comdude2

Advanced Memory Protection Harming performance when using a RAM Drive

So I've recently started using my Dimm Drive program again to play a game, but with Malwarebytes new (as far as I know) Advanced memory protection, It's slowing down the rate at which a game / folder is copied to the RAM drive considerably as It's checking it for god knows what. I've added Dimm Drive as an exclusion etc but it has no effect and Malwarebytes still slows down the rate at which copying happens.

In task manager it typically looks something like, Dimm Drive using 50MB/s of disk and Malwarebytes is also using the same amount, they're bound together. The game is 12GB so it's not massive but it takes around 10-15 minutes to copy it to Dimm Drive because of how much checking malwarebytes is doing. It used to copy at full speed which considering it's a raid 0 array of SSD's is a lot faster than a maximum i have observed as around 60MB/s.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows a way to whitelist Dimm Drive or if theres a way around the protection without having to manually uncheck all of the memory protection and then having to remember to re-enable it?

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column
    0. UI.png
  7. Click the Gather Logs button
    17. Advanced.png
  8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    19. System Repair Progress.png
  9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
  10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Hi @comdude2,

Which non-default Advanced Memory Protection setting(s) have you enabled? Note that this is part of Exploit Protection and is not new.
For most systems, we do not recommend adjusting these settings and instead leave them as default.

To confirm, when you restore the settings to default (depicted below), the issue is no longer exhibited?

Please take a screenshot of your Advanced Memory Protection page.

image.png.4752bcbdc78ec42bafeb2b31c00cdc94.png

Edited by LiquidTension

Hi @LiquidTension + @AdvancedSetup, my advanced memory protection settings are the same as your screenshot (my settings), when resetting to default nothing changes, for reference, i've tried reinstalling malwarebytes and it still behaves how I described above, I'll try and get that support tool and send a log.

Here are some screenshots of what I'm on about: One Two

Hi @comdude2,

Thanks for the information.

Based on your latest post I'm not clear on what you meant by the following:

23 hours ago, comdude2 said:

I'm just wondering if anyone knows a way to whitelist Dimm Drive or if theres a way around the protection without having to manually uncheck all of the memory protection and then having to remember to re-enable it?

Which settings are you changing that results in the issue no longer occurring?

Essentially, I'm after the following:

• How do you have the Malwarebytes product configured that results in the issue?
  • How are you reverting the Malwarebytes product configuration so that the issue no longer occurs?
Edited by LiquidTension

I see what you mean @LiquidTension, I've not found a way of getting the issue to not occur, I made the assumption that if I turned off memory protection then in essence the issue would not be there as that's what's interfering with DimmDrive seeing as DimmDrive is on a list of exclusions, I can try disabling the advanced memory protection to confirm It's that that is interfering

Thanks for clarifying! Rather than starting with the advanced Exploit Protection settings, let's first confirm that it is Exploit Protection that's causing your issue.

Please do the following:

• Open Malwarebytes.
  • On the Dashboard, turn the 4 Real-Time Protection modules off.
  • Once all 4 modules are offer, verify that the issue does not occur.
  • If it doesn't, turn one of the modules on, wait ~15 seconds and then check if the issue occurs.
  • If it does, make a note of the protection module.
  • If it doesn't, repeat the process until the culprit is identified.

Please let me know the results.

Hi @comdude2,

Thank you for confirming.

We have a test build of our standalone Anti-Exploit product that we'd like to try. This is essentially an updated version of Exploit Protection in Malwarebytes.

Please do the following and let us know the results:

• Open Malwarebytes and disable Exploit Protection.
  • Note: For the duration of this test, please ensure Exploit Protection is left disabled in Malwarebytes.
  • Download the installer for the standalone Anti-Exploit: https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/hvlkhgbzltvkxwgydwufc8k0ng0t2n2k
  • Run the installer and follow the prompts.

Once the standalone Anti-Exploit is installed, please check if the issue still occurs.

Hi, unfortunately it does still slow it down considerably Screenshot but sometimes (i'd say 30% of the time) it allowed it to speed up Screenshot 2. Overall it took about 5-7 mins to complete which is an improvement over the standard exploit protection

Thanks for the information!

We'll be filing a defect for the issue.

Until we're able to provide a fix, you'll likely need to temporarily disable Exploit Protection (either in the standalone version if you keep it installed or the main Malwarebytes product if you uninstall the standalone).

To temporarily disable the standalone: Open the program using the icon in your system tray/notification area and click Stop Protection.