Suitiepie

Include the FREE adwcleaner_7.4.1 within the PAID Malwarebytes 4x...

Good evening.

I have paid for Malwarebytes for many years and no doubt it is one of the best programs out there and I am currently testing the new beta 4.x.

I stumbled across adwcleaner_7.4.1 which is free, and am quite disappointed that this picked up things which the Malwarebyte program I am paying a subscription for did not.  Why not include this program which is FREE in with the Malware Bytes program that we PAY for?  It makes no sense to me and in fact, truth be told, infuriated me that this free program picked up things which my paid program did not.

The free adwcleaner_7.4.1 program also links and allows you to open the paid program.  Why not the other way? Why doesn't the program we pay for say, hey you there, we have another program which is free that can detect things our paid program doesn't, would you like us to run this free test for you?

Sorry, I'm rambling... but seriously, why doesn't it?

Suggestion would obviously be including this 'free adwcleaner_7.4.1' component with the paid malware bytes program. Include an option to run the test that 'adwcleaner_7.4.1' runs within the paid program.

Cheers.

Greetings,

It has been a while since I've heard anything officially about it, but the last I did hear Malwarebytes intended to eventually integrate ADWCleaner's detection capabilities fully into Malwarebytes proper, however this obviously has not happened yet.  It is possible, particularly since ADWCleaner has now expanded what it detects to include preinstalled OEM applications, that they might want to keep the two applications separate to avoid any confusion as to whether the items detected by ADWCleaner (like preinstalled OEM software) are 'malicious' in nature.  Keeping the two tools separate liberates a free tool like ADWCleaner from a lot of the restrictions and limitations placed upon anti-malware applications, particularly when it comes to detecting items that may be on the fringe of what they could get away with classifying/targeting as PUP (Potentially Unwanted Programs); one of the categories of items that both ADWCleaner and Malwarebytes detect (though they use separate signatures/databases and generally target different items from one another).  That last part it just speculation on my part so if anyone from the Malwarebytes staff has anything to say about it, go with what they state, I'm just offering my opinion as to one possibility.

With that said, I see no reason that they could not have an option to offer/download ADWCleaner somewhere in the Malwarebytes UI and at one point in the past they did have links to the various Malwarebytes freeware utilities under a specific 'Tools' tab within the main Malwarebytes application so perhaps they might resurrect this concept at some point.  I will submit your feedback to the Product team for consideration.

Please let us know if you have any further feedback or if there is anything else we might assist you with.

Thanks

Thank you for the feedback and thank you for passing the suggestion on. :)

I disagree. they should not incorporate garbage collection into Malwarebytes.

So you don't want a program that collects garbage on  your computer incorporated into a program that collects garbage. Fair enough, Ken.

Hello @Suitiepie

We are looking into a potential of integrating AdwCleaner into Malwarebytes product in the future. The timeline is still not decided.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Malwarebytes DOES NOT COLLECT GARBAGE. It has a specific purpose in what it does.  There is/was a program that detects garbage programs in new computers. I tried it once on a new laptop and it deleted a builtin program that ran the Fn keys. There was no information on what it's name was or what it did, ANYWHERE. Their forum knew nothing about it. Had to reinstall things that were removed one at a time. programs like that are not the best and AdwCleaner I would suspect may have those problems. Windows can be a real trap for everyone. Many programs were purchased and integrated into good programs and screwed them up. Don't screw up MBAM by doing something that it doesn't need.

Thank you for the feedback @KenW

We still don't have anything set in stone and are still exploring the permutations and combinations.

17 hours ago, KenW said:

Malwarebytes DOES NOT COLLECT GARBAGE. It has a specific purpose in what it does.  There is/was a program that detects garbage programs in new computers. I tried it once on a new laptop and it deleted a builtin program that ran the Fn keys. There was no information on what it's name was or what it did, ANYWHERE. Their forum knew nothing about it. Had to reinstall things that were removed one at a time. programs like that are not the best and AdwCleaner I would suspect may have those problems. Windows can be a real trap for everyone. Many programs were purchased and integrated into good programs and screwed them up. Don't screw up MBAM by doing something that it doesn't need.

Even a button to open it if you have it installed would be nice.

An option. For those who do want to clean garbage.

For those who don't want to put the bins out, and don't have it installed, the button and or option could vanish.

win:win

I think bringing back the old concept of the 'Tools' tab or 'More Tools' tab might be a way to go.  Basically provide a dynamic tab (that way it can change whenever new tools are released and old tools are retired) that provides buttons to download and run the various Malwarebytes tools like ADWCleaner and Malwarebytes Browser Guard etc. along with a brief description of what each tool is and does.