AragainFalls

2.0.2 crashes on Chromebook

Version 2.0.2 of Browser Guard is crashing on my Chromebook. Chromebook is a Samsung Chromebook Plus (V1 version, ARM, 32-bit). 

Browser Guard crashes when I click on the icon to open the GUI. The GUI tries to display then instantly crashes. When I go into the list of installed Chrome extensions I see that Browser Guard has a red exclamation point and the message "This extension may have been corrupted". With an option to repair. Do a repair and it will crash again the next time you try to open the GUI.

Thank you for this information.  Unfortunately we do not officially support Chromebook at this time.  We hope to announce support in the future. 

That creates a bit of a conundrum. I use the same Google account on both my Windows computers and Chromebook. And log into the Chrome browser with the same Google account. Extensions I install on my Windows version of Chrome automatically get synced and installed in the Chrome browser on the Chromebook. And vice versa. Extensions that I disable on the Chromebook get automatically disabled on my Windows computers. So if I disable the Chrome Browser Guard extension on my Chromebook the Browser Guard extension will also get disabled on all of my Windows computers. A Chrome browser extension needs to work on both Windows and Chrome OS (Chromebooks). 

The previous 1.0 version of the Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension worked fine on both Windows and Chrome OS.

@AragainFalls It's on our short term roadmap.  Most Chromebook testing went very well but we need to do a thorough end to end test before formally announcing support. 

you say you don't officially support the Chromebook but have the URL https://www.malwarebytes.com/chromebook/ and on that page it states.

We recommend adding our free Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension for faster page loading and protection against risky sites, such as phishing and tech support scams.

so, which is it? Do you or don't you support? I pay money for this product and it's crashing

13 minutes ago, mightywomble said:

so, which is it? Do you or don't you support? I pay money for this product and it's crashing

This topic refers to the browser guard add-on for Chrome.  NOT Malwarebytes for ChromeBOOK.

The Browser addon is FREE you do not pay for that part. There are issues that are being worked out on linux android and chromebooks.

Might want to open a topic in this section if your having with the actual Malwarebytes for Chromebooks.. https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/131-malwarebytes-for-android-support-forum/

Edited by Porthos

Ok, I will make my observation clearer

The question is about browser guard - correct

The following post says

That browser guard is not supported on the chromebook 

I'm asking why, if that is the case, on the malwarebytes chromebook.page does it explicitly state 

We recommend adding our free Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension for faster page loading and protection against risky sites, such as phishing and tech support scams

so if you dont support browser guard on the chromebook why on the chromebook malwarebytes page do you recommend I use it. and point me to the browser guard page when i install the malware bytes product on the chromebook.?

your own marketing and product both seem to suggest that the browser guard is supported on the chromebook..

this is what I am asking NOT about malwarebytes for chromebook.

hope this clear..

I mention the payment to imply I'm not just someone moaning about a free product not working, I put my money down and paid for the product to help provide support.

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

The Browser addon is FREE you do not pay for that part. There are issues that are being worked out on linux android and chromebooks.

If you paid for browser guard you were ripped off, It is free and separate from any other Malwarebytes product. 

@mightywomble Apologies for the mention on the Chromebook page creating the confusion with Malwarebytes Browser Guard on Chromebook.  We have Chromebook support on our short term roadmap. 

As long as I don't click on the Malwarebytes icon on my Chromebook's Chrome browser the browser guard seems to be working as it definitely is blocking ads. However if I click on the icon to change settings, etc it will crash and I have to restart it. When I go to my Chrome extension setting for browser guard, the settings for ad blocking, etc  are not listed there so it does need improvement. It does work great on my Mac laptop and on my Windows PC as well. Most of my Android, Mac and Windows Google apps are synced with my Chromebook. No doubt there will be virtual OS's as well in the future. My Chromebook is becoming my go to machine more and more for the majority of my activities. A synced Chrome browser is like a portable OS if you are on another computer. Of course an Android phone reduces the need for using another computer but it can't do everything.

@GeorgeR5 We successfully completed an end to end test using Chromebook (OS v 76.0.3809.136) last week.  Are you using the latest OS?

As long as I don't click on the Malwarebytes icon on my Chromebook's Chrome browser the browser guard seems to be working as it definitely is blocking ads. However if I click on the icon to change settings, etc it will crash and I have to restart it. When I go to my Chrome extension setting for browser guard, the settings for ad blocking, etc  are not listed there so it does need improvement. It does work great on my Mac laptop and on my Windows PC as well. Most of my Android, Mac and Windows Google apps are synced with my Chromebook. No doubt there will be virtual OS's as well in the future. My Chromebook is becoming my go to machine more and more for the majority of my activities. A synced Chrome browser is like a portable OS if you are on another computer. Of course an Android phone reduces the need for using another computer but it can't do everything.

9 minutes ago, gatortail said:

@GeorgeR5 We successfully completed an end to end test using Chromebook (OS v 76.0.3809.136) last week.  Are you using the latest OS?

