Phuc

Malwarebytes Premium or Windows Defender

Hi, should I use only Malwarebytes, or should I combine Malwarebytes and Defender? Thanks.

image.thumb.png.1342bd578fc048769a13cb305ae9c560.png

Hi @Phuc,

It's ultimately personal preference and what you feel comfortable with.

With Malwarebytes version 4, we do not feel running Windows Defender in conjunction is necessary due to the enhancements we made to malware detection. However, if you do wish to run Windows Defender as well, you can certainly do so (using the Settings -> Security -> Windows Security Center option) and should not encounter any issues.

Regarding the Windows Security Centre option in Settings, am I correct in assuming if its set to always register then Defender leaves real time security to MB?

I have the setting off hoping that both defender and MB check my system independently. In the past this has proven beneficial as Defender has found trojans and alerted me before MB. I will see how this setup works with beta4.

That's correct. Using the "Always register" setting will ultimately result in Windows Defender being disabled.
You can still utilise the periodic scanning feature in Windows Defender, but it will not provide any form of real-time protection.

image.png.dd268ac4fb55023971f44bd640d3f311.png

58 minutes ago, BillH99999 said:

Does turning on "Always Register"  also disable Norton Security real-time protection?

No, it shouldn't have any impact on any third party software/AVs, only the built in Windows Defender because Microsoft made their AV to work this way.