Searching for Antivirus suggestions

Hello Everyone, I am a Bitdefender user for last 1 year and it's working fine but I am wondering if I should switch to Bitdefender or not? I am not seeing much performance issues so far... recent reviews that I am following regarding Malwarebytes are quite good and I think I might consider it. The reason that I am thinking to do is that I have been reading here and there that the quick scan option of Malwarebytes are very good and that it takes hardly 3 to 4 minutes in scanning. Though the performance test scores on different independent lab tests of Malwarebytes are a bit less than Bitdefender. I am not so sure. What do you guys recommend?

Sorry correction*

Hello Everyone, I am a Bitdefender user for last 1 year and it's working fine but I am wondering if I should switch to *Malwarebytes or not? I am not seeing much performance issues so far... recent reviews that I am following regarding Malwarebytes are quite good and I think I might consider it. The reason that I am thinking to do is that I have been reading here and there that the quick scan option of Malwarebytes are very good and that it takes hardly 3 to 4 minutes in scanning. Though the performance test scores on different independent lab tests of Malwarebytes are a bit less than Bitdefender. I am not so sure. What do you guys recommend?

7 minutes ago, Pan12 said:

Sorry correction*

Hello Everyone, I am a Bitdefender user for last 1 year and it's working fine but I am wondering if I should switch to *Malwarebytes or not? I am not seeing much performance issues so far... recent reviews that I am following regarding Malwarebytes are quite good and I think I might consider it. The reason that I am thinking to do is that I have been reading here and there that the quick scan option of Malwarebytes are very good and that it takes hardly 3 to 4 minutes in scanning. Though the performance test scores on different independent lab tests of Malwarebytes are a bit less than Bitdefender. I am not so sure. What do you guys recommend?

Are we discussing a Mac?

One note of caution. The "independent study" you reference involved only the Windows versions of those Anti-Malware products.

There are issues with the way such products are run that are not conducive to giving products such as Malwarebytes a fair test. All malware samples used must be either normally installed or downloaded to a common area. Testers tend to just grab a bunch of Samples, throw them in a folder and turn the software loose on the folder. Malwarebytes will completely fail such tests because that's not how it works.

My advise would be to simply try it out. You shouldn't have any issues with it being installed along side of Bitdefender, just make sure you shut of any Real-Time / On-Access scanning by Bitdefender during the trial period so as not to interfere with Malwarebytes Real-Time protection. They tend to fight over who gets to scan first which will adversely affect your computing experience.

18 hours ago, Pan12 said:

Thank you so much for your quick response @alvarnell 

I will just simply uninstall Bitdefender when I will switch to Malwarebytes. I hope to get good performance results! 

Keep in mind the MB is not scanning your internet browsing as Bitdefender does.  There is an add-on extension available for that if you want that ability.

Edit:  Appears from this page ( https://www.malwarebytes.com/browserguard/  )  it's for windows only.  I'm sure there is one possibly in beta for Mac available someone can post the info for.

• Staff

Appears from this page ( https://www.malwarebytes.com/browserguard/  )  it's for windows only.

Although it's not officially supported on the Mac, that's just a technicality based on the fact that it hasn't been heavily tested on Mac. In practice, I've seen no indication it doesn't work in Chrome and Firefox on Mac. Most of us have been using it on our Macs for some time.

Edited by treed