I am on Version 77 the next higher version. The same behavior of needing to restart continues with the lates version of the extension on my Asus 302c Chromebook. I deleted and reinstalled the extension and that did not work, forcing me to enter the extension settings and "repair" the extension. I also restarted my Chromebook with the same result. It may be that my Chromebook hardware in not compatible with the update fix. I have had issues in the past with Google updates disabling my headphone jack and finding out it was a known issue with an earlier Chrome OS update. It was a "high priority" issue and was fixed with the next Chrome OS update. Android apps may work on one Chromebook but not on another as well until the vendor updates the Android app. These things can happen most notably with Window's vast array of hardware but also more rarely with Mac or Chromebooks. If I had to guess, I would not assume that this is my problem but mine is still not working properly. Could you tell me what hardware you used or if it was more than one Chromebook?

Hi GeorgeR5,

Our end to end tests were on our most recent extension version, which will be released later this month.

We have tested with both low-end and mid-range devices running Chrome OS Version 76.0.3809.136 and 77.0.3865.105, after the next release if you have more problems you can let us know again

5 hours ago, ncar said:

Hi GeorgeR5,

Our end to end tests were on our most recent extension version, which will be released later this month.

We have tested with both low-end and mid-range devices running Chrome OS Version 76.0.3809.136 and 77.0.3865.105, after the next release if you have more problems you can let us know again

Thanks for the clarification. I'm looking forward to the new version. In addition to protecting against malware it's also a great ad blocker without having to feel guilty about blocking legit ads.

On 9/13/2019 at 12:41 AM, AragainFalls said:

That creates a bit of a conundrum. I use the same Google account on both my Windows computers and Chromebook. And log into the Chrome browser with the same Google account. Extensions I install on my Windows version of Chrome automatically get synced and installed in the Chrome browser on the Chromebook. And vice versa. Extensions that I disable on the Chromebook get automatically disabled on my Windows computers. So if I disable the Chrome Browser Guard extension on my Chromebook the Browser Guard extension will also get disabled on all of my Windows computers. A Chrome browser extension needs to work on both Windows and Chrome OS (Chromebooks). 

The previous 1.0 version of the Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension worked fine on both Windows and Chrome OS.

All you need to do is customise what Google Chrome syncs. It's that easy. Uncheck extensions. 

Annotation 2019-10-02 152833.jpg

v2.1.0 was just released, please let us know if you still have problems with Chromebooks using this and the latest OS.

1 hour ago, gatortail said:

v2.1.0 was just released, please let us know if you still have problems with Chromebooks using this and the latest OS.

I hope there is another release i the pipeline as v2.1.0 exhibits the same behavior as before, click on the Malwarebytes icon and you must repair the extension. Other than not being able to change the settings, the extension seems to be working as ads are definitely blocked. Please note that this response is from GeorgeR5.

Okay so when will the Malwarebytes Extension/Chromebook conflict be fixed/resolved?

Unfortunately if they cannot replicate the issue it is difficult to track down the cause to fix it, but hopefully they will either succeed in replicating it on their own test systems or they will gather the right information from affected systems for the Developers to determine what the cause is and get it fixed.  Until one of those events occurs though, there is no way to know when or even if the issue will be fixed.

43 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Unfortunately if they cannot replicate the issue it is difficult to track down the cause to fix it, but hopefully they will either succeed in replicating it on their own test systems or they will gather the right information from affected systems for the Developers to determine what the cause is and get it fixed.  Until one of those events occurs though, there is no way to know when or even if the issue will be fixed.

I went back and looked at the chronology of this issue. I was late to the "table" by a couple of weeks and believe I did not realize that the latest version was out already. This would not be the first time that app compatibility was not universal with various Chromebook hardware. Usually the software vendors correct the problem if they have adequate resources and/or charge for their service. A smaller vendor may not have the resources to quickly solve incompatibilities. I have personal experience with Android apps in particular needing refinement for certain Chromebook models. It appears this may be one of those issues where my fairly popular Asus 302c is not compatible for whatever reason.

You may be correct.  If so, hopefully they will be able to determine a fix soon.

3 hours ago, exile360 said:

Like as if it is really that difficult to replicate the issue. All you have to do is get a Samsung Chromebook then open the Chrome Browser download the extension go to a website and start trying to use it. It will crash within five to ten minutes. Maybe less than that. Then it will prompt you to repair the extension. You attempt to repair the extension upon which it re-installs malewarebytes where the process of crashing repeats itself. 

Or an HPCromeboox X2, asus flip, it's more than 1 chromebook running 76 or 77 (or dev78, however that's not production yet) I can reliably replicate this across 5 different chromebook devices. This is not surprising as the core is is pretty stock on these devices by design. Could the test process be outlined? What hardware are you unable replicate this on? If you power wash the chromebook does the issue not replicate?