lgkahn

Musing about new intereface

Not intuitive that I had to goto settings to check if the definiations were up to date.

Like the interface generally and it  is faster, but liked that the update/up to date and check definitions options where on the home page in the old interface.

I'm just wondering about the use case here.  I hear you guys with regards to wanting the ability to check for updates in the homepage/dashboard of the main UI, but I'm wondering why?  Not that it is necessarily a bad idea (it's fairly standard practice throughout the industry so I see nothing wrong with it), but just that the way that Malwarebytes works, it generally becomes unnecessary and/or excessive in most scenarios, at least in my opinion.  I say this for two reasons.  First, any time any kind of scan is initiated, be it a scheduled/automated scan or a manual scan launched by the user of any kind (including a right-click context menu scan of a file or folder using the Windows Explorer shell extension 'Scan with Malwarebytes' function) Malwarebytes always checks for database/signature updates and downloads them first to ensure that it is using the most up to date definitions for any scan that is run.  Second, at least by default, the protection keeps signatures up to date automatically by checking for updates every hour and this interval can be changed in settings to have it check for updates even more frequently if desired (currently allowing for a frequency as often as every 15 minutes).  So I guess my question is, what is the use case for having a manual update function and what purpose would it serve in light of the fact that A) a scan is always preceded by a check for updates, and B) by default, updates are checked for and downloaded automatically at least once every hour (and up to 4 times every hour depending on how the user configures it in settings)?

Again, I'm not necessarily against the idea, however I am having trouble determining the need for it I guess and I think it might help a lot in understanding the need that you're trying to meet in requesting this feature.  That said, they probably will allow for such a function in the final UI, especially if many users request it, but I am certain that it would help inform if and how they implement such a feature if the use case/need for this was explained.

Edited by exile360

Thanks exile, a very thorough explanation. I was unaware that an update would be automatically carried out on running a scan.  My concern was if the PC had been asleep for a few days, and the next scheduled scan was still hours away, then I would normally undertake a manual scan in the interim. If that updates definitions etc then I would be happy with that. 

5 hours ago, exile360 said:

I'm just wondering about the use case here.  I hear you guys with regards to wanting the ability to check for updates in the homepage/dashboard of the main UI, but I'm wondering why?  Not that it is necessarily a bad idea (it's fairly standard practice throughout the industry so I see nothing wrong with it), but just that the way that Malwarebytes works, it generally becomes unnecessary and/or excessive in most scenarios, at least in my opinion.  I say this for two reasons.  First, any time any kind of scan is initiated, be it a scheduled/automated scan or a manual scan launched by the user of any kind (including a right-click context menu scan of a file or folder using the Windows Explorer shell extension 'Scan with Malwarebytes' function) Malwarebytes always checks for database/signature updates and downloads them first to ensure that it is using the most up to date definitions for any scan that is run.  Second, at least by default, the protection keeps signatures up to date automatically by checking for updates every hour and this interval can be changed in settings to have it check for updates even more frequently if desired (currently allowing for a frequency as often as every 15 minutes).  So I guess my question is, what is the use case for having a manual update function and what purpose would it serve in light of the fact that A) a scan is always preceded by a check for updates, and B) by default, updates are checked for and downloaded automatically at least once every hour (and up to 4 times every hour depending on how the user configures it in settings)?

Again, I'm not necessarily against the idea, however I am having trouble determining the need for it I guess and I think it might help a lot in understanding the need that you're trying to meet in requesting this feature.  That said, they probably will allow for such a function in the final UI, especially if many users request it, but I am certain that it would help inform if and how they implement such a feature if the use case/need for this was explained.

I agree with you, and had the same opinion. The app auto-updates, so the only ask I would have is something on the home screen that gives the user the "warm and fuzzies" by providing the time/date of the last update performed.

4 hours ago, Hotpants said:

Thanks exile, a very thorough explanation. I was unaware that an update would be automatically carried out on running a scan.  My concern was if the PC had been asleep for a few days, and the next scheduled scan was still hours away, then I would normally undertake a manual scan in the interim. If that updates definitions etc then I would be happy with that. 

