Goompro

sp_data.sys keeps coming back in my Roaming folder

So I recently came across this file, named "sp_data.sys" in my Appdata/Roaming folder. I scanned my entire PC with Avast and Malwarebytes, neither of them found anything. I also uploaded the file to VirusTotal, nothing found.

I decided to delete the file. However, after restarting my PC, it just creates the same file again. I also noted that the file updates itself whenever I restart my PC, whether I deleted it or not.

Why is this file so persistent, and what is it doing on my computer? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Hello Groompro and welcome to Malwarebytes,

Why do you believe sp_data.sys is suspicious, what is make and model of your PC...?

Thank you,

Kevin..

Hi Kevin.

I believe it's kinda suspicious the file updates everytime I restart my PC. Like it's logging my pc usage.

The model is an ASUS Vivobook from 2017. It has an Intel i5 7200U, 8 GB ram and Intel HD Graphics 620.

"sp_data.sys"  belongs to the manf. of your Laptop, it is one of ASUS own drivers and perfectly harmless. If you delete that file it will return on reboot.....

I`d advise that you leave it installed. If you want further confirmation maybe go to ASUS website and check there.. https://www.asus.com/us/support/

Regards,

Kevin

Thank you for the reply! I'm relieved by that. Thank you for sorting this out with me, it means a lot.

You`re very welcome GroomPro, always happy to help.

Regards,

Kevin...;)

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks