Beta 4.0.2.44

BillH99999

I do not know if this is still true, but with the original beta, if you upgraded to 4.0.1 from the first beta it would actually fail to use the correct signatures.  The only way to detect it was by scanning and having it detect false positives in the new heuristics engine which were known to have been fixed already.  Because of this, I would strongly recommend doing a clean install of any new 4.x beta build until they explicitly state that upgrades are OK.  You should have no trouble upgrading from the current 3.x release build to any 4.x beta, but going from one beta to another, at least for the moment, may have undesirable results (which may not be detectable unless you happen to have files on your system which were FPs known to be detected by the previous beta you upgraded from).

11 hours ago, nikhils said:

In settings when you now click on check for updates it will check for Database updates + Component Updates (CU) + Product version updates in a single check.

@nikhils

I have a related question.  In settings there is an option to automatically download and install updates.  If I turn that off, will I still get database updates automatically?  How about component updates?  In other words does this just prevent automatic version updates?

Thanks,
Bill

@nikhils

Actually, now I am more confused.  In the settings I only see the option as shown below.image.png.e7686984b4258b62c958616ae77f74a0.png

I don't see an option option called "automatically check for threat intelligence update".

So, are you saying if I disable "automatically download and install updates" then it will automatically download and install component and version updates but not database updates?  If that is the case it seems counter intuitive to me. I would have thought just the opposite would be true.  I would have thought that regardless of the setting you would always check for database updates and download and install them.  I would think disabling this setting would only prevent automatic updates of component and version updates.  I think it would be better if there were two settings, one for component updates and one for version updates.

Thanks
Bill

Edited by BillH99999

@nikhils

Ah... I was looking at the general tab.  I din't think to look on the security tab.  

How about the rest of my post.  So the option on the General tab for automatic updates only controls component and version updates?  If the option is disabled then these updates are not automatically downloaded and installed?  But database updates are installed as long as I don't have it disabled on the security tab?

I think it is a bit confusing for the options to be separated as they are.  On the general tab the "check for updates" button will update all three types of updates and the "automatically check for updates" option controls only component and version updates.  On the security tab the "automatically check for threat intelligence updates" option controls database updates.  I think it would be more clear to have these all together on either the general or security tab. 

As I mentioned, I also think it would be desirable to have the "automatically check for updates" option split into two options, one for component updates and one for version updates.  I know I would want auto updates of components, but not versions.

Thanks
Bill

Oh, I see that isn't even correct.  If I disable automatic updates on the general tab it also causes the database updates to be disabled.  That shouldn't happen.  I want database updates to be automatic even if I disable version updates!

There really should be three options I guess and all together on the same tab.

Automatically download and install version updates.
Automatically download and install component updates.
Automatically download and install threat intelligence (database) updates.

Bill

Edited by BillH99999

Hello @BillH99999

What you are seeing is a bug and we are fixing it on our end. Thank you for bringing it to our notice.

Just to re-iterate:

1. Under Security/Disabling "Automatically check for threat intelligence updates" will only disable DB updates but not CU+Installer updates.

2. Under General/Application updates disabling "Automatically download and install updates" will disable only CU+Installer updates user will still get the Database updates if the Automatically check for threat intelligence updates is enabled.

Thank you.

Hi,

As stated in post #2 above, I firstly installed on top of v. 4.0.1 but then ...

On 10/1/2019 at 10:46 AM, exile360 said:

I do not know if this is still true, but with the original beta, if you upgraded to 4.0.1 from the first beta it would actually fail to use the correct signatures.  The only way to detect it was by scanning and having it detect false positives in the new heuristics engine which were known to have been fixed already.  Because of this, I would strongly recommend doing a clean install of any new 4.x beta build until they explicitly state that upgrades are OK.  You should have no trouble upgrading from the current 3.x release build to any 4.x beta, but going from one beta to another, at least for the moment, may have undesirable results (which may not be detectable unless you happen to have files on your system which were FPs known to be detected by the previous beta you upgraded from).

So I decided to do a clean install (uninstall using the support tool without reinstallation at the end otherwise - at the moment - it installs v.3.8.3 ); I then followed the indications from @LiquidTension in this topic ( second part concerning the "config" folder) and got back all my settings (including allow list, scheduled scans list and protected applications list). I even imported the list of my scan results.

After this I did a threat scan (as this is normally asked after a new install).

I just wanted to share my experience as this might help / interest others.

Thanks for reading ! :) 

Edited by throkr
typo