Kaspersky Antivirus 2020 alert

Hello James246.

Lets see if we can get around the blocked issue this way.  First, turn OFF the Kaspersky program.   By that I mean to temporarily disable it.

double-click on Kaspersky icon in the notification area of the taskbar   & disable it.   For as long a period of time as possible.

Next, proceed with the Install of Malwarebytes for Windows.   Then let me know when that is completed.

Just to add, specifically with regards to any changes in compatibility and the existing known issues with Kaspersky 2020 since its release, no, there have been no changes or updates that I am aware of so the same methods of dealing with Kaspersky's incompatible software list entry for Malwarebytes still apply.  It has been reported and submitted to the Product team and I assume that QA has already launched testing to validate that there are no actual conflicts between the two products to submit to Kaspersky, however I do not know what the status on that testing and validation is at this point.

One other thing....sorry it seems we should have had much more detail from you at the very start.

Does your pc already have installed the Malwarebytes for Windows ?     yes or no.

If yes, AND if you are now attempting to install Kaspersky as a new install, then go very slowly during its setup.

When you get to this screen on Kaspersky setup

image.png.7ec332b6e6fc49c727bec655a38a5f84.png

Use your mouse pointer, and Click that check-box   ( highlighted in red)  so that it is cleared

and then click on the button marked Continue.

and on next screen

image.png.58c1a8a60eac469b7bfd5fb4af7b6e59.png

Click that Continue button.

Edited by Maurice Naggar
added secondary screen prompt

3 hours ago, James246 said:

I do not have these products (KAV Free & MBP) up and running together, I am simply interested in knowing if is OK to do so if the appropriate exclusions are made on both sides. Are there any major or even partial minor conflicts. 

Has the software conflict with the web protection modules in KIS and Malwarebytes Premium described in Kaspersky Internet Security and MBAM Web Protection Problem... Part Two been fully resolved?  The OP alhazred posted diagnostic logs in that thread on 17-Sep-2019 but no one has replied since then.  I assume this conflict only applies to Malwarebytes Premium since Malwarebytes Free does not include Web Protection or other real-time protection modules.

It also looks like Kaspersky Antivirus Free has been replaced by a newer product called Kaspersky Security Cloud Free (see Kaspersky's 07-Oct-2019 blog What Happened to Kaspersky Free Antivirus?) and the 14-Aug-2019 PC Magazine review Kaspersky Security Cloud Free seems to suggest that the free version of this newer product includes built-in VPN and web protection.

Edited by lmacri

• Root Admin

There is nothing we can do except to request Kaspersky remove the alert. There is a workaround posted that should easily allow you to install Kaspersky even with Malwarebytes installed. Until Kaspersky themselves decides to remove this alert it will remain.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2019 at 5:49 AM, James246 said:

I do not have these products (KAV Free & MBP) up and running together, I am simply interested in knowing if is OK to do so if the appropriate exclusions are made on both sides. Are there any major or even partial minor conflicts. 

On 10/19/2019 at 9:29 AM, lmacri said:

...It also looks like Kaspersky Antivirus Free has been replaced by a newer product called Kaspersky Security Cloud Free (see Kaspersky's 07-Oct-2019 blog What Happened to Kaspersky Free Antivirus?) and the 14-Aug-2019 PC Magazine review Kaspersky Security Cloud Free seems to suggest that the free version of this newer product includes built-in VPN and web protection.

Hi James246:

Just an FYI that a few Malwarebytes Premium users who have been testing the new Kaspersky Security Cloud Free have reported that there is a conflict that will cause certain programs like Chrome, Thunderbird,  Spotify and Firefox to hang or fail to launch correctly unless the Ransomware Protection module in Malwarebytes Premium is disabled.

See Malwarebytes Premium user comments about this conflict starting on page 3 of the 13-Oct-2019 Wilders Security Forum thread Kaspersky Security Cloud Free as well as Krusty13's 04-Nov-2019 feedback in the Norton Tech Outpost thread Kaspersky Security Cloud Free Replaces Kaspersky Antivirus Free.

3 hours ago, lmacri said:

Many thanks for your response

Hi James246:

Just an FYI that a few Malwarebytes Premium users who have been testing the new Kaspersky Security Cloud Free have reported that there is a conflict that will cause certain programs like Chrome, Thunderbird,  Spotify and Firefox to hang or fail to launch correctly unless the Ransomware Protection module in Malwarebytes Premium is disabled.

