Moberly

Scan folder on my desktop

Have a folder on my desktop that is not on my HD.  How can I scan this folder?

Sorry, perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but if the folder is on your desktop then it has to be on your hard drive inside your user account. Is it actually a folder or is it an external drive of some kind that you have mounted.

Malwarebytes automatically scans your desktop folder, so it has undoubtedly already been scanned if it's actually a folder. If it's an external drive, there is currently no way to scan it.

The folder contained X-Plane, a flight simulator.  When installed, they recommend placing it in a folder on the desktop, rather than on the hard disk.  

I had some kind of malware infection that, among other things, effectively disabled safari.  When I ran Malwarebytes, it found & guaranteed some 26 items, & safari again operated normally.

When I went to “go flying,” however, the program was real slow.  The key metric here is frame rates—normal is at least 20 FPS; I used to get at least 30 before the infection, but now am only getting 8.  None of the internal settings for this program have been changed.  Hence, I’m thinking Mawarebytes successfully cleaned the fusion hard drive on the unit (iMac), but not the X-Plane folder holding the simulation program.

Hope this provides you with some useful information, as X-P operating at this level is absolutely useless!!

Michael Moberly

5 hours ago, Moberly said:

When installed, they recommend placing it in a folder on the desktop, rather than on the hard disk.

I thought you may have misread that, so I downloaded the X-Plane 11 demo to see and it simply says it

will create the folder 'X-Plane 11' inside the folder 'Users/<YourUserName>/Desktop/'. (The folder X-Plane 11 will appear on your desktop.)

But that runs counter to what most other developers recommend, especially if you are running a recent version of macOS where any application that is run from somewhere other than the Applications folder is sandboxed, which will somewhat slow it down and also restrict it from doing certain suspect behaviors. And I did read the KB note about Moving X-Plane Out of the Mac Applications Folder.

In any case, as I said before, both the Applications folder and your Desktop are on your Fusion Drives and Malwarebytes will scan both no matter which part of your Fusion Drive they are located on, so it's almost certain that malware is not what is causing slow frame rates.

You haven't mentioned what version of macOS you are running nor the specific Mac it's running on. The developer indicates you will need a high end iMac or MacBook Pro for optimal performance. 

Have you followed the instructions for Setting the Rendering Options for Best Performance?

I'll just add that I have never run across any reports of X-Plane being infected by any type of malware. In fact the infection of any Mac app is extremely rare. There are instances of sites being hacked and a fake app substituted for the real thing, as well as some that are purposely monetized with adware, but I doubt that is the case here. I've also seen many instances of browsers being modified to display adware by various means, but those have all been limited to browsers.

Thank you so much for the comeback!  MUCH appreciated!!!!!!!!

I have followed “Setting Rendering Options for Best Performance.”  In fact, I was able to max out everything & still got 30+ frames, depending on where I was flying.  Flying over a densely populated area like Los Angeles reduced frame rates, but that is expected—I’m asking the computer to do a lot more work over LAX than if I’m flying over Nebraska.  

FYI: my 27” iMac has 32GB of RAM & the Radeon Pro 580 w 8192 MB, all running on High Sierra.  

I had Mal-bytes when I had X-P on my Dell gaming tower, & I could run a scan of my own design—targeting specific files / folders.  Is there a way to do this on the version we’re using now?  That seems to be what I need to do.  However....

Seems that if Mal-bytes has scanned this program, wherever it is located, & I’m still having a problem, then that would seem to say that I have a corrupted file somewhere inside that folder that is taking up far too much RAM / Video RAM.  

PITA tho it may be, perhaps the best solution, short of being able to scan just this folder / program,  would be to uninstall & reinstall.

Answer to the “can I scan just this folder / program” question would be most helpful.

Thanks, again, for your input!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael

17 hours ago, Moberly said:

my 27” iMac has 32GB of RAM & the Radeon Pro 580 w 8192 MB, all running on High Sierra

So basically the same as my setup, except I have half the RAM and run Sierra through Mojave, spending most of my recent time in the latter. About to poke my nose into Catalina.

17 hours ago, Moberly said:

can I scan just this folder / program

No, although I believe that's under consideration by the developers, but no timetable. It would actually involve a large effort and be a huge change to the architecture. From my point of view, the present approach is optimal for the Mac platform. The focus is on currently known active threats using a minimum amount of computer resources. It would be a mistake to compare Windows and Mac environments with respect to both the vulnerabilities of their OS architecture and the threats thereto. Known current and legacy malware files on a Mac almost never show up in unexpected places, so it's been found to be currently not worth the time and effort to do so. If that changes going forward, then I would expect the current approach to be appropriately supplemented. I'm personally sold on the current approach which is also being used by a couple of other recent offerings in the anti-malware business.

If it makes you more comfortable to have an anti-malware software that will scan every readable file on you entire computer, then there are plenty of alternatives available that will do that for you, some are even free. Almost none of them will conflict with Malwarebytes as long as only one of them has it's real-time / on-access feature enabled. And I'm aware of one that refuses to install unless you remove every competitor, but that's just a selfish move on their part. I personally have over a half-dozen such programs installed (mostly for testing purposes) without causing any issues.

Once again, I can’t thank you enough for your input.  It is very valuable!!!!!!!!!

At the moment, I’m thinking that the easiest rout for me to solve this problem is probably to uninstall & reinstall.  Somewhat time consuming, but less so than removing each added item, then seeing if that solves the problem.  

Thank you, again, for your help in this matter—-much, much, much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael