BrooksNYC

Windows Defender / Malwarebytes compatibility

Hi. I'm running Windows 10 Pro x64 (v. 1903, build 18362.356), and Malwarebytes Premium (v. 3.8.3).

Until the latest Windows 10 Update, I was able to run Malwarebytes and Windows Defender simultaneously and without conflict. Since the update, I'm no longer able to update Windows Defender's virus definitions.

Malwarebytes, on the other hand, is humming along fine. In fact, when I open the Windows Security Center, it appears as if Windows has made Malwarebytes king o' the security heap.

What's the latest? Can Windows Defender and Malwarebytes coexist peacefully? If not — and if Malwarebytes is capable of handling all  the antivirus chores — I'll gladly disable Windows Defender.

Appreciate your help, and thanks.

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column

mbst_get_started.jpg

7. Click the Gather Logs button

mbst_advanced_gather_logs.jpg

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

mbst_getting_logs.jpg

9. Upon completion, a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be found on your Desktop. Click OK

mbst_log_saved_desktop.jpg

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

While Malwarebytes alone should be sufficient even without a secondary antivirus, the two should be fully compatible.  I suspect that Windows disabled Defender because it saw that another AV/AM app had been installed and had registered as virus protection with Security Center/Action Center.  You should be able to change a setting in Malwarebytes to get Defender to activate itself again.  Just open Malwarebytes and go to Settings>Application and under the section for Windows Action Center, configure Malwarebytes to never register with the Windows Action Center, then restart your system and you should then have both Malwarebytes and Windows Defender fully functional.  You can find more details on this setting in this support article.

I hope this helps, and if there is anything else we might assist you with please let us know.

Thanks

Hello--

I'm having a similar issue as the OP, but I'm not sure if it's the *same* issue.  OP--is the following the issue you are having?

The issue I am having with Windows Defender while Malwarebytes is installed is that when I have "Periodic Scanning" set to on in Windows Defender, it turns itself off after some time.  I'm not sure the cause of this.  The "Periodic Scanning" option in Windows Defender is available only when another anti-virus is installed, so I wouldn't think changing the option in Malwarebytes that exile360 alluded to would be the fix.  But I don't know.

Windows and Windows Defender determine whether or not another AV is installed based on what is shown in the Action Center/Security Center so changing the setting in Malwarebytes to have Malwarebytes unregister itself from the Windows Security Center/Action Center should alleviate the issue and cause Windows Defender to become fully active again.  The only downside is that Action Center will no longer monitor the status of Malwarebytes, however that shouldn't really be a problem since Malwarebytes monitors its own status and should notify you if there is ever an issue via its own UI and notifications.

Thanks so much, exile360.

I've followed your suggestion, but am not certain things have changed.

Am accustomed to updating Malwarebytes and Windows Defender manually (so as to lighten Window's startup load). I update both programs immediately after turning on the computer.

Whenever I update Windows Defender, the date of the update shows on the "Protection updates" window:

ev0Kd6i.png

Nuttin' showing today, however. This being Sunday (the 22nd), maybe there's no update? I'll try again Monday morning, and if there's still no change, I'll report back.

Again, thanks for your help.

Digger78, your issue is not the same as mine, but it sounds as if the same remedy might help us both. Good luck!

You're welcome, hopefully it is resolved but let us know if you continue to experience issues, and also be sure to reboot your system just to make sure it reloads and reads the change in settings for Security Center/Action Center (it has to read it from the registry on boot).

It may also help to disable fast startup if it is enabled, as it has been known to cause issues occasionally.  You'll find instructions on how to do so here as well as here.

22 hours ago, exile360 said:

Just open Malwarebytes and go to Settings>Application and under the section for Windows Action Center, configure Malwarebytes to never register with the Windows Action Center........ be sure to reboot your system just to make sure it reloads and reads the change in settings for Security Center/Action Center (it has to read it from the registry on boot).

Hi, exile360.

Windows Defender has successfully updated its virus definitions, so all is well. Kind thanks for leading me out of the woods.

All the best to you!

Brooks

Excellent, I'm glad that it worked.

If there is anything else we might help you with please don't hesitate to let us know.

Thanks

Appreciate the heads-up, AdvancedSetup.

This seems to be an attack on Internet Explorer, which I no longer have since moving to a new laptop and Windows 10 Pro. (My system came bundled with Edge, and Firefox is my default browser.)

But this sounds like a critical security patch, and I anyone still running Internet Explorer will see this post.

Thanks!

Brooks

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Windows 10 Pro x64,  v.1903 (Build 18362.356)

Firefox 60.9.0 ESR x64

Yes, but there was also a critical patch to Windows Defender antivirus as well. However, normal Windows Update process will typically take care of the update automatically

Cheers

Ron

Ah, thank you Ron. Missed that! Will jump on it, since I have Windows Updates on pause.

(Unrelated aside: Is there a way to edit our own posts? My last post was crappily edited, and I hate posting mistakes for posterity!)

4 minutes ago, BrooksNYC said:

(Unrelated aside: Is there a way to edit our own posts? My last post was crappily edited, and I hate posting mistakes for posterity!)

That option was removed a while back. It takes a couple hundred posts to remove that restriction.