See Malwarebytes Premium user comments about this conflict starting on page 3 of the 13-Oct-2019 Wilders Security Forum thread Kaspersky Security Cloud Free as well as Krusty13's 04-Nov-2019 feedback in the Norton Tech Outpost thread Kaspersky Security Cloud Free Replaces Kaspersky Antivirus Free.

Remarks.  I'm testing Kaspersky Total Security 2020 along with Malwarebytes for Windows 4.0.4   ( there was new Version update on Monday morning November 4).

I have not had issues with Edge or Chrome browsers.   Now I have all 4 Malwarebytes protections on.  I am able to start and use Firefox browser.

IMHO, the issue where some program fails to launch its GUI can be attributed to Kaspersky.

when something does not appear, use Task Manager to take a look.  You will find it is there.  But you cannot End the task.

imho, I suspect the Kaspersky System Watcher has its hooks into all.

p.s.  I wrote this while in Firefox  and all protections of Malwarebytes on.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Hi everyone,

We're aware of an issue between the latest patch update to Kaspersky products (patch e) and Ransomware Protection in Malwarebytes, causing certain applications to hang when both are running together. We're currently investigating this issue in an effort to determine if there is something we can on our side to address the issue. Thank you for your understanding.

For affected users, there are 3 workarounds available that are known to mitigate the issue:

• Method 1: Uninstall the Kaspersky product.
  • Method 2: Exclude affected applications within Malwarebytes.
  • Method 3: Disable Ransomware Protection in Malwarebytes.
Edited by LiquidTension

A quick note for anyone using the "disable ransomware" workaround, MBAM 4 has a useful feature under Settings > Notifications where you can disable the option "Alert me if any Real-Time Protection modules are turned off". This will stop MBAM from regularly reminding you that you have the ransomware option turned off.
This option may have been in MBAM 3 also, but I don't remember seeing it.

One of our members, Alhazred ,  confirms that uninstalling KIS V.20.0.14.1085(e) & installing Kaspersky V.19.0.0.1088(i) clears up issues.
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/253174-kaspersky-total-security-2020-hangs-with-mbam/?do=findComment&comment=1343862

See also, the last comments there by LiquidTension.

• 2 months later...
On 11/6/2019 at 7:01 PM, LiquidTension said:

Hi everyone,

We're aware of an issue between the latest patch update to Kaspersky products (patch e) and Ransomware Protection in Malwarebytes, causing certain applications to hang when both are running together. We're currently investigating this issue in an effort to determine if there is something we can on our side to address the issue. Thank you for your understanding.

For affected users, there are 3 workarounds available that are known to mitigate the issue:

• Method 1: Uninstall the Kaspersky product.
  • Method 2: Exclude affected applications within Malwarebytes.
  • Method 3: Disable Ransomware Protection in Malwarebytes.

Thank you very much for clarifying the problem and the solution. This very annoying problem is bothering me a lot since more than two months and because of it I have reinstalled windows operating system twice.

Now SOLVED by Method 2 or Method 3 you mentioned.

Thank you very much. and hope you to make a permanent solution in the next version of MBAM.

Hi Wail   &  :welcome:

First, know that this thread was last communicated last November.  That the customer mentioned is actually running on the Version 19 of Kaspersky.

The section you cited does outline work-arounds.

For the future, you want to keep on eye out on the Malwarebytes 4 BETA sub-forum   https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/251-malwarebytes-4x-beta/

The current Beta does not have a "cure" for the Kaspersky conflicts.   Though it does provide benefits like faster scans.

Keep your eyes out for a potential future release that might contain specific mention on Kaspersky.. That's why I mention to watch the Beta 4 sub-forum.

As to myself,   having seen Kaspersky Internet Security version 20 causing  normal functions of Windows fail, like the Start menu and the ability to get to Windows Update,  I have wholly uninstalled the test of Kaspersky Internet Security version 20.   I have totally removed it from my system.

I cannot any longer recommend running the Kaspersky version 20  along with the Premium Malwarebytes for Windows.

Note that customers who have uninstalled vers 20  and installed the appropriate version 19  are doing ok.

On 10/19/2019 at 3:29 PM, lmacri said:

Has the software conflict with the web protection modules in KIS and Malwarebytes Premium described in Kaspersky Internet Security and MBAM Web Protection Problem... Part Two been fully resolved?  The OP alhazred posted diagnostic logs in that thread on 17-Sep-2019 but no one has replied since then.  I assume this conflict only applies to Malwarebytes Premium since Malwarebytes Free does not include Web Protection or other real-time protection modules.

