Question about activating browser guard

tomdkat

In the past, I've seen discussion here about requiring and email address to activate the browser guard.   I'm not asking *why* an email address can be required, since that's a different topic.  :)

I've noticed browser guard will sometimes require an email address to be activated and sometimes it won't.    In some cases, browser guard will require an email address to be entered on a machine that's already running the Premium version of Malwarebytes.

My question:  why is an email address required to activate browser guard, inconsistently?

Thanks in advance!

Hello @tomdkat:

Within the user's PC, no awareness of the other exists between Malwarebytes for Windows and Malwarebytes Browser Guard.

The only time the email address is requested by Malwarebytes Browser Guard, is during new installs.

HTH

Thanks for the reply.  What's weird is I've installed the browser guard in Firefox and Chrome, on the same machine, and browser guard will require the email address in one browser and not the other.  Or, I'll install browser guard on two different machines, in the same browser (say Firefox on each machine), and it will require the email address in one and not the other.

No big deal, I was  just wondering why it's inconsistent.

Thanks again!  :)

Perhaps it has changed, but in all the original discussions, e-mail addresses were requested but not actually required. Also, the reason requested was to build a list of users in order to notify them of such things as issues, updates and new offerings. They also mentioned that in no case would they be shared with any 3rd party.

That is correct, you can find additional info direct from Malwarebytes at the bottom of this post:

Why do we need email ID? 
We are beginning to collect email addresses to improve Malwarebytes specific product communications with our customers.  We will not, under any circumstances, share your email address with other individuals or organizations.
Important: During new installations users may be asked in the product UI to provide their email address in order to activate the product.  This can be any email (not limited to Gmail). Not everyone will see this email screen as it is being still tested with two different user groups.

• 1 month later...

Initially unrelated to this topic, I ran numerous tests, results from which suggested – consistently – that versions 2.1.0, 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 lacked a degree of protection that's present in versions 2.0.7 and 2.1.3.

Then, for a while, I wondered whether the tests were simply rushed – considering the recent performance improvements (Malwarebytes Browser Guard 2.1.3 Release Notes). Eventually I returned to this topic.

It seems that internal page app/eventpages/activate.html did not always appear when required. Here, for example:

image.thumb.png.ed8d8433a035e62548cb79fb3ba521b6.png

– the icon is blue, from which it's reasonable to assume that the extension is active when truly, it's inactive. (The site pictured above should be blocked.)

It's possible that my earlier test results were skewed by manually installing one version over another (e.g. 2.0.7 followed by 2.1.0 – not removing one before installing another).

Most recent test results

2.1.2, post-installation, grey icon, inactive:

1188561458_2019-11-24092702.thumb.png.4beca8122071e0df296e672cc09e272e.png

2.1.3, post-installation, blue icon, active:

36679465_2019-11-24092758.thumb.png.4aaec3cc00cd8ec91af1818fca1c2f98.png

It seems that the requirement to enter an e-mail address has been abandoned.

Please, can someone confirm?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, grahamperrin said:
  • he demonstrated icon is blue
  • the actual icon is grey.

It is blue on pages it can access. Just like Ublock is grey instead of red on that page you posted.

31 minutes ago, grahamperrin said:

The minor UX issue is circling an icon that's blue when truly, the icon is grey.

But do you notice the ublock shield is also GREY in first screenshot? Maby some rewording is in order on that screen.

grey shield.png

Edited by Porthos
12 minutes ago, Porthos said:

rewording

The words are OK (apart from the cropped letter d, which I probably mentioned in an earlier post).

Visually: it's misleading to circle a blue icon when truly, the pre-activation icon is grey.

4 minutes ago, grahamperrin said:

Visually: it's misleading to circle a blue icon when truly, the pre-activation icon is grey.

Might state after activation it is blue when active.

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Might state after activation it is blue when active.

Maybe, but I like the terse wording of the 1–2–3 as is, it's close to perfect:

image.thumb.png.b6ed46fcb212d1cb981de18b21417805.png

Essentially: done!

Simple as that, and end users either will or will not observe the change from grey (pre-activation) to blue (active).

For users who are not observant: adding a written sentence, at onboard time, is unlikely to gain attention.

1 minute ago, grahamperrin said:

For users who are not observant: adding a written sentence, at onboard time, is unlikely to gain attention.

Yup, many do not read.