Jump to content
riahc3

Feature Suggestion - CPU Limiter for scans

Recommended Posts

Hello

Right now there is a option to control impact of a scan:

 

https://www.malwarebytes.com/support/guides/mb/Settings.html?lang=en#impact

 

But I think it would be even better if we are allowed to tweak it even further. Ill set a crude example:

 

CPU Limit of Scan:

No limit = Scan can use up to 100% of CPU (default)

Low limit = Scan can use up to 75% of CPU

Medium limit = Scan can use up to 50% of CPU

High Limit = Scan can use up to 25% of CPU

Other processes take preferences = The scan can use up to 100% of CPU but lets say if Prime95 is ran, Malwarebytes automatically lowers its CPU usage accordingly and lets Prime95 take over

Custom = The user can set that a scan can only take up x percentage of CPU

 

Could this be implemented?

 

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greetings,

I'm not certain if such granular process control is possible or not, and if it is, it may depend heavily on the type of CPU and its capabilities as well as the capabilities/available APIs of the operating system where Malwarebytes is being run.  That said, even if it is possible I am not certain that adding such detailed control would not simply increase confusion for most users on what to select and how to use the feature vs a simple toggle/switch to enable/disable high priority mode as it is now, though for some advanced/power users it could obviously have some benefit.

I will pass your feedback on to the Product Team for review and consideration and if they determine that it can and should be done then it will likely be implemented at some point in a future release, however that of course depends on whether or not it is possible and if they determine that this would be a wise feature to implement and a good use of the Developers' time and efforts.

If you have any further suggestions, ideas or feedback please don't hesitate to post again.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, exile360 said:

Greetings,

I'm not certain if such granular process control is possible or not, and if it is, it may depend heavily on the type of CPU and its capabilities as well as the capabilities/available APIs of the operating system where Malwarebytes is being run.  That said, even if it is possible I am not certain that adding such detailed control would not simply increase confusion for most users on what to select and how to use the feature vs a simple toggle/switch to enable/disable high priority mode as it is now, though for some advanced/power users it could obviously have some benefit.

I will pass your feedback on to the Product Team for review and consideration and if they determine that it can and should be done then it will likely be implemented at some point in a future release, however that of course depends on whether or not it is possible and if they determine that this would be a wise feature to implement and a good use of the Developers' time and efforts.

If you have any further suggestions, ideas or feedback please don't hesitate to post again.

Thanks

This obviously is a advance feature for power users and should be noted as such. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any further thoughts on this? It really shoots up the CPU usage on the file server and we get alerts....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello @riahc3:

1 hour ago, riahc3 said:

It really shoots up the CPU usage on the file server and we get alerts....

The above detail was not apparent in the original post.  Malwarebytes 3 for Windows is primarily a home/consumer product and is not intended for installation/use on any Windows Server.

Reference: https://www.malwarebytes.com/premium/#tech-specs -> Tech specs -> Software requirements

You should actually contact Malwarebytes sales and examine the Malwarebytes Endpoint Security for business/enterprise products for the proper support you require.

HTH

Edited by 1PW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2019 at 12:35 PM, 1PW said:

Hello @riahc3:

The above detail was not apparent in the original post.  Malwarebytes 3 for Windows is primarily a home/consumer product and is not intended for installation/use on any Windows Server.

Reference: https://www.malwarebytes.com/premium/#tech-specs -> Tech specs -> Software requirements

You should actually contact Malwarebytes sales and examine the Malwarebytes Endpoint Security for business/enterprise products for the proper support you require.

HTH

A Windows 10 computer can be a home file server. There is nothing wrong with that. I never said I was using a server OS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.