HELP! New BETA will not install or let me 'End Task'...

wheeler47

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 5:27 PM, Malwarebytes said:

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Reveal hidden contents

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column

mbst_get_started.jpg

7. Click the Gather Logs button

mbst_advanced_gather_logs.jpg

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

mbst_getting_logs.jpg

9. Upon completion, a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be found on your Desktop. Click OK

mbst_log_saved_desktop.jpg

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Reveal hidden contents

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Reveal hidden contents

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

• Staff

Hi @wheeler47,

Thanks for reporting this.

Before doing anything else, please carry out the steps below:

• Open Task Manager.
  • In the list of processes, look for "MBAMInstallerService".
  • If you find it, right-click the process and click Create dump file.
  • A file named mbaminstallerservice.exe.dmp will be created in your %temp% folder.
  • Press the Windows Key + R on your keyboard, enter %temp% and click OK.
  • Right-click mbaminstallerservice.exe.dmp and click Send to -> Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • Upload the newly created zip file to a file hosting service of your choice and provide a download link.

Afterwards, please carry out the "technical issue" instructions in the post above.

Edited by LiquidTension

• Staff

Thanks for the file. We've seen this issue before and have a defect filed for it.

Since providing the logs, has the machine been shut down? If it hasn't, do you see a "Malwarebytes Service Installer" listed as a background process in Task Manager? When you open Task Manager, be sure to click the arrow next to More details and look under the Background processes section. You can also find it listed as MBAMInstallerService.exe in the Details tab.

Please generate a memory dump using the previously provided instructions if the machine hasn't been shut down.

Hi Wheeler47.

Be sure that this pc was rebooted today.

This pc is reported to have Norton Security Suite.

I would suggest that it be adjusted to treat Malwarebytes for Windows as a trusted application.

There is one written article  on that subject.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1123

Though we are dealing with the Beta version 4, the principles are the same.

Once you have Norton adjusted, you can go about doing the Malwarebytes beta setup.    Take your time.  Have patience.

Just my own clarity; should I first uninstall from my laptop, what is left of the malfunctioning "Malwarebytes"? Where do I go, how do get 'Beta version 4', and is that what I had before, which was working fine? Lastly, I am due to renew my yearly subscription this month, so will this mess up my account in any way? I'm a little confused and quite concerned...

First,  none of this will "have any effect" as concerns your license or renewal or license rights.  You need not be concerned about the Premium license.

You were the one saying you were trying to install the beta version 4.   The pc had version Malwarebytes version 3.8.3.2965

and the attempt to setup beta version 4 failed.

Let me suggest these next steps.   The aim is to get a new clean install with beta version 4.0.2

[   A   ]

Recall the original Email address you used on the original license purchase.

That same email is what you should use to login to Malwarebytes MyAccount.

https://my.malwarebytes.com/en/login

If you have misplaced or do not have the password for that login, use the blue "Forgot password" link.

Keep in mind that the Email has to be valid and active.

If you manage to get in there, The Subscriptions tab lists your Malwarebytes purchases and corresponding license keys.

You can Deactivate the license on that portal.  Then re-activate the license Keys in the program itself   ( but Later on. ).

[   B   ]

Let's perform a cleanup Uninstall of the  Malwarebytes for Windows version using our Malwarebytes Support Tool. This is designed to automate the clean uninstallation of Malwarebytes for Windows.

Malwarebytes Support Tool (MBST)

• Open your Downloads folder.
  •      Double-click  mb-support-1.5.1.681     to start the tool.
  • You  may   be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!".
  • Click the Advanced Options link. This is important. Please ensure Advanced Options is clicked.
  • Click the Clean button followed by Yes to proceed.
  • Upon completion, click OK to reboot your computer.
  • After the reboot, please wait for the program to reopen.

You will be presented with the option to install Malwarebytes for Windows. Click NO.

We only just want the uninstall.   Close the tool when done.

[   C   ]

Now you are ready to download the setup for Beta 4.0.2  of Malwarebytes for Windows.

download the setup file    from this link.

Click the blue-color download button on that link.   Ignore the text in middle of that page.

Be sure to SAVE the file first.  Save it to the Downloads folder.     ( or else to the Desktop ).

Then using your mouse-pointer, do a Right-click on the setup file and select RUN as Administrator.

Reply YES when prompted by Windows.   Reply YES to allow it to proceed.

Follow all prompts.   Have lots of patience.

Let me know when this is all done.   Provide details.   On the next pass, I can guide you on re-activating the Premium license.

• Staff

Hi Rich,

This won't have any impact on your Malwarebytes subscription.

You ran into an issue with upgrading from Malwarebytes version 3 to Malwarebytes version 4 (beta). We have a defect filed for the issue and hope to have it fixed in the next release. You will need to carry out the instructions above to perform a clean uninstallation with the Malwarebytes Support Tool (refer to the steps labelled as "B"). Afterwards, you should have no issues reinstalling Malwarebytes version 4 using the download link provided.

• Staff

wheeler47 - I see you opened a ticket on our HelpDesk.  Please follow the instructions provided in that email which are essentially the same as you were given here - use our Support Tool to perform a Clean/Reinstall and let us know if that resolved the issue for you