Catalina is out

I'm having no issues using version 3.9.32, publicly released Saturday, with Catalina, so far.

Answers are normally provided within 24 business hours. It's only been 4 by my calculations.

Edited by alvarnell

Well I calculate back to September 15th when I proactively asked in the MacOS Beta thread about Catalina and got no response.  My comment is the last in that thread.  So Catalina was released today and I asked again.  Crickets.  

And I'm on 3.9.27 which from within the program itself it says it IS THE LATEST VERSION.  So if the program update checker doesn't work, I have another bone to pick.  I don't have time to go to the website and keep up with program updates.  The software should do that.

Hello All:

I too am using macOS Catalina 10.15 (19A583) with Malwarebytes for Mac 3.9.32.2826 and so far all seems okay.

HTH

Edit: After further review, "You're not fully protected." is displayed in the UI.  Full Disk Access is not being allowed.  Selecting the "Learn How" UI box leads to an obsolete procedure.   Current support documents will require updates.

Edited by 1PW

8 hours ago, alvarnell said:

Can’t speak for @treed, of course, but I suspect he believes he responded with best information available on Sep 27 with 

That's a beta.  Catalina is out.  Is there an updated version of MWB.  Is the version you quoted that the software update checker doesn't recognize yet, that version

Ok, so after posting my two comments above, I opened the program and did another manual check.  It found and updated to 3.9.32.  Screen opened and said "You're not fully protected".   We recommend enabling full disc access.....learn how.

Leads to :  https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-3477

Yep.  Get to step 7 - 

1. Check the box next to Malwarebytes Protection in the list.

There is nothing in the list.  I have to click the plus / minus sign to add something in the list.  Malwarebytes shows as an application in the list and choosing it does not fix the main program screen from showing "You're not fully protected..."

What needs to be added in that screen to resolve the error.  Why are the instructions wrong.

Instructions worked for me, but that wasn't with the current version of Catalina, so may have changed today.

I would first quit Malwarebytes and relaunch. Then either Log Out or Reboot.

If neither of those work, then these are the only other instructions I'm currently aware of https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/251595-installation-failures-on-macos/

But they are supposed to be only when malware has damaged something.

Finder -> go to folder

/Library/Application Support/Malwarebytes/MBAM/Engine.bundle/Contents/PlugIns/RTProtectionDaemon.app

Important: it is displayed as Malwarebytes Protection in that folder

Malwarebytes Protection (which corresponds to RTProtectionDaemon.app) is the app to give full access to the disk.

Installed version 3.9.32 downloadable from the official site (not beta version): it works correctly with macOS Version 10.15 (Build 19A583)

Edited by MAXBAR1
added app name

10 minutes ago, MAXBAR1 said:

Finder -> go to folder

/Library/Application Support/Malwarebytes/MBAM/Engine.bundle/Contents/PlugIns/RTProtectionDaemon.app

Malwarebytes Protection (which corresponds to RTProtectionDaemon.app) is the app to give full access to the disk.

Installed version 3.9.32 downloadable from the official site (not beta version): it works correctly with macOS Version 10.15 (Build 19A583)

Ok, that's where I thought it was at.  However, Engine.bundle has nothing to drill down to below that.  I click on it and it looks like a white lego, not a folder so something happened when the software updated.

10 minutes ago, MAXBAR1 said:

58 minutes ago, GuruGuy said:

Ok, that's where I thought it was at.  However, Engine.bundle has nothing to drill down to below that.  I click on it and it looks like a white lego, not a folder so something happened when the software updated.

Right click on ENGINE.BUNDLE -> show package contents -> Contents -> PlugIns
In there you will find the file but if you paste the complete path that I have indicated it will take you directly to the file concerned (RTProtectionDaemon or Malwarebytes Protection if you prefer)

7 minutes ago, MAXBAR1 said:

Right click on ENGINE.BUNDLE -> show package contents -> Contents -> PlugIns
In there you will find the file but if you paste the complete path that I have indicated it will take you directly to the file concerned (RTProtectionDaemon or Malwarebytes Protection if you prefer)

And that did the trick.  The act of going into it manually made it appear in the +/- list in the security settings.  The instructions need some work

• Staff
19 hours ago, GuruGuy said:

And I'm on 3.9.27 which from within the program itself it says it IS THE LATEST VERSION.  So if the program update checker doesn't work, I have another bone to pick.  I don't have time to go to the website and keep up with program updates.  The software should do that.

The updater does work, and is working as intended. In the initial stages of a new release, it's throttled so that only a limited number of people get the update. Checking manually overrides the throttling and gives you the update now.

• Staff
5 hours ago, GuruGuy said:

And that did the trick.  The act of going into it manually made it appear in the +/- list in the security settings.  The instructions need some work

That is not supposed to be necessary. The instructions work as written... or, at least, they did. It looks like something may have changed between the Catalina betas/GM and the official release, but we're not sure what yet. We're investigating.

13 minutes ago, treed said:

The updater does work, and is working as intended. In the initial stages of a new release, it's throttled so that only a limited number of people get the update. Checking manually overrides the throttling and gives you the update now.

I was actually manually checking from within the program yesterday (19 hours ago) and it was saying Up To Date, so that was not working until I tried it again this morning.

On 10/8/2019 at 1:50 PM, MAXBAR1 said:

Finder -> go to folder

Thank you @MAXBAR1 - this solved the problem! Kudos to you 👏 🙂