No internet connection when using Malewarebytes

Good evening,

I have be having trouble lately connecting and using the internet. Sometime it works (sometime for a certain period), other times it doesn't connect, it also sometimes say it's connected but it can't load anything. I decided to get Malwarebytes and run it. It detected some files how ever it didn't fix the problem. I've looked at many videos and done a lot, but none have fully fixed my issue.

I attached my summary log here. 

Any help will really be appreciated.

-Thank you

Summary.txt

Hi,  :welcome:

My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.

From what you wrote, the issue with the internet & network connection was there before you got the Malwarebytes program.

That is to say, the issue pre-dated getting the Malwarebytes program.

If this system is a laptop or notebook, lets have you connect with a ethernet cord directly to the internet router box.   That is to say, instead of relying on WIFI.

There should be a way for you to look closer on your Windows network connection status.

I do not know the Brand / make of your machine.   But you should use this following article at HP support about networking / internet connections.

Look at steps 1, 2, 3  of the article

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01895568

Go thru the article from top down.  Take your time.

See if you can get so that this kind of screen is visible  and if it shows what your network status is.

image.png.db17be3799589c1678a4694ccb4f68bf.png

Note the section titled   Step 3: Using Windows 7 diagnostic and troubleshooting tools

Hi Maurice,

Sorry for my spelling, but I have had malware bytes way before my issue. (Please forgive me for my writing). I have tried putting my my Ethernet cable in my computer and i wasn't able to connect to the internet. I think that my problem is with some malware which is doing something to my internet connection. I have seen a thread which I think relates to my issue but I don't know if it is the right thing to do.

Out of curiosity, do you have the free Malwabytes or the Premium?

I think your saying

I decided to get Malwarebytes and run it.

was confusing to me.

Second, I very much wanted to know what your Network Connection in Windows said.  Did you try the tips about the network in the article I cited before ??

See if you can run these reports.   You may perhaps use a working machine to do the downloads, and then transfer to the problem computer by using USB thumb drive and use Copy.

[ A ]

Download   Farbar's Service Scanner utility
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-service-scanner/dl/62/
and Save to your Desktop.

If using Windows 7/8 or Vista, Right-Click on fss.exe and select Run As Admisnitrator.
If using XP, double-click to start.

Answer Yes to ok when prompted.

If your firewall then puts out a prompt, again, allow it to run.

Once FSS is on-screen, be sure the following items are checkmarked:
Internet Services
Windows Firewall
System Restore
Security Center/Action Center
Windows Update
Windows Defender
Other services

Click on "Scan".
It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
Copy & Paste contents of FSS.txt into your reply.

[ B ]

Please download MiniToolBox save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following check-boxes:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using Reset FF Proxy Settings option Firefox should be closed.

[ C ]

I would like to get additional information from this machine in order to have the proper detail to help you forward.
NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support-1.4.0.623.exe to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

Thank you.

Thanks for the reports.  I am going to begin with the Farbar service scanner report, FSS

It shows the system cannot reach out to the internet.

Attempt to access Google IP returned error. Google IP is unreachable
Attempt to access Google.com returned error: Other errors
Attempt to access Yahoo.com returned error: Other errors

Allow me to add these tips, regarding the network adapter & its IP properties settings.
You can use the steps to Enable Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)  &  Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4 )
You want to be sure that both are enabled.
See the Option TWO in this article
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/90033-enable-disable-ipv6-windows.html

As far as DNS server name addresses, you can choose either to "Obtain DNS server address automatically" or else pick either Google Pubic DNS, or else
Open DNS.    see the tips & chart on this article
See https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/77444-change-ipv4-ipv6-dns-server-address-windows.html

Restart Windows after making adjustments.   Let me know for sure if this has helped to where pc can connect to the internet.

Hi Maurice, 

When doing option two in the article, I noticed that my ipv6 and 4 boxes were already checked. However, I disabled it and enable it and restarted my pc. As for DNS, I choose  "Obtain DNS server address automatically". I restarted my computer and managed to get internet for a bit, but then, I lost connection (nothing was loading).

Hello.

I need for you to state explicitely whether the machine is only using WIFI.    or, if it is connected with a direct cable to the internet connection ( router).

There seems to be no active infection here.    That is not the cause of the connection issue.

You may try this procedure.

Start NOTEPAD { you can press Windows-key+R keys to get the RUN option
and then type in

NOTEPAD.exe

and press Enter key to start NOTEPAD.

Check and make sure "word wrap" is off. 
From Notepad main menu bar, Select F (format) and make sure Word Wrap is NOT checked.
IF it -is- checkmarked, click that one time so that it is un-checked.

Please copy/paste the lines below to Notepad:

@Echo on
pushd\windows\system32\drivers\etc
attrib -h -s -r hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
attrib +r +h +s hosts
popd
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset all
netsh int ip reset resetlog.log
shutdown -r -t 1
del %0

now Save as flush.bat to your desktop.
Double-click flush.bat file to run it. Your computer will reboot.

Hello.

I would appreciate it for you to get this machine connected with a cable directly into your internet router box.  That can well help to have a working connection out to the internet.   I am assuming you have a high speed internet service that comes with a hardware router.

Please see about that.  And kindly confirm having this direct cable connection.

