MalwareBytes 4 takes over as primary antivirus provider on Windows 10

I just installed the latest beta for Malwarebytes 4, and it appears to take over as the primary antivirus provider on Windows 10 and turns off Windows Defender.

Is this standard behavior and should Malwarebytes being doing this? I thought it was only useful for detection and removal of malware. Is it capable of also being a primary antivirus application?

Oops, I see there is already a thread for this topic.

However, I do have some questions. Is Malwarebytes capable of doing the same job as Windows Defender and scan for both malware and viruses? Should I switch Malwarebytes off in the Security Center and use Windows Defender as primary, and if so, will that prevent Malwarebytes from working as well?

Greetings,

Malware is actually a classification of software that includes viruses and all other malicious software (the term 'malware' is actually a combination of the words 'malicious software'; you can learn more about what malware is and how it is defined by reviewing the Malwarebytes Glossary entry for the term Malware found here) and Malwarebytes is positioned as an antivirus replacement meaning you may use Malwarebytes alone if you wish to do so.  You can find more details on this subject in this post.

With that said, Malwarebytes, including version 4, is still designed to be compatible with other active security software, including antivirus, so if you wish to use both in order to have a more layered protection configuration for your system you may do so.  Just open Malwarebytes and navigate to the settings menu by clicking the gear icon at the top right and then select Security and toggle the option under Windows Security Center in Malwarebytes to the off position and restart your system.  This should allow Windows Defender to run alongside Malwarebytes so that you may benefit from the protection provided by both applications.

I hope this helps, and if there is anything else we might assist you with please let us know.

Thanks

7 hours ago, exile360 said:

Greetings,

Malware is actually a classification of software that includes viruses and all other malicious software (the term 'malware' is actually a combination of the words 'malicious software'; you can learn more about what malware is and how it is defined by reviewing the Malwarebytes Glossary entry for the term Malware found here) and Malwarebytes is positioned as an antivirus replacement meaning you may use Malwarebytes alone if you wish to do so.  You can find more details on this subject in this post.

With that said, Malwarebytes, including version 4, is still designed to be compatible with other active security software, including antivirus, so if you wish to use both in order to have a more layered protection configuration for your system you may do so.  Just open Malwarebytes and navigate to the settings menu by clicking the gear icon at the top right and then select Security and toggle the option under Windows Security Center in Malwarebytes to the off position and restart your system.  This should allow Windows Defender to run alongside Malwarebytes so that you may benefit from the protection provided by both applications.

I hope this helps, and if there is anything else we might assist you with please let us know.

Thanks

Thank you for the explanation, that is very helpful.

I cannot get Windows Defender to stay on even though I turned off the "Always register malwarebyte in the Windows Security Center and closed out and rebooted.

When I click to turn on Defender to do periodic scanning in Windows Virus @ Threat Protection and then click Yes when I get the notification to allow it and it immediately switches the 'periodic scanning' option back to off. Yes, I even turned the PC off, rebooted and checked to make sure the MBAM option to 'Register' was still turned OFF and went back to Windows Security Center and tried it again. No luck. I cannot get Defender to go back on. 

I really don't know if it is MBAM's fault or not. I was just curious.

Thanks,

1 hour ago, Buffalo said:

I really don't know if it is MBAM's fault or not. I was just curious.

We need to get information from this machine in order to have the proper detail to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support- 1.5.1.681.exe to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.