Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Suitiepie said:

I suppose it all depends on your view of professional. To some, MS Paint GUI is professional.  Potato Potatoe.

Of course it's subjective, for me profesionnal means clean and sober, just like this for example -->

Annotation 2019-10-27 160619.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, fredvries said:

I dislike the free space. The robot and skyview are not in any way helpful. They're just there to fill the emptyness. Remove the empty space and you'll end up with a sleeker GUI.

The Skyview is on the actual window title bar.  It is just an idea and is really here nor there, it's a Windows title bar.
The robot is here nor there. It just shows the devs that there are options for them, either in the background of a white window display area or in the area which is where the other setting options show up.

The empty space, there isn't really much empty space, look at the resized second image for a better size.

I suppose we could always have everything in the Tray Icon, with ticks and menus that cascade out like windows 95. Always an option for those who want to save space.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Doess88 said:

Of course it's subjective, for me profesionnal means clean and sober, just like this for example -->

Annotation 2019-10-27 160619.jpg

Turn it on it's side, reduce it by 50%, and I'd be happy with that too.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Suitiepie said:

Turn it on it's side, reduce it by 50%, and I'd be happy with that too.

Totally agree, sounds good !

Share this post


Link to post

I find it amusing though, ten years ago, add shading and shadows to a GUI, it's all great and impressive. Now, add shadows and shading to a button and it's suddenly 'unprofessional'.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Suitiepie said:

There ya go, another example.

Image7.png

This looks perfect to me, easy and clean, nice job, hope you will inspire them !

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Suitiepie said:

I find it amusing though, ten years ago, add shading and shadows to a GUI, it's all great and impressive. Now, add shadows and shading to a button and it's suddenly 'unprofessional'.

Amen!  This 'modern'/'web' look that everyone has adopted looks like the kind of basic/lazy mockups we used to create for products that were still in development to show the basic layout and never would have passed mustard as the final UI.  It's like we reached the pinnacle of eccentric design with Aero glass in Vista/7, then all of the sudden everything had to be made 'touch' friendly and 'mobile' friendly which is a lot easier to do with flat, dimensionless controls and lots of unused empty white space and with the sizes and resolutions of screens (including on mobile devices like tablets and smart phones) increasing each year, I suspect we're going to see a swing back in the other direction before too long.

Share this post


Link to post
58 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Amen!

Agreed. I think of it as GUI's for babies.  I can't stand the win10 menu, so had to alter that personally. :D

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not interested in different skins - just want a clean, uncluttered, professional appearance. After setup, I just want Malwarebytes Premium to get on with doing the admirable job that it does quietly and without fuss, warn me of any issues and allow me intervene when necessary with easy to understand dialogues. On the odd occasion when I have to delve deeper, I want the submenus to be easy to navigate.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, TempLost said:

I'm not interested in different skins - just want a clean, uncluttered, professional appearance. After setup, I just want Malwarebytes Premium to get on with doing the admirable job that it does quietly and without fuss, warn me of any issues and allow me intervene when necessary with easy to understand dialogues. On the odd occasion when I have to delve deeper, I want the submenus to be easy to navigate.

Well said @TempLost.  My feelings exactly.

Share this post


Link to post

These are all just ideas, and the skin examples show easier navigation than what they currently have. 

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, TempLost said:

I'm not interested in different skins - just want a clean, uncluttered, professional appearance. After setup, I just want Malwarebytes Premium to get on with doing the admirable job that it does quietly and without fuss, warn me of any issues and allow me intervene when necessary with easy to understand dialogues. On the odd occasion when I have to delve deeper, I want the submenus to be easy to navigate.

Well said. MWB is a security application not a productivity application. As such it needs to do its job in the background and not become a distraction. When the user needs to interact with it, MWB's screens or popups should communicate clearly the reason for the alert and the actions [options] available or the current status of any activity and database update status.

In v3.x the use of recognizable color-coding [green, orange, red] and recognizable graphic elements [ checkmark, exclamation mark, and stop sign] quickly signaled current status information even before the user read the accompanying written information.

MWB isn't [ and shouldn't be ] my main working focus. When necessary to interact with it I want it's interface to be easy to decipher. I do not want or need graphics or animations that do not add any additional useful information. I do not want to spend unnecessary time searching for settings or repeatedly reading docs to determine how to work with quarantined items or add exclusions.

Thanks to the MWB team for listening to our feedback.

Share this post


Link to post

I totally agree with the above post.  Well stated, Carson70 and TempLost.

There is a Global epidemic with the stealing of people's information (bank accounts, credit cards, credit bureaus, etc.).  This is the INFORMATION age!

I hope that the MB development team will do the right thing and remove ALL the graphics; which will give more 'space' to include useful facts at a glance.

