spectrumfox

Periodic Freezing of computer

It seems either the new component or update package for MWB 3.8.3 is causing my entire Windows 10 computer to lag very badly.

There are constant delays of 3-5 seconds while trying to browse, type, or click anywhere in Windows 10. Additionally, Malwarebytes Service is constantly taking up 10-20% CPU and anywhere from 8.0 MB/s to 10 MB/s disk usage at all times, even though the app is not running any scans or doing anything at all.

Uninstalling Malwarebytes fixes the problem, but shortly after reinstalling MWB 3.8.3, the issue starts to occur again.

This only started to occur recently, so it might have something to do with Component package version 1.0.625 or Update package version 1.0.12389.

2019-09-09 18_09_20-Window.png

2019-09-09 18_08_31-Window.png

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column
    0. UI.png
  7. Click the Gather Logs button
    17. Advanced.png
  8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    19. System Repair Progress.png
  9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
  10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

2 hours ago, spectrumfox said:

There are constant delays of 3-5 seconds while trying to browse, type

How does it run WITHOUT all those tabs open in Chrome? When was your last restart?

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

How does it run WITHOUT all those tabs open in Chrome? When was your last restart?

Malwarebytes does this even with Chrome closed.

I've been restarting constantly to troubleshoot this issue.

@spectrumfox Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 18363.329 was/is a buggy pre release cumulative update that should have been skipped. It was optional and is a "preview" for the next patch Tuesday update.

It "could" be your contributing to your issue.

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

@spectrumfox Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 18363.329 was/is a buggy pre release cumulative update that should have been skipped. It was optional and is a "preview" for the next patch Tuesday update.

It "could" be your contributing to your issue.

I suppose that's possible, as I am currently in the Release Preview ring.

I will check to see if this is still an issue after 1909 is officially released.

The issue is still happening. I'm now running Windows 10 1909 18363.356 and am encountering the same behavior with Malwarebytes.

If I quit Malwarebytes and re-open it, it temporarily resolves the issue, but then a few hours later it randomly comes back when my computer is sitting idle.

Malwarebytes version: 3.8.3.2965
Component package version: 1.0.625
Update package version: 1.0.12491

Experiencing the same problem myself. I've even tried using the "Clean" function in the Support Tool, rebooting, and then reinstalling it.

It doesn't make a difference. There's something wrong with MB3.

Does disabling any particular component of protection help?  What about self-protection detailed above; does disabling that help the problem?

Hi @spectrumfox,

Thanks for the report.

• How often does this issue occur? Is it every Windows session?
  • When the issue occurs, is the entire system frozen? Is mouse/keyboard input still possible? Or is the freezing limited to particular programs?
  • Does the system eventually recover or is it frozen indefinitely?
  • When did this first start occurring? Were any significant changes made to the computer around this time?
  • Is this consistently reproducible?

Please try narrowing down the protection module responsible. Start with Self-Protection.

• Open Malwarebytes.
  • Ensure all of the Real-Time Protection modules on the Dashboard are enabled.
  • Click Settings -> Protection -> Scroll down to Startup Options.
  • Turn the, "Enable self-protection module" off.
  • Check if this has any impact or not.

If disabling Self-Protection does not have any impact, try the Real-Time Protection modules.

• Open Malwarebytes and turn all 4 Real-Time Protection modules off.
  • Verify the issue does not occur.
  • Enable one of the protection modules and check if the issue occurs.
  • Repeat until the culprit has been identified.

Please let us know how you get on.

Edited by LiquidTension

I've had the Ransomware Protection turned off for the last few days, and that seems to have done the trick. Will periodically turn it back on to see if the problem has gone away.

Thanks for the information. Most of the reports coming in involve Ransomware Protection. We're aware of various performance-related issues with Ransomware Protection in the latest update and will have further information available on this shortly.

In the meantime, you may need to keep Ransomware Protection temporarily disabled.

I can confirm that we have been having the same issues in our environment. We are also running Windows 10, ver. 1809. Users are seeing the gap in time between typing and the letters appearing 3 - 5 seconds later. Constant 10 - 20% CPU usage and occasional freezes that require a reboot after Event ID 7034 "The MBAMService service terminated unexpectedly".

Uninstalling MWBytes solves the problem but the problem returns with re installation. I have disabled Ransomware protection in our environment for now.

I have just found this is my problem too.  Having very slow data transfers between drives.  Bursty transfers that drop to almost zero then speed up but not by much.  Had a look in Task Manager and saw Malware Bytes was the top CPU and Disk user.  Disabled the 4 protection options and speed resumed to normal approxx 150MB/s.  While waiting for transfer also noticed that keyboard input would lag by 3 - 5 secs as others have said.

I will disable the Ransomware slider only and see what happens.

Hi all,

For those affected by the Ransomware Protection component, could you install the latest component update and let us know if this addresses the issue please.

To install the update:

• Open Malwarebytes.
  • Click Settings.
  • Click Install Application Updates.

After the update, you should find Component Package version 1.0.627 is installed. You can confirm by viewing the About page within the Settings.

Please let us know how you get on.

If your issue is not caused by Ransomware Protection, please start a new forum topic.

Just installed comp. package version 1.0.627.  HDD -> HDD Copy speeds that were an issue are good now.  Will report back if there are any other lag issues.

Installed the update this afternoon, and turned Ransomware Protection back on. So far so good!