Then, lets do these steps here, starting with a brand new scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.

To show all files  and all folders:

• Go to your Desktop
  • Double-Click the Computer icon.
  • From the menu options, Select Tools, then Folder Options.
  • Next click the View tab.
  • Locate and uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types.
  • Locate and uncheck Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).
  • Locate and click Show hidden files and folders and drives.
  • Click Apply > OK.

[ 2 ]

Run a scan with Malwarebytes.
Start Malwarebytes from the Start menu.

Click Settings. Then click the Protection tab.
Scroll down and lets be sure the line in SCAN OPTIONs for "Scan for rootkits" is ON
Click it to get it ON

Click the SCAN button.
Select a Threat Scan ( which should be the default).

When the scan phase is done, be real sure you Review and have all detected lines items check-marked on each line on the left. That too is very critical.

Then click on Quarantine selected.

Be sure all items were removed. Then too, Repeat the scan one more time. It does not take long.

and again, be sure all detected items are removed.

Let it remove what it has detected.

When that is completed, kindly send the report.
In Malwarebytes.
Click the Reports button ( on the left )
Look for the "Scan Report" that has the most recent Date and time.

When located, click the check box for it and click on View Report.
Then click the Export button at the bottom left.
Then select Text File (*.txt)

Put in a name for that file and remember where the file is created.

Then attach that file with your reply.

[ 3 ]

Download ComboFix from here and save it to your desktop.

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe

Be real sure you SAVE it first. Save it to the DESKTOP.

Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.

Your desktop may go blank. This is normal. It will return when ComboFix is done. ComboFix may reboot your machine. This is normal.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you, C:\ComboFix.txt. Attach that log in your next reply.

NOTE: If you encounter a message "illegal operation attempted on registry key that has been marked for deletion" and no programs will run - please just reboot and that will resolve that error.

Thank you.

[ 4 ]

This next part is a report only.

Download DDS and save it to your desktop from http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/dds.com here

or http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/dds.scr or

http://www.infospyware.net/sUBs/dds

Disable any script blocker if your antivirus/antimalware has it.

Then double click dds.scr to run the tool.

DDS will run in a command prompt window and will take 3 to 4 minutes or so.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
  • DDS.txt
  • Attach.txt
  • Save both reports to your desktop.

Please Copy & Paste contents of the following logs in your next reply:
DDS.txt
Attach.txt

Hi maurice, when first clicking on combo fix, it ran smoothly than there was this pop up which i didn't read but I ended up closing it, which then closed the program. Now when I I use it, it says it is expired and has been reduced to "reduce functionality" mode. When ever I use, it deletes its self. Can you please tell me whats wrong.

Not sure when you did the download of combofix.   How many days have elapsed.

But in any event, look for  C:\ComboFix.txt

If you find it there, please attach that file with your reply.

In any event, please do run the other report I suggested before.

This next part is a report only.

Download DDS and save it to your desktop from http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/dds.com here

or http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/dds.scr or

http://www.infospyware.net/sUBs/dds

Disable any script blocker if your antivirus/antimalware has it.

Then double click dds.scr to run the tool.

DDS will run in a command prompt window and will take 3 to 4 minutes or so.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
  • DDS.txt
  • Attach.txt
  • Save both reports to your desktop.

Please Copy & Paste contents of the following logs in your next reply:
DDS.txt
Attach.txt

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Thank you for the reports.

Combofix did not find malware.   The DDS report is ok.

To-date I have not seen indications of infection.  Though what I keep suspecting is that this machine does not have the proper settings for TCP IP v4  & or TCP IP v6.

Those are key parts for the internet communication ability.

I would like to have you run a report tool known as FRST. This has no personal information. It is a well-known & widely used &safe.
FRST will help provide me with a list of installed programs and other information about your computer that will help me see if there are any other problems that are not being detected. Please follow the steps below to run FRST.

1: Please download FRST64 from the link below and save it to your desktop:

"Download link for 64-Bit Version Windows"

Please wait and look toward the top or bottom of your browser for the option to Run or Save.
Click Save to save the file and please Save to the Downloads folder   ( or else, to the Desktop )

run report with FRST64

Right-click on FRST64 icon and select Run as Administrator to start the tool , and reply YES to allow it to proceed and run.

Click YES when prompted by Windows U A C prompt to allow it to run.
Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info & followup & choose Run anyway.

Approve the Windows UAC prompt on Windows Vista and newer operating systems by clicking on Continue or Yes. 

Click Yes when the* disclaimer* appears in FRST.
The tool may want to update itself - in that case you'll be prompted when the update is completed and ready to use.

Make sure that Addition options is *checked* - the configuration should look exactly like on the screen below (do not mark additional things unless asked).
Press Scan button and wait.

The tool will produce three logfiles on your desktop: _FRST.txt_ , _Addition.txt_ 
Click OK button when it shows up. Close the Notepad windows when they show on screen. The tool saves the files.

Please attach these 2 files to your next reply.

Thank you.

Hi Maurice,

Sorry for the disappearance, I have been busy.My network adapter has broken and so my computer doesn't have any connection to the internet I can't use the Ethernet because it is too far from the computer. Will it be ok if I run Frst64 with no adapter and connection what so ever, or do I need an adapter?