Robert

Share this post


Link to post

I find myself 'joining the the choir' here. I regard MBAM as a (valued) tool & expect the UI to provide detailed status at a glance, sans glitz. Make it skinnable for those that crave personalization (if you must), but I, too, would prefer a more business-like (professional) presentation. Never quite got over the Windows XP 'Fisher-Price' interface... which was, at least, optional. Just another $.02.

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you everyone for taking the time to proving feedback and also testing the latest Beta product.

We have provided the feedback to our Product/UI team.

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/26/2019 at 4:37 PM, Suitiepie said:

Please find attached an example of better looking and flowing Malwarebytes 4x GUI.
It's not perfect with every icon and pixel, been up all night messing around with ideas and came up with this.

Hope this inspires the devs.

MalwareBytes4-GUI-Remix.png

Thank you very much for taking the time to put this together. Your enthusiasm for Malwarebytes is admirable and we appreciate your passion and dedication! One of the many challenges UI/UX designers face is creating a design that is aesthetically pleasing and functional for a variety of people. The Design team has put in a lot of effort to produce a design that works for users with accessibility needs and accommodates multiple languages (some of which result in some lengthy translations). While we regret that the current design has missed the mark of excellence for many people in this thread, we are constantly focused on improvement and appreciate your feedback.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not sure that I agree with all of the above (some of it is fair enough).

The MB3 GIU was full of a lot of white space - why not fill it with something?

Yes they could have filled that space with the contents of other pages, but would that have made it a bit too much to take in all at once?
Would it have made the interface look too cluttered?
Or would you prefer to have each page show the information that is relevent to that function without cluttering it up with stuff you are not interested in right now? And change to another page when you want to see that particular function?

I believe that this whole argument/dissatisfaction/(fear?) is a change in expectation of what the userbase wants to see - and what the Dev's think the userbase wants to see.
I am seeing the same arguments on another product forum about their changes to their core application GUI.

Whilst we may (some of us) be used to seeing  applications such as Malwarebytes as technical tools for technical people it has become an essential user application.
And the developers behind it (who BTW do all the work so that we can reap the benefits) have to move with the times or go extinct.

If that means changing the GUI to appeal to a different set of users then fair enough - as long as the application does what I want it to then I can put up with a few graphics that I may not like that much.

Edited by nukecad

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, nukecad said:

I'm not sure that I agree with all of the above (some of it is fair enough).

The MB3 GIU was full of a lot of white space - why not fill it with something?

Yes they could have filled that space with the contents of other pages, but would that have made it a bit too much to take in all at once?
Would it have made the interface look too cluttered?
Or would you prefer to have each page show the information that is relevent to that function without cluttering it up with stuff you are not interested in right now? And change to another page when you want to see that particular function?

I believe that this whole argument/dissatisfaction/(fear?) is a change in expectation of what the userbase wants to see - and what the Dev's think the userbase wants to see.
I am seeing the same arguments on another product forum about their changes to their core application GUI.

Whilst we may (some of us) be used to seeing  applications such as Malwarebytes as technical tools for technical people it has become an essential user application.
And the developers behind it (who BTW do all the work so that we can reap the benefits) have to move with the times or go extinct.

If that means changing the GUI to appeal to a different set of users then fair enough - as long as the application does what I want it to then I can put up with a few graphics that I may not like that much.

I don't disagree and there is a middle ground - and I think that, generally, Malwarebytes strikes that reasonable balance. I occasionally use a respected piece of software designed to run selected repairs on Windows to resolve problems caused by corrupted files, user errors, malware damage etc. (not one of the 'snake oil' fix-all registry manglers!) but this software uses an unappealing and somewhat confusing GUI invoking the days of Windows 95 and I'm sure it would have a much wider customer base if the GUI were updated. But instead, consumers are seduced by the slicker GUIs of the registry cleaner brigade.

Share this post


Link to post

Just thought I was add my 50 cents.........

When i installed V4 Beta, and saw the new interface for the first time, my instant impression was of a freeware/snake-oil app. The type of cheap gimmicky software that promises to speed up your internet connection/free up space on your disks/optimise windows etc. I was actually quite shocked.

Apologies to the team as I do not mean to offend in any way, but I agree with the majority, it has lost it's clean professional look and become more like an app for kids.

:(

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/29/2019 at 9:26 PM, H4V0C said:

Thank you very much for taking the time to put this together. Your enthusiasm for Malwarebytes is admirable and we appreciate your passion and dedication! One of the many challenges UI/UX designers face is creating a design that is aesthetically pleasing and functional for a variety of people. The Design team has put in a lot of effort to produce a design that works for users with accessibility needs and accommodates multiple languages (some of which result in some lengthy translations). While we regret that the current design has missed the mark of excellence for many people in this thread, we are constantly focused on improvement and appreciate your feedback.

like professional

Share this post


Link to post

Would it be too great a burden on the devs to maintain the "classic" GUI and also create a new one, with the choice of which to display offered during installation (or perhaps the ability to toggle between them)?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.