It also looks like Kaspersky Antivirus Free has been replaced by a newer product called Kaspersky Security Cloud Free (see Kaspersky's 07-Oct-2019 blog What Happened to Kaspersky Free Antivirus?) and the 14-Aug-2019 PC Magazine review Kaspersky Security Cloud Free seems to suggest that the free version of this newer product includes built-in VPN and web protection.

@lmacri  Just saw this post, sorry.

As the OP of the first thread I can confirm that since updating to Malwarebytes 4.0.4 the web protection component now seems to be functioning correctly if you have Kaspersky installed.  I visited Malwarebytes Threat Centre and tried out the previous domains that were not being blocked and they now are.

Just to clarify to people who have haven't read my thread.  This was in relation to Kaspersky Internet Security 19 interfering with Malwarebytes 3 Web component and domains not being blocked, this is not connected to the current conflict between KIS 20 and MBAM Ransomware component.

@Maurice Naggar  I've only just saw your reply to my thread, usually I'm notified when there is a reply to a thread but wasn't in this case and hence would have replied to you, my apologies. 

As my above post hopefully clarified, the domains I mentioned in that thread are now successfully blocked by the web module after I updated from MBAM 3 to MBAM 4.0.4.

Hi all,

We have investigated this issue and believe we have a fix that addresses the root cause. The fix is now available in the latest version of the standalone Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta. 

We plan to make this available for Malwarebytes version 4 in an upcoming release. An announcement will be made on the forum once an update for this issue is released. 

Thank you for your continued feedback and understanding.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

This should be of interest to all who have both Kaspersky 2020  and Malwarebytes 4 Premium

There is a new Malwarebytes Beta 4.1.0.56 version 1.0.853 component package update that addresses a few issues.  Those include

Certain Ransomware protection incompatibilities with Kaspersky, iTunes and Photoshop

See the announcement here https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/257042-malwarebytes-41-beta/?do=findComment&comment=1367093

If your Malwarebytes 4 program is already enabled to Beta option, a number of you will be prompted to get the update.

If your pc does not have 1.0.853 component package update, and are in the Beta, you can just go to the General tab and do a "Check for updates"

If you need to turn on the Beta option, go to Settings >> General tab, scroll down to Beta Updates and enable it.

If you elect to not get the beta, monitor the top pinned notes for future announcement of release

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/41-malwarebytes-for-windows-support-forum/

You can easily check the details of your MB4 installation by going to Settings >  About tab

NOTE:  IF you currently have the standalone Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta, you will want to uninstall that first & do a Windows Restart & then get the BETA  MB4.

On 1/29/2020 at 11:04 AM, alhazred said:

@lmacri  Just saw this post, sorry.

As the OP of the first thread I can confirm that since updating to Malwarebytes 4.0.4 the web protection component now seems to be functioning correctly if you have Kaspersky installed.  I visited Malwarebytes Threat Centre and tried out the previous domains that were not being blocked and they now are.

Just to clarify to people who have haven't read my thread.  This was in relation to Kaspersky Internet Security 19 interfering with Malwarebytes 3 Web component and domains not being blocked, this is not connected to the current conflict between KIS 20 and MBAM Ransomware component.

Yes leaving ransomware on in Malwarebytes will break windows after restarting. I was in a situation that windows wouldn't boot or recognise the drives somehow I was able to get into windows after many attempts  and restore to a earlier point and unchecked the option in Malwarebytes which instantly fixed it.

The problem is Malwarebytes keeps asking to turn the option back on and I one night when I was tired I pressed okay instead of closing the window which turned on Ransomware and on next boot I had the issue. 

Malwarebytes should give us the option to turn this off or the software should do it until the issue is fixed, this really breaks the PC and is hard to get back into windows once the issue starts.

I have to be careful not to accidentally turn it back on as it asks me to turn on all protection very day!

• Root Admin

Please follow the directions from @Maurice Naggar above in post #22 - IF that does not work or you're have issues getting the beta installed then please try the following.

Step 1:  Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool but do not allow the program to reinstall after the reboot. Decline the install

Step 2: Download the Malwarebytes 4 Offline Installer and save to your computer

Step 3: Install Malwarebytes 4 using the downloaded offline installer and reboot the computer.

Step 4: Enable Beta updates from within the image.png Settings, General section of the program

image.png

Step 5: Check for updates and it should install the Beta - then reboot again