Yes, it always updates before every scan, whether it is a manual or scheduled scan (assuming it can connect to the internet to download them of course, but that goes for any update checks obviously).

1 hour ago, tepitts said:

I agree with you, and had the same opinion. The app auto-updates, so the only ask I would have is something on the home screen that gives the user the "warm and fuzzies" by providing the time/date of the last update performed.

Yes, agreed.  No matter what functionality is or isn't added with regards to updating, I would really like to see basic information like the date/time and type of the last scan along with the date/time that signatures were last installed/updated (I don't really care so much about the last time it 'checked' for updates as much as the last time it actually downloaded and installed them because this information is much more meaningful and useful to me as it gives me a sense of the relative age of the actual signatures themselves because an update check can fail and it is possible that the last time it checked for updates that there were no new signatures/definitions to download and I care about what signatures are installed more so than the background activities of the application and I suspect most users feel the same).

Regarding displaying Last Scan and Last [Signature] update/download:

While sympathetic to users' wish to display this information on the Dashboard/Main Screen exile360 reasonably asks us to make a case [to MWB developers] for including this information.

Although I was aware that MWB always checks for updates before any scan and also regularly [default = every 60 minutes] I still asked that they be included on the Dashboard.  Now I'll try to make the case why.

In a way the MWB Dashboard is similar to the dashboard in your automobile. If well-designed it provides important information about the current status of the application [or automobile] and it does so with a minimum of confusion and/or clutter.

I'll use elements of the version 3.x [Premium] Dashboard to illustrate this point and lead directly to making a case for last scan and last update inclusion.

Parenthetically, I need to add [for the version 4.x UI enthusiasts] that I am not subtly arguing for retaining the version 3.x UI, just using the more widely known 3.x UI elements to make my point.

Opening MWB to the Dashboard your attention is first drawn by its central position and relative size to the [hopefully!] encircled green check-mark. Even if the accompanying text were in Klingon most users would know by the color and the check-mark symbol that 'Everything's OK'. You are free to move on to the real reason for firing up your computer, developing that great spreadsheet or composing an email to Aunt Mary. Remember, most people use MWB as a security tool to set and forget until needed and not as their primary computing focus. Just as most of the time people use an automobile as a means of transportation for more important goals, such as getting to work or a doctor's appointment. They're not interested in spending ten to twenty minutes viewing various dashboard displays.

In the same vein the four green 'on' symbols for the Real Time Protection elements tell you they're up and running. No red dot on the upper right corner Notification symbol says 'move on, nothing new here to see'.

To reiterate these display elements quickly and clearly provide current information about the overall operating status of MWB and MWB functions/processes. They convey everything is OK or that the user needs to address certain problems.These current status reports are important enough to display on the Dashboard/Home screen rather than tuck away on other tabs or bury in Settings tabs.

The case for including Last Scan and Last Update here is that they also provide important enough information that completes the Dashboard screen's purpose of displaying current status information.

I agree with exile360's suggestion that the Last Scan include scan type, date and time. In addition to [Premium's] Real Time Protection, various scans are another extremely important MWB operation. Listing last scan information here allows the user to quickly verify whether their scheduled scans are executing properly and whether they have remembered to run their manual scans as planned.

Again, taking a cue from exile360 I think Last Update should list the date and time of the last successful signature download/update not the last attempt to download. The value of listing date/time information is that it gives the user a specific reference point in time. The user can quickly verify that their update settings and the update process itself are working properly. It also will give some users a specific reference point when reading in a forum that item X has been white-listed in the most recent update. Might save some aggravation and unnecessary forum posts.

Including an option to manually check for updates would continue the options from v3.x dashboard and tray icon right click. It would allow users to insure they have latest updates before, for example, filing a false positive issue that has already been remedied in the latest update. It would also give users a chance to include the date/time of their MWB last update [if relevant] when posting about certain issues on the forum.

In summary, Last Scan and Last Update provide information about important functions of MWB and should be included on the Dashboard.