I have just downloaded and installed Beta 4. There was some difficulty in doing this ….. First time, it appeared to have worked, but old ver 3.x was still in place. The second time, it appeared to have workd and asked for a system restart to finish installation, but again, old ver 3.x was still in place. The third time, the new Beta ver 4 was there and could be Run. I am using Windows 10 Home (64-bit OS) on an x64 Dell XPS 8700 PC.

My settings from the old version seem to have been bought across OK. I have run a Scan which has worked OK. 

The new UI looks good, and is setout clearly with good functionality.

Like the old version, it takes a long time for Malwarebytes to actually start and become visible on the screen.

Hello @NeilA and :welcome:

Congratulations on your success and thank you too for your tenacity!  It would be quite helpful to capture a MBST-Gather of the first two failed upgrades before that valuable info is lost:

Please follow only steps 1 thru 8 in the Upload Malwarebytes Support Tool logs manually procedure.  Then, please attach the mbst-grab-results.zip archive file in your next reply to this topic for analysis by staff/Devs.

Thank you.

cc: @LiquidTension @nikhils

Edited by 1PW

Hi NeilA,

Thanks for the report. Please could you provide the following files as well:

• C:\Users\Neil\AppData\Local\Temp\mbsetup.log
  • C:\Windows\temp\mbamiservice.log

Thank you!

Thanks @NeilA!

Am I correct in saying that when you rebooted the machine (after you were able to open Malwarebytes and run a scan), the program will now no longer open?

Prior to the first Malwarebytes version 4 installation attempt, are there any details you can provide on your previous Malwarebytes version 3 installation? For example:

• Was Self-Protection enabled?
  • How long had version 3 been installed? Did you have any issues with installing version 3?
  • When you ran the Malwarebytes version 4 installer, was version 3 running at the time?

Please could you provide us with the following:

uViWDv6.png Export Event Logs

• Press the Windows Key + R on your keyboard at the same time. Type eventvwr.msc and click OK.
  • Expand Windows Logs.
  • Right-click Application and click Save All Events As.... Name the file application and click OK.
  • Repeat for Security and System.
  • Expand Applications and Services Logs in the panel on the left.
  • Expand Microsoft followed by Windows. Scroll down the list and expand CodeIntegrity.
  • Right-click Operational and click Save All Events As.... Name the file CodeIntegrity and click OK.
  • Navigate to the location of the files. Highlight the four files, right-click one and click Send to followed by Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • Name the Zip file EventLogs.zip and attach the file in your next reply.

Hi @LiquidTension

Trying to answer some of the questions...….

• Was Self-Protection enabled?   PROBABLY - not 100% sure.
  • How long had version 3 been installed? Did you have any issues with installing version 3?  Installed since released - don't remember any issues.
  • When you ran the Malwarebytes version 4 installer, was version 3 running at the time? Don't think so.

Requested file is attached..

EventLogs.zip

Thanks for the file.

Does a folder named CrashDumps exist in C:\Users\Neil\AppData\Local?

What's the current state of Malwarebytes? Have you rebooted since providing the file in post #3? The logs indicate that Malwarebytes should not be functional in its current state (unless you've since tried to uninstall/reinstall with the Malwarebytes Support Tool).

Edited by LiquidTension

There is a folder named CrashDumps, however, it is empty.

Malwarebytes was working OK, BUT...….. I was making some changes relative to the interaction between Windows Defender and Malwarebytes as per the Forum on that subject, when Malwarebytes failed with error that the Service was not running. In order to get things going again, and to have protection, I have downloaded the Support Tool and run it again, downloaded Ver 3, and then have upgraded to the Beta version once more. In amongst all that, a reboot was requested, which was done.

As of now all seems to be functioning well again.

Thanks for the information. That's consistent with what we would expect based on the logs provided.

We have a defect filed for your installation issue and will be investigating it further. If you encounter any further issues with installation/uninstallation, please let us know.