Microphone(s) don't get picked up - Win10

Ocfos

After a Windows update at some point before September, I had the issue that if it updated, my Microphone would stop functioning. However, if I didn't update, Apps wouldn't function. I much preferred having a microphone, as I use it quite often to play games and such.

The issue is; I can't revert the windows update that *caused* the problem, as Windows 10 for some reason decided "You can't reverse updates before September now" on a whim, and I can't prevent updates either, so it just forced me to accept I now have a microphone that works just fine, but Windows just refuses to register any incoming noise from it.

I've got zero idea why it doesn't pick up anything, as it's been an issue with two different headsets now, and the microphones work just fine on their own. I know this for sure, as the headsets both have "Sidetone" that plays my voice back into the headset to prevent speaking loudly, and that absolutely works just fine on both headsets I've used. The only issue there really is, appears to me to be Windows being stubborn about it, with no real idea why it would be.

I hope someone is able to help me out, because I've tried reinstalling Logitech G HUB, completely removing registry for Logitech Gaming Software from the previous headset, and trying to plug it out and back in in several different ways, all to no use.

image.png.4c68cb47ba12b00c88d77ce1c17e9c2b.png

Greetings,

It might help to install the latest audio drivers for your onboard sound (most likely Realtek, but it could be something else depending on the hardware in your system).  Even though your mic is a separate piece of hardware, an issue with the primary sound drivers could result in issues with other sound devices such as your microphone and there are known past issues with some updates to Windows 10 this year with some common onboard sound solutions.

I attempted to install "0009-64bit_Win7_Win8_Win81_Win10_R282" from Realtek's website, but it doesn't appear to have made any difference.

I did however discover something very weird; My microphone gets picked up by Windows, if I tell Windows to "Listen to this device", which allows me to hear myself at a slight delay.

Sadly, as soon as I toggle that off, Windows refuse to acknowledge any incoming noise from the Microphone. It's definitely an issue with Windows itself, and not the hardware.

In case anything was misunderstood about the settings, it shouldn't be in here the issue rests. This is how the sound window looks, and that audio bar doesn't register anything coming in.
The "Ingående Linje" is my TV audio jack, and is irrelevant. Just in case you wondered what it was.

image.png.2d3eb2499b243452effd2dd9e457fe68.png

I tried. Sadly, nothing happens. My headset is a wireless USB headset, but it never gave me any issues before that windows update. Undoing the update back then fixed my issue, too, so I know for sure it's not something to do with the headset itself, thankfully.

But, changing any of the things to Enabled, doesn't do anything to fix it. :(

Yes, it definitely sounds like it was the update that caused the issue, I was just hoping that changing drivers or modifying settings might correct the problem.  There was an update for Windows 10 a while back that caused issues for many users with Realtek onboard sound devices that was later fixed, and I'm thinking that this issue likely has a similar cause.  If you haven't already, you might also check the options under the Communications tab, and while I know you said it's irrelevant, you do have a second input device enabled there for your TV, so if Windows is configured to mute other sounds when the listening device is in use and there is constant 'noise' coming in from the TV device, then that could theoretically cause Windows to mute all audio from your headset's microphone.

Also, I don't know if you did any Googling already for similar issues, but I did come across this thread which describes a similar problem and a couple of possible fixes as well as this guide that shows some possible alternative solutions.  The first one I'd try is disabling all enhancements for that device under the Properties dialog for it (you should see it if you double-click on the entry for your microphone in the Recording tab or if you click on the microphone to highlight it and then click the Properties button on the lower right).  You could also try changing the setting for Default Format under the Advanced tab in the properties dialog for the microphone as the current audio format may be incompatible with your device causing Windows not to register any sound.  Also of course check the settings under the Levels tab because if it is set too low Windows won't 'hear' anything from the mic, and if it's muted then obviously it won't pick up any sound at all.  You can also try playing with the boost level to see if that helps at all.

Well that is unfortunate :(

I was hoping one of those fixes might do the trick.  At this point it might be best to either contact Microsoft for help directly or your system manufacturer, and perhaps even Logitech (though from the sound of things, it likely isn't specific to Logitech devices and is more likely to be something with Windows itself).  You can contact Microsoft directly here or you can post on their community forums here.

Otherwise perhaps someone else around here will be able to provide some ideas, but either way please keep us posted on how it goes if it's not too much trouble.