Arsenal123

False postive for game on steam

so i just got this and i think its a false postive i'm 99% certain it was triggere by the game trying to update itself i noticed the game updating itself  the game updating just after i got this message  

false postive.png

7 minutes ago, miekiemoes said:

Hi,

Can you unquarantine the file, then reboot, then zip and attach the file please?

Thanks!

i assume there is no dnager of unquarentining the file?

Just now, miekiemoes said:

No there isn't, as it seems to be a false positive :)

ok whats the process for zipping then attaching it after rebooting? not sure how to do it

Maybe, to make it easier for you, browse to the D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2019 folder
Locate the file fm.exe in there and upload it to here: https://virustotalcloud.appspot.com/nui/index.html#/home/upload (you can use drag and drop)

Then it performs a scan there and when finished, copy and paste the url in your next response

1 hour ago, miekiemoes said:

Maybe, to make it easier for you, browse to the D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2019 folder
Locate the file fm.exe in there and upload it to here: https://virustotalcloud.appspot.com/nui/index.html#/home/upload (you can use drag and drop)

Then it performs a scan there and when finished, copy and paste the url in your next response

file is too large (the location is what launches the game)

Hmm, if the file is too big for Virustotal already, then it will also be too big to attach here.

Let's try a different method and upload it via here: https://www.transfernow.net/en/

Once you drag and drop the fm.exe there, you *should* have an option to generate a custom link afterwards where to download it.

Copy and paste that link in your next reply.

24 minutes ago, miekiemoes said:

Hmm, if the file is too big for Virustotal already, then it will also be too big to attach here.

Let's try a different method and upload it via here: https://www.transfernow.net/en/

Once you drag and drop the fm.exe there, you *should* have an option to generate a custom link afterwards where to download it.

Copy and paste that link in your next reply.

ahh it doesn't allow an exe extention

I tried mediafire as an alternative http://www.mediafire.com/file/gc8tzrp12rs366u/fm.exe/file

Thanks.

Verified as a false positive indeed and should be fixed now.

I however suggest you add an exclusion for this file too in Malwarebytes.

In order to do this, 

* open Malwarebytes > Settings > Exclusions tab

* Below, click the button: "Add Exclusion"

* Then, select "Exclude a File or Folder" (this should be prechecked already by default)

* Click Next

* You'll see a field that says: "Specify a File or Folder" - there, click the button "Select Files..." and browse to the file you want to exclude. (in your case 

D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2019\fm.exe)

* For "How to Exclude", select: "Exclude from detection as malware, ransomware or potentially unwanted item" (this is normally also selected by default already)

* Then click the OK button below.

8 minutes ago, miekiemoes said:

Thanks.

Verified as a false positive indeed and should be fixed now.

I however suggest you add an exclusion for this file too in Malwarebytes.

In order to do this, 

* open Malwarebytes > Settings > Exclusions tab

* Below, click the button: "Add Exclusion"

* Then, select "Exclude a File or Folder" (this should be prechecked already by default)

* Click Next

* You'll see a field that says: "Specify a File or Folder" - there, click the button "Select Files..." and browse to the file you want to exclude. (in your case 

D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2019\fm.exe)

* For "How to Exclude", select: "Exclude from detection as malware, ransomware or potentially unwanted item" (this is normally also selected by default already)

* Then click the OK button below.

great thanks should i delete it from quanentine the same file path is there so i don't think it will cause any problems with the game by doing this and restoring it might cause two of them

mabm 2.jpg

mbam 1.jpg

Hi,

If you have unquarantined/restored it before and rebooted, it shouldn't display there anymore. 

Once you've set the exclusion, it should then show under settings > exclusions. Even though if it is still listed under quarantine, it shouldn't cause any problems.