not bomabard you with adverts too much (unlike Avast) so these users are going to be very reluctant to ditch Kaspersky and these users will simply not use Malwarebytes on its own (or with only Windows Defender).

The only proper solution here is for Malwarebytes to modify its product to make it work with Kaspersky as all the other solutions are either never going to happen or are not at all desirable. 

If it comes to a no choice scenario then I will have to reluctantly uninstall Malwarebytes Pro.  I don't want to but I am kind of being forced to if Malwarebytes are unable to adjust the product to work with all the major AV vendors as they always promised to do.

Paul