Scardra

Service Host using 100% CPU. Malwarebytes keeps freezing.

I believe I have a virus. I've noticed through my Task Manager that my CPU is usually from 80%-100%, There were a few strange files such as DropBox Installer, Google Installer, Microsoft Office SxS, and a variety of Service Host items that were all at about 20% usage each. After uninstalling DropBox, Microsoft Office, ending the Google task (hasn't popped up yet after multiple restarts), and setting to disable/manual as many Services involved as I could, there is only one left that is keeping my CPU up: "Service Host: Task Scheduler" which cannot be turned off.

Because of all this, I ran multiple anti-malware softwares, but to no avail, most of them either find nothing or freeze in the middle of their scans. I ran Malwarebytes and it was stuck for over 48 hours so I had to kill the program. I really need some help and any solution would be appreciated before I take this pc to an official repairman.

PS: I got so desperate that I tried to reset windows, but even that got stuck. At just 1%!!!

Hello Scardra and welcome to Malwarebytes,

Run the following:

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Alternative download option: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/6731-farbar-recovery-scan-tool.html

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system (32 bit or 64 bit). If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

If your security alerts to FRST either, accept the alert or turn your security off to allow FRST to run. It is not malicious or infected in any way...

Be aware FRST must be run from an account with Administrator status...

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.(Windows 8/10 users will be prompted about Windows SmartScreen protection - click More information and Run.)
  • Make sure Addition.txt is checkmarked under "Optional scans"
    user posted image

• Press Scan button to run the tool....
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The tool will also make a log named (Addition.txt) Please attach that log to your reply.

Thank you,

Kevin.

Hello Scardra.

How is it going ?   Are you still with us ?

Ah! I apologize, forgot this was still here. You can close it. I ended up just resetting Windows. It took forever since whatever virus I had kept trying to shut down the reset so I had to keep ending it in task manager.

Hi.  Thank you for letting us know.   Allow me to relay some best practices for pc security.

First, Backup is your best friend.  Keep 2 or 3 generations of backup of this system on offline media.

It is not enough to just have a security program installed. Each pc user needs to practice daily safe computer and internet use.

Best  practices & malware prevention:
Follow best practices when browsing the Internet, especially on opening links coming from untrusted sources.
First rule of internet safety: slow down & think before you "click".

Never click links without first hovering your mouse over the link and seeing if it is going to an odd address ( one that does not fit or is odd looking or has typos).

Free games & free programs are like "candy". We do not accept them from "strangers".

Never open attachments that come with unexpected ( out of the blue ) email no matter how enticing.
Never open attachments from the email itself. Do not double click in the email. Always Save first and then scan with antivirus program.

Pay close attention when installing 3rd-party programs. It is important that you pay attention to the license agreements and installation screens when installing anything off of the Internet. If an installation screen offers you Custom or Advanced installation options, it is a good idea to select these as they will typically disclose what other 3rd party software will also be installed.
Take great care in every stage of the process and every offer screen, and make sure you know what it is you're agreeing to before you click "Next".

Use a Standard user account rather than an administrator-rights account when "surfing" the web.
See more info on Corrine's SecurityGarden Blog http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_7.html
Dont remove your current login. Just use the new Standard-user-level one for everyday use while on the internet.

Do a Windows Update.

Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373/windows-update-faq

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware.

For other added tips, read "10 easy ways to prevent malware infection"

All best wishes to you.