Chrome Bugging/ Desktop issues.

Hello Malwarebytes! I am honestly new here, but have been using Malwarebytes for a long time. Recently, I have seemed to encounter a nasty glitch/bug that will not go away, and I do suspect it is a form of malware. I have gone by trying to detect it with various programs, but it always seems to reemerge every now and again. 

Simply, what happens, is I will boot my PC, and at the desktop I will see my icons and everything, but I will be unable to click anything until I CTRL + ALT + DEL, and open task manager. After this, all seems well.. but it isn't.. I cannot move any of my desktop icons around.. My biggest issue, is that when I open chrome, various glitches happen. I click the refresh button, and it opens the same page but in another tab, It forcefully makes me open all of my tabs I have saved that are in my book marks folders, If I click back, it opens up the same tab, if I click ON the tab it closes it (Really frustrating this specific  glitch), as well as I cannot type in the address bar...

I have tried various fixes, running multitudes of cleaners, (Malwarebytes, ADW, CCleaner, rkill64) etc. the list goes on, but I can't seem to get rid of it.

Also, when I run rkill64, it always detects a singular PUP., each time I run it and I have no idea what it is, but I fear this may be the culprit. In order to rid myself temporarily of the issue, I usually do a decent/full clean of my PC, then shutdown and reboot and this sometimes works. 

I have also tried to boot in safe mode, and the issue has persisted during this time as well, even when I try chrome offline!...

I have also tried reinstalling chrome, and cleaning out cookies/browser stuff, as well as deleting and doing a full wipe of chrome which has not worked..

I have disabled all startup processes which also has not worked. 

I have done many things I think that should have fixed the issue, and I've only found a handful of people online with the same issue, in which have not found a fix. I also would try a system restore, but I've heard of the issue persisting, and I am unsure if I have a restore point before this bug?.. I'm not sure, but I may need to do this, or get help restoring properly..

Please if anyone has any knowledge of what I could do to fix, end this problem, it will be greatly valued!.

Thank you!

Hello, Welcome to Malwarebytes.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

We need more information before we can give you sound advice.

Download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST).
Choose the 32 or 64 bit version for your system.
and save it to a folder on your computer's Desktop.
Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

How to attach a file:
In the Reply section in the bottom of the topic Select Click the Choose a File.
Navigate to the location of the File.
Click the file. It will appear in section.
Click the Saving button.

Please post the logs for my review.

Wait for further instructions
====

Ok so, interestingly enough I was able rid myself of it temporarily (from a PC clean), and I have't gotten it yet. I however, DID get it very temporarily.. only for about 5-10 seconds, and it randomly went away?.. It was strange.. but each time I seem to have a anti-virus program or something enabled (I had Zenama enabled), it seems the virus, or w/e it is can't work.. I'm still unsure. 

I'll be attaching the FRST scan anyways, but currently I am not suffering issues...

Also, sorry for the late reply, the help is appreciated!

Addition.txt FRST.txt

Hi,

Do you still need this Live Update from MSI?
HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\NTIOLib_LiveUpdate => C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI\Live Update\NTIOLib_X64.sys [14288 2017-08-24] (MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD. -> MSI)
Some files are missing and the service is locked.
Let me know if you have any issues with it.
===

Please download the attached Fixlist.txt file to  the same folder where the Farbar tool is running from.
The location is listed in the 3rd line of the FRST.txt log you have submitted.

Run FRST and click Fix only once and wait.

The Computer will restart when the fix is completed.

It will create a log (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.
===

--RogueKiller--

• Download & SAVE to your Desktop Download RogueKiller
  • Quit all programs that you may have started.
  • Please disconnect any USB or external drives from the computer before you run this scan!
  • For Vista or above, right-click the program file and select "Run as Administrator"
  • Accept the user agreements.
  • Execute the scan and wait until it has finished.
  • If a Windows opens to explain what [PUM's] are, read about it.
  • Click the RoguKiller icon on your taksbar to return to the report.
  • Click open the Report
  • Click Export TXT button
  • Save the file as ReportRogue.txt
  • Click the Remove button to delete the items in RED  
  • Click Finish and close the program.
  • Locate the ReportRogue.txt file on your Desktop and copy/paste the contents in your next.

=======

Please post the logs and let me know what problem persists.

fixlist.txt

So as a quick reply. Did the fix, seems to be going well! I had the problem, and restarted PC with fixlog (Which I will post as an attatchment), and my PC seems to be doing good right now. I am currently downloading RougeKiller, to run, and see if I need to clean more out... Thank you so much for your help! I'll reply if I have anymore issues... Also, if you could fill me in on what exactly happened or what FRST did exactly, that would be great to know... from what I saw, it deleted a bunch of temp files etc... 

Fixlog.txt

Ok, So, sorry for a late reply.. I did both of the fixes, and now it is back and wont go away no matter what I do. I shutdown, restart PC, and I do not have sync enabled in chrome.. and I can move desktop icons/ and interact with various programs by clicking on my desktop... Its very frustrating, and not only that, but rougekiller didn't detect anything, and typically MWB doesn't either.... 

Not sure what to do to rid myself of this..

Ok actually interesting development... I did a shutdown, just recently, after doing fixlog.txt, and a rougekiller scan.. it seemed like my chrome was acting glitchy, as well as desktop, and now I can move stuff again?...

UPDATE: The issue is BACK, yet again. To answer your question, In safe mode, it is the same on chrome even though it is offline, and cannot move icons in safemode as well.

Hi,

Repair these services.

Boot with Safe Mode with Networking. Execute the following.

Please Download Tweaking.com - Windows Repair from Here

• Install and then run the program
  • Execute the instructions on Step 1 Important
  • Click Next on Step 2 Optional, do the Pre Scan skip Step 3 and 4 Optional for now.
  • On Step 5 Backup System Restore Do a Registry backup. When you have completed this click Next
  • Click Repairs - Open Repairs in the bottom right corner
  • Uncheck the All repair button then select just the item(s) listed below

• 01 - Repair Registry Permissions
    03 - Reset Service permissions
    04 - Register System Files
    05 - Repair WMI
    10 - Remove Policies Set By Infections
    12 - Repair Icons
    16 - Repair Windows Updates
    19 - Repair Windows Sidebar/Gadgets
    20 - Repair MSI (Windows Installer)
    .. 22.09 - Repair lnk (Shortcut) Associations
    25 - Restore Important Windows Services
    26 - Set Windows Service to Default Startup
    27.02 - Repair Windows 8/10 Apps Store (Completely Reset Apps Store)
  • Click the Start button and let the process run to completion. Copy any error messages into Notepad, Save it on your Desktop. ( Reboot if asked to do so)
  • Please copy and paste the Contents of this file on your next reply.

===

Restart the computer normally.

How is the computer running now?
===

p.s.
If the problem persists and you are at ease in looking and searching the registry naviate to this page.
How to reset shortcuts (.lnk file) in Windows 7?
https://superuser.com/questions/92869/how-to-reset-shortcuts-lnk-file-in-windows-7

You will find the instructions to create and execute a fixshortcuts.reg file.
Just compare the data from the listed items to what you now have showing in your registry.
Do not do any chage yet.

Let me know what you find.

• Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks