jdod

Lots of Tracking Cookies

I have 2 computers in my home office.  I run Malwarebytes premium on both of them.  I run competitor scans for spyware and other stuff on both of them.  Using a competitor scanner software, on one machine, I usually always find quite a lot of tracking cookies.  On the other I don't find any.  This makes me believe that there is something on the offending PC that is facilitating getting these tracking cookies.

This is some of what  I find:

image.png.76d4638a872938eb38a6fd3324a0f22b.png

Could there be something on this machine that needs to be removed?

Thank you for your help.

Jeff

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

Check the Cookies setting for all browsers on both computer.
Make sure they are set as you intend it to be.

https://www.howtogeek.com/241006/how-to-block-third-party-cookies-in-every-web-browser/

===

Let me know if your problem is solved.

Thank you, Nasdaq. I have followed the advice for Chrome and Edge, the only 2 browsers I use.

It might be noteworthy to point out that the machine that never has tracking cookies found in the scan also needed the correction to Edge and Chrome. Both PCs were set up exactly the same in this respect.

I will let this PC run a few days and report back on progress.

Jeff

So far, no more tracking cookies.  That was not unusual to find, then another day there would be 50 or more, I will continue to monitor.

Thank you.

The scan did find one tracking cookie. We are no longer a Verizon customer, maybe this has been there a while.

image.png.3b9b8bb31b9437ed24de6afb023e275b.png

The scan did find one tracking cookie. We are no longer a Verizon customer, maybe this has been there a while.

image.png.3b9b8bb31b9437ed24de6afb023e275b.png

I don't even know how I posted that double post days apart. it can be deleted.

I have not found anything in scans since Tuesday morning, I think all is well, thank you.

Jeff

The scan did finally find 2 more items, I did click a link to track a package during the day yesterday before I ran the scan at night.  Perhaps this is quite innocent and expected?

image.png.5819d50a66ac21d99cbb79c425dcc864.png

I will be back in the office in 4 days to respond. 

Running scan, will report latest results and answer, thx.

Both of these websites I visited before I left to go on vacation.  Probably necessary to provide the services I used at each.  Not nefarious, for sure.  

image.png.75ad4c04474707941b4d960a0f35bd83.png

@nasdaq Should hopefully be on later today to assist you further. However, cookies in and of themselves are not malicious but yes they can be used to track for marketing, etc.

Hi nasdaq,

For sure since I took the measures above I never get the 70 to 80 hits in the scan, though I am a bit curious why the other PC never gets a hit and this one does.

I just ran the scan again and got zero hits, so I am willing to say all is well.

Thank you for your help!

Jeff

Okay, sounds good. I'll go ahead then and close your topic now. I will also give you some advice to help protect your system and data going forward @jdod

If you're not backing up your data and you're still using Google Chrome then you're just not serious about Privacy, Safety, and protecting your data. Malwarebytes is a fantastic program but you still need to back up your data and you still need to block scripts and Ads in your browser. 
If you're still using Google Chrome I would highly suggest you consider using Firefox instead. For more advanced users you might consider installing NoScript as well (it does have a higher learning curve though)

Help Secure your browsers

You may be interested in using our new Malwarebytes Browser Guard to help protect your browser from items that uBlock or others don't target.

Please install uBlock Origin for your browsers to better protect your system.

FireFox, ChromeOpera , SafariMicrosoft Edge
AdBlock Plus for Internet Explorer

How to use uBlock Origin to protect your online privacy and security | uBlock Origin tutorial 2018
This video tutorial above explains how to use uBlock Origin in advanced user mode and all the advanced settings to protect your online privacy and help prevent unwanted sites from changing your browser settings

Delete Cookies Automatically

Cookie AutoDelete plugin
Chrome  | Firefox 

Browser push notifications: a feature asking to be abused
HTTPS Everywhere
NOTHING TO HIDE documentary

Review your email and Office choices

Quit Gmail for free encrypted email - Tutanota
Why ProtonMail Is More Secure Than Gmail
LibreOffice - Free and open source office suite

Use Password Management software

Bitwarden
KeePass Password Safe

Make sure you use a strong master password
Then set the key transformation settings (the link below helps provide information on how to choose good settings)
https://pthree.org/2016/06/29/further-investigation-into-scrypt-and-argon2-password-hashing
KeePass Password Manager: Full Detailed Setup (good YouTube video on setup and using Keepass but choose the Argon2 method for Key transformation)

Encrypted Instant Messenger and Voice Calls

Riot
Signal
Wire
Wickr Me

Follow-up Reading

Everything you need to know about cybercrime
10 easy ways to prevent malware infection 
Keep your data backed up

Thank you for choosing Malwarebytes as your preferred security protection software and tell your friends and family too. We're here to help.

Ron