pcpunk

Possible Malware

I wonder why Produkey is being flagged as Malware?  I guess the MWB team don't like this one.

Generic.Malware/Suspicious, E:\PRODUCT KEY FINDERS\PRODUKEYZIP\PRODUKEY\PRODUKEY.EXE, No Action By User, [0], [392686],1.0.12833

And, I have another Pup that's been Quarantined for a long time and forgot about it.  Could someone help me with these?

PUP.Optional.InstallCore, HKU\S-1-5-21-2980750377-741722422-2426231483-1000\SOFTWARE\CSASTATS\ic, Quarantined, [411], [586068],1.0.8455

MWB ic Reg Key Problem.txt MWB PRODUKEY.txt

Hello and thank you for reporting this.

Please attach the file in question here for us to review. For the second item, why do you believe it to be a false positive?

Thanks,

Chris:

For the 1st issue:  I was able to reproduce the F/P by creating the sub-directly tree noted [  E:\PRODUCT KEY FINDERS\PRODUKEYZIP\PRODUKEY ]  and dropping NirSoft's ProduKey.exe utility in that folder.  At the same time it was not flagged in c:\tools\ProduKey.exe

EDIT:

Note this is v1.93

ProduKey.zip

Edited by David H. Lipman

Attachment PRODUKEY.EXE  This one looks like it was from 2017, so perhaps that is the difference?  I will download a new one in the meantime.

8 hours ago, screen317 said:

Hello and thank you for reporting this.

Please attach the file in question here for us to review. For the second item, why do you believe it to be a false positive?

Thanks,

I don't really believe the second one is a False positive, I just don't know much about malware.  I fear it is not harmful but is part of some software that I use?  I will gladly remove it if that's what needs to be done.  I guess things have been working well enough for all this time so it's likely to be okay to delete it.  I would however like to know how it got there, or what software it is attached too?

produkey.zip

Okay, the old one is being Flagged as Malware Still.  Just downloaded a new one, the new one is not being Flagged.  So I will just Delete the old one when I hear back from you guys.