GKG

Duplicate or Backup Threat File Eliminator

Since I obsessively back up everything, it would be very handy for MWB to maintain a deletion list of threat files it has found and which I have deleted locally.   Then, any time a backup device is loaded or otherwise accessed, I want to be given the option to scan it forspecific threats on a list of those previously identified.  I don't want to scan the entire multi-gigabyte backup drive mind you - its generally an identical copy of a local drive files in my case.

As it stands currently, I have to manually locate all copies of threat files and delete them one at a time.  Its a pain.

Greetings,

You should be able to use the Reports tab to review the results of previous scans and protection events which will give you the name and path of any objects that have been detected.  From there it should be a simple matter to then either delete them by hand from your backups, or to write a script or batch file to check for and delete any of those detected items from your backup drive(s).

With that said, the Malwarebytes scan engine and detection signatures are extremely dynamic, so maintaining and generating any sort of targeted threat scan to look only for previously detected objects on a new drive is not something that it can be used for and I have never seen any security product or scan engine that included this capability or any like it.  You don't necessarily have to scan your entire backup drive though, and the suggestion I made above for writing a script or batch file should address any such objects and if you are familiar with batch scripting you can even including error checking, logging and validation so that it creates a scan log of sorts revealing which items from your script were present on the backup drive, which ones were successfully removed, and if there were any errors (such as a file being present that should have been deleted but wasn't for some reason such as permissions or being locked/in use etc.) those can be included in the output/log as well so that you may investigate and remove any remaining files manually, in Safe Mode, or offline if necessary.

I hope this helps, and if there is anything else we might assist you with please let us know.

Thanks