Posted (edited)

@throkr

For the same reason I thought I should do a clean install as well.  I copied the config folder, clean installed the beta, but when I went to copy back the config folder it said I had to have administrator authority.  I am logged on with an administrator account.  Do you know how I should do the copy back to the progdata folder?  I had exited Malwarebytes before trying to do the copy back.

Thanks,
Bill

Edited by BillH99999

You might need to disable self-protection in Malwarebytes, then exit Malwarebytes, then copy the folder over.

Posted (edited)

That didn't help.  Originally I had completely exited Malwarebytes before trying the copy.  This time I turned off self-protection and tried it.  No luck.  I then also exited Malwarebytes and tried it.  No luck.  This is the error I'm getting.

image.png.3f44cb2ce2610bf9140f46c201e2b119.png

I tried copying the entire folder and also copying the files in the folder.  No luck.

Thanks
Bill

Edited by BillH99999

Can you please try this @BillH99999

1. Go to services.msc and Stop the Malwarebytes service.

2. Copy the config folder.

3. Start the service.

@nikhils

When I go into services.msc the Malwarebytes service is already stopped.  Still can't copy the folder.

@exile360

I'll try safe mode.

Thanks,
Bill

Posted (edited)

@BillH99999,

Directly after the clean install, I exited MB (right-click systray icon > quit MB) and then copied the previously saved content of the folders "config" and "scanresults" into the new ones.

I then started MB again and everything was fine ....

All this logged as Administrator, of course.

Edited by throkr
additions

Posted (edited)

Very weird.  I did the same right up to the point of copying the previously saved content into the new ones.  That is when I get the error.  I am signed in as an administrator, but that didn't help.

I tried exile360's suggestion of using safe mode.  I was able to copy the contents in safe mode without getting the error.  However when I started MB none of my settings were there.

Oh well... I'll just start from scratch.  There REALLY needs to be an easier way to copy settings and scan results from one installation to another.  This has been asked for by customers for several years but it just falls on deaf ears.

Bill

Edit:  Interestingly, it did not remember any of my settings but it did remember my whitelist.  

Edited by BillH99999

Posted (edited)

Well, when it works, I find it a very easy and fast way to get all the settings (and lists) back. Until a better way comes up ...

That's precisely one of the reasons why I decided to follow @exile360's recommendation, knowing that it would not take much time.

But, as said, when it works .....

Anyway starting from scratch seems a good idea and I hope you'll get lucky this time.

Edited by throkr
typo

@throkr

I decided to just forget copying over the old stuff.  I went in and manually reset all the settings and rescheduled my scans.  I only wish MB had a built in way to import the settings and whitelist and scan results from a previous install to a new install.  I know Norton Security works just fine.  Why does MB feel the need to wipe out all the settings when you do an install?  Oh well.  Small price to pay I guess for such a good program.  It's just that it could be just a little better!

Bill

I suspect the the problem is due to the fact that the structure of the config files change whenever any new settings are added.  It makes updating tough sometimes because you don't always have a 1:1 match for every setting/option in the configuration files and if the program isn't able to load any particular setting correctly from the config files it will fall back on the 'clean' backup copies that it keeps just in case of data corruption resulting in most of your settings being reset to their defaults (this was implemented a long time ago to guard against frequent program failures that were due to config file/data corruption under various scenarios and it made the program much more robust and better at handling such situations rather than just throwing an error and crashing, necessitating a clean install to fix it anyway).

As for why you had so much trouble copying the files over, my only guess is it had to be an issue with Windows permissions for that location.  By default you should have full write access there, but I suspect that for whatever reason it is different on your system which is why Safe Mode worked (and why I suggested it to begin with because I suspected this to be the case).

@exile360

Thanks for your help with my problem.  It did allow me to do the copy although I still didn't get my settings carried over.  

I don't know why I wouldn't have access.  That is strange.  I haven't changed anything so all is as it was when I installed Win10.

What you say is what all the staff keep saying.  I buy it to a point, but I have other programs that don't have any problem wlth uninstall / install still being able to use the same settings.  I think it must have more to do with how MB saves their settings.  MB could have a way to export and import settings that they keep up to date from version to version.  I don't expect that they change all that many settings between versions.  Oh well... MB is still a great program.

Bill

Usually settings are imported during upgrade installs.  The exception is when there is a major change in the program where older config files are no longer compatible, such as going from an early 2.x build to a current 3.x build.  I don't know how 4.x works exactly, but I do know that there are at least some issues upgrading from one 4.x beta to another and this is something that is even called out in the release notes for the current beta.  I suspect it is because they are still ironing out what the final settings structure will look like.

As for your system in particular, it is entirely possible that a third party application has at some point altered the permissions on that location since it is your local user data folder and a common location used by applications to store local user settings.  If a software vendor manipulated permissions on that location incorrectly or something went wrong in the past during a program install or uninstall that could easily account for why the permissions differ on your system.  There are tools to check permissions/ACLs for files and folders as well as tools to manipulate them, but I don't know enough about what the default permissions would be for that location to walk you through it, but perhaps someone more knowledgeable about Windows 10 and file/folder permissions might.

On 10/1/2019 at 8:57 PM, BillH99999 said:

@nikhils

Oh, I see that isn't even correct.  If I disable automatic updates on the general tab it also causes the database updates to be disabled.  That shouldn't happen.  I want database updates to be automatic even if I disable version updates!

There really should be three options I guess and all together on the same tab.

Automatically download and install version updates.
Automatically download and install component updates.
Automatically download and install threat intelligence (database) updates.

Bill

This problem is still occurring in 4.0.3.

Bill

Edited by BillH99999