Windows 10 upgrade - what do I do about Malwarebytes?

13 minutes ago, exile360 said:

With Windows 7 you can use Microsoft Security Essentials instead of Windows Defender.  It uses the same threat detection engine/signatures as Windows Defender in Windows 8 and Windows 10, though it lacks some of the additional features Microsoft has added recently to Defender in 10.

Years ago, MS abandoned parts of WSE. We used to use Windows Live Mail. Surprised that the virus protection part still works. In any event, support for it supposedly end for individual users in a few weeks. For corporate users with paid licenses, still up in the air, it seems. https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/18614/windows-essentials. And then there are reports that MS might not end MSE updates?? But regardless, life is near end. https://www.techradar.com/news/microsoft-is-killing-off-windows-7-but-microsoft-security-essentials-lives-on

I look after a neighbors computer - he is 93. We decided to leave him on Win7 with MWB Premium as only protection.  He has outlived his Windows 7 box!

• Staff

Yes, MSE will continue to receive updates after Windows 7 support ends.  It makes sense since the base AV/AM engine in MSE is identical to that of Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10 so there is no added overhead to continue providing updates for it for Microsoft.  I will also be sticking with Windows 7 well past their end of support date and won't be migrating to Windows 10.