MarcoBytes

ADWcleaner can't find dwmapi.dll

On an XP box, I visited a site that locked chrome.
Instead of rebooting, I closed down the chrome processes.

I had run ADWcleaner back in 2015 with success

I downloaded the latest version.
After clicking run, a dialogue appeared announcing that dwmapi.dll cannot be found.

I rolled back to the previous restore ... no joy.
Looked on another XP system, and it isn't there either.

Can ADWcleaner run on XP?

If so; which dwmapi.dll version do I need?

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the AdwCleaner Help forum.

Someone will reply shortly, but in the meantime here are a few resources which may help resolve your issue:

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

Unfortunately ADWCleaner is no longer compatible with Windows XP so this is the reason you're seeing this error, as dwmapi.dll is actually a part of DWM, or the Desktop Windows Manager, which is the UI/shell renderer/API for newer versions of Windows (Vista and later; basically every version after XP ever since Microsoft originally implemented hardware graphics acceleration for the Windows shell for features like the Aero Glass theme etc. as well as to reduce the load on the main CPU by offloading rendering of the system shell (Explorer.exe) and other applications to the graphics processor (GPU/video card/graphics card).

You will find the system requirements for ADWCleaner, including the list of operating systems it is compatible with, on the bottom of this page on the main Malwarebytes.com website.

Also, while I am certain you are aware of this, it would be irresponsible of me not to advise you just in case, that continuing to run XP, especially getting on the web, is a very dangerous proposition since it is no longer supported at all by Microsoft and is no longer receiving any security updates or patches and has also been abandoned by most hardware and software vendors so that any vulnerabilities which might exist in any of the software you have installed, and even drivers, are likely to remain unpatched and vulnerable to exploits and other malicious attacks.  Of course I understand if it is simply not possible for you to upgrade to a newer version of Windows at this time, however I would strongly advise you to do so as soon as you are able for the security of your data and web browsing, and I would strongly advise against using any online services which might be sensitive such as online banking, online shopping, PayPal etc. as it is very likely to be insecure, even if using some form of security software/antivirus and a fairly modern browser.  Even signing into your email and other online sites/services poses a risk to potentially expose your passwords and information to the bad guys if there are any unpatched vulnerabilities in your software/system and you are likely much more vulnerable to malicious websites as well.

With that said, there is still a version of Malwarebytes 3 available for Windows XP, however it is a legacy version and is no longer receiving any new builds/updates, just basic detection signature updates, so there are many threats that its older engine cannot detect that newer versions of Malwarebytes on supported versions of Windows can.  You can get the last version of Malwarebytes still supported for XP and Vista here and you can learn more about legacy operating system support for Vista and XP here.

Anyway, I am sorry that I do not have better news for you, but if there is anything else we might assist you with please let us know.

Thanks

9 hours ago, MarcoBytes said:

I visited a site that locked chrome.
Instead of rebooting, I closed down the chrome processes.

Those sites are common, It is usually just a browser lock. It can be mitigated just as you did by ending the browser process. They usually use scare tactics to get you to call "Microsoft" to fix an issue that does not exist on your computer. Those sites do not "infect" the computer unless you call the phone number and allow the scammers access to your computer.

Thanks to 1PW, exile360  :)

I downloaded 6.047 ... taking a guess that this was the last XP supported version.

Ha!
She found 75 items.
Nothing in the high risk class, but I rewarded the old girl by allowing her to clean out almost all the suggestions ✌️

Thanks Porthos  :)

That was exactly what happened.
I guess the level of concern rose, when I tried to run ADWcleaner, and found that it wouldn't run.

Best wishes...

I don't know if it is compatible with your system/browser, but you can actually block tech support scam sites like the one you encountered (along with a host of other malicious sites, ads, trackers, phishing scams, clickbait links and much more) by installing Malwarebytes Browser Guard.  It is an extension available for both Chrome (and other Chromium based browsers like SRWare Iron and Vivaldi) as well as Mozilla Firefox.  You can download the version appropriate for your browser at the links below:

Chrome
Firefox