Quarantine Does Not Remove All Items

Furter

Hi,  Furter.

My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.

We need to get information from this machine in order to have the proper detail to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support-1.4.0.623.exe to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

Thank you.

On 9/15/2019 at 10:56 AM, Maurice Naggar said:

Hello.  Just checking up.  How are things ?

Are you still with us ?

Hi Maurice, 

I apologize for the late response but I've followed your instructions and am attaching the ZIP file and am looking forward to your reply. Your instructions were clear and concise and greatly appreciated.

Furter

mbst-grab-results.zip

Hi.   Thanks for the report.     ( By the way, you do not need to press the Quote button when doing a reply.   This topic is just you and I )  .

First thing, for Chrome browser, set the SYNC option to off.  That will be a big help for cleanups.

Use Chrome  browser to go to https://www.google.com/settings/chrome/sync and sign into your account.
Scroll down until you see the "reset sync" button and click on the button
At the prompt click on "Ok".

[ 2 ]

while Chrome is running:
Press & hold SHIFT+CTRL+Del keys  on keyboard to get menu for clearing browsing data:

Check mark the line  "Browsing history"

Check mark the line "Download history"

Check mark the lined "Cached images and files"
and press Clear Data button  ( in blue )

[ 3 ]

In Chrome.   Do a check on search settings in Chrome.

On the address bar at the top,  Copy and paste the following   & then tap Enter-key

chrome://settings/searchEngines

Remove all listed there.       Click the 3 dots icon at far right & then select Remove from list.

If you see some other entry you do not know of,  remove that too.

Close Chrome when done.    Later on, you can set the preferred search engine of your choice.

[ 4 ]

Close all web browsers  - before -  beginning this next scan.

Let’s start by doing a new thorough scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.   The goal is to see whether there is an infection or P U P.

Let's do one new run with Malwarebytes for Windows.

Start Malwarebytes.

Click Settings. Click Protection tab & scroll down to Scan options.

On the section "Potential Threat Protection"
look down at the one "Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)" look and make sure it is set to
"Always detect PUPS ".

and

look down at the one "Potential Unwanted Modifications (PUM)" look and make sure it is set to
"Always detect PUM ".

and
scroll all the way down to the section Automatic Quarantine
On the line "Automatically quarantine detected malware" be sure it is ON

Then once all set there, click on SCAN button
Then insure Threat scan has a check mark. Then click Start scan.
Review the results list.
Then I would suggest you make sure all lines have a check mark

To that end, if you click the very top left checkbox you can force all detected lines ( if any are detected)  to be selected for removal. Be sure each line is checked.

image.png.ce3a25abc4ceb43926e0b776f6840e96.png

Then you can proceed to click on the blue button Quarantine selected.

In Malwarebytes.
Click the Reports button ( on the left )
Look for the "Scan Report" that has the most recent Date and time.

When located, click the check box for it and click on View Report.
Then click the Export button at the bottom left.
Then select Text File (*.txt)

Put in a name for that file and remember where the file is created.

Then attach that file with your next reply 

This system did have  Google Chrome browser in the past.  Matter of fact, it still does have remains of Chrome settings & preferences still.  That is what is being flagged.

This may need a custom script cleanup.

For now, disregard by # 1, # 2, # 3  from my preceding reply.  I do want you to do # 4  scan from above.   ( my last reply to you).

Thanks.

Thank you for the scan report.   MB found Adware.SearchProvide  & it was on Chrome "secure preferences".

Chrome browser is particularly pesky to clean up.   Unfortunately.

This pc does not have Chrome browser installed.   But it does have some remains of it.  What follows is a custom script cleanup to get those deleted.

This custom script is for FURTER   only.

Please Close and save any open work files before you start this next step.  It will involve a Windows Restart at the end of it.

I am sending a   custom Fix script which is going to be used by the FRSTENGLISH tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please RIGHT-click the (attached file named) FIXLIST and select SAVE AS and save it directly ( as is) to the Downloads  folder

The tool named FRSTENGLISH.exe   tool    is already on the Downloads folder.

Start the Windows Explorer and then, open the Downloads folder.

Double click FRSTENGLISH

to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

FRST_Fixl.png.c4c1c0dddcc49b11fa400590f070bd5e.png

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. Some machines take longer than others.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply

Let me know how things are after this.   I believe we can likely wrap things up.   Let me know if you need anything else.

Sincerely,

Fixlist.txt

I am very glad to have this good news.

You should delete the FIXLIST.txt   file I had you save.   You may also delete Fixlog.txt

You may delete the  file named mbst-grab-results.zip on your your Desktop

You may if you wish delete mb-support-1.4.0.623.exe

Best  practices & malware prevention:
Follow best practices when browsing the Internet, especially on opening links coming from untrusted sources.
First rule of internet safety: slow down & think before you "click".

Never click links without first hovering your mouse over the link and seeing if it is going to an odd address ( one that does not fit or is odd looking or has typos).

Free games & free programs are like "candy". We do not accept them from "strangers".

Never open attachments that come with unexpected ( out of the blue ) email no matter how enticing.
Never open attachments from the email itself. Do not double click in the email. Always Save first and then scan with antivirus program.

Pay close attention when installing 3rd-party programs. It is important that you pay attention to the license agreements and installation screens when installing anything off of the Internet. If an installation screen offers you Custom or Advanced installation options, it is a good idea to select these as they will typically disclose what other 3rd party software will also be installed.
Take great care in every stage of the process and every offer screen, and make sure you know what it is you're agreeing to before you click "Next".

Use a Standard user account rather than an administrator-rights account when "surfing" the web.
See more info on Corrine's SecurityGarden Blog http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_7.html
Dont remove your current login. Just use the new Standard-user-level one for everyday use while on the internet.

Do a Windows Update.

Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373/windows-update-faq

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware.

For other added tips, read "10 easy ways to prevent malware infection"

Very best wishes.

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks