SCOS spy camera app / Monitor.JSpy

Hi,

When downloading the camera app from 

https://www.spycameraos.com/

on my mobile, malwarebytes alerts me that malware is detected. Android/Monitor.JSpy is listed. When downloaded in windows and scanned, malwarebytes give no alert detection. I contacted author of the apk and he stated that it is not infected with a trojan and that malwarebytes is probably detecting that the camera wants to start in the background. I can upload the apk file for review but, since this is my first post, donlt want to break any rules.

Can you offer any guidance on why I am getting this alert?

Thanks,
Smackus

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Removed live hyperlink

Hi @Smackus,

Malwarebytes for Android is taking a more aggressive stance against stalkerware.

Therefore, apps that used to be clean may now be detected as Monitor.  Monitor is a subset of Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs), thus it’s NOT considered malware.

The main purpose of detecting these Monitor apps is to make unsuspecting users aware of their presence.  Especially in cases of domestic abuse where abusers have physical access to victims mobile devices.

If you are aware of the presence of these apps, you can simply ignore them using this method:

1. Run a scan.
  2. On the results screen, below each checkbox is drop-down arrow. Click on the arrow.
  3. From the list of options, select “Ignore Always.” Future scans will no longer detect the app as suspicious.

If you change your mind and like to stop ignoring, you can do so at any time by:

1. Tap Menu icon
  2. Tap Scanner
  3. Tap Whitelist (upper right corner)
  4. Remove from list

We apologize for inconvenience, but due to the extreme outcomes of not letting unsuspecting victims aware of these apps, we will continue to take a hard stance on Monitor apps.

Thank you for understanding,

Nathan

• 3 weeks later...