Sue19

Mac got infected and Malwarebytes helped

I am new to this forum and I have a few silly questions after using the (trial) premium version once with Apple's guidance, to remove some malware which impacted internet connectivity for my iMac.

1. Where should I go on Malwarebytes' website to see what malware was the one causing the problem? I would like to further look into it to make sure that no other damage was done by it.

2. Do I understand correctly that the yearly charge for Apple computers is the same as for Windows computers despite the fact that for Apple computers the application provides a lot less features?

3. The Price page (for personal) shows an option to lock in the current yearly subscription price. For how long is this offer valid? Is this offer valid when the next major releases are coming out? 

Thanks.

31 minutes ago, Sue19 said:

1. Where should I go on Malwarebytes' website to see what malware was the one causing the problem? I would like to further look into it to make sure that no other damage was done by it.

Malwarebytes doesn't normally publish detailed information on such things. There might be something more in the Forum about it and for a few of the more important issues, there might be a Blog posting. If you can just tell us exactly what was found, we can tell you what we know about it or the staff might be able to research it for you. However I can say with high confidence that Malwarebytes almost certainly completely solved the issue for you. Mac Malwarebytes almost never damages components of your system or it's applications and can be completely neutralized by removing it's active components.

38 minutes ago, Sue19 said:

2. Do I understand correctly that the yearly charge for Apple computers is the same as for Windows computers despite the fact that for Apple computers the application provides a lot less features?

Yes, but Apple computers do not require all of the features provided in the Windows version, so it would be a mistake to judge it's effectiveness based on the feature list. Also, Malwarebytes has added several features over the past few months and has more planned for the future.

44 minutes ago, Sue19 said:

3. The Price page (for personal) shows an option to lock in the current yearly subscription price. For how long is this offer valid? Is this offer valid when the next major releases are coming out? 

I'm not certain that I fully understand your question as I don't see the term "lock in" anywhere on that page, but you should be able to get your answer from reading the Terms and Conditions writeup found there. Generally speaking, the price is good for the term you choose (12 or 24 months), regardless of whether there is a major release during that period. If you agree to automatic renewals, if there is a price increase, you will be notified by e-mail of such prior to that renewal taking place.

Thanks for your quick reply. Here is the additional info/clarification that I can provide:

1. I have no idea what was found. I was hoping that just like with Norton, one can go and check to see what malware was found and cleared. I ran the application and then checked connectivity after that. What was happening before is the following: while network connectivity indicated no problems (and 3 other computers on the same network in our house worked fine), my access to the internet was disabled. After restarting the Mac, I had connectivity for a few minutes, but then even that disappeared. I am not concerned about Malwarebytes having damaged something, I am concerned about what else the specific malware might have done. That's why I would like to know what malware the application identified and disabled.

3. This is what the Malwarebytes displays under pricing: "Lock-in the same great price for your next renewal by allowing your subscription to Auto-Renew. Except for Auto-Renew-based price promotions, your subscription will renew automatically at the then-current renewal price on your renewal date. You can disable the Auto-Renew Service after completing your purchase.". 

Thanks again.

1 minute ago, Sue19 said:

I am not concerned about Malwarebytes having damaged something, I am concerned about what else the specific malware might have done. That's why I would like to know what malware the application identified and disabled.

Sorry I wasn't clear, but I did not mean to indicate that Malwarebytes would have damaged anything, only that Mac malware generally does not damage your System or it's applications. It is possible that malware changed some settings which prevented Internet access, but normally you would have had to restore those settings by yourself since Malwarebytes (and other 3rd party apps) are prevented from doing so by the OS. Since you haven't indicated that you changed anything it sounds like removal was sufficient. It might be possible to extract the information needed to determine what was found using Malwarebytes troubleshooting tool, but that should not be posted here as it may contain PII information. If that's possible, a staff member will need to let you know how to proceed.

I suspect you will need to open a Customer Support Ticket to get a definitive answer to your Lock-in question, so if you don't get an answer here soon, the next step would be fill out the form at the bottom of https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/contactsupport/pages/home-support.

Thank you very much. I tried initially to go to Support but since this is a trial subscription and I don't have a certificate number, I could not get a login and I could not get anywhere.

I will then wait to see if I get an answer and if not, as suggested use the form to get the information I am looking for.

"2. Do I understand correctly that the yearly charge for Apple computers is the same as for Windows computers despite the fact that for Apple computers the application provides a lot less features?"

That is an interesting question that comes up on a regular basis.  I support the Mac version of Malwarebytes (Premium) But never the less that question floats round my mind too.

I get it that not all Windows features have to be on the Mac version & visa versa.  But from what I can see the Windows version is much more robust than the Mac version.

The answer from MB is that there are not as many threats to Mac's as Windows. True.  We are told that MB for Mac has features that Windows does not have.

App block is one that is mentioned.  But I have been unable too discover a detailed listing of "new" Mac specific features that have been added over the past few months.

What am I missing?

Thanks

13 minutes ago, PaulBostock said:

I have been unable too discover a detailed listing of "new" Mac specific features that have been added over the past few months.

Go to https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/mac and in the Common Topics column on the right click on Release History to review all the Improvements that have been added to V3.0 and later. Most aren’t necessarily Mac unique but are specific to the Mac version. There is a similar listing for earlier versions if you feel a need to review those, as well.

Edited by alvarnell

1 hour ago, alvarnell said:

Go to https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/mac and in the Common Topics column on the right click on Release History to review all the Improvements that have been added to V3.0 and later. Most aren’t necessarily Mac unique but are specific to the Mac version. There is a similar listing for earlier versions if you feel a need to review those, as well.

I went to the link that you showed before I posted my remarks. 

"Malwarebytes has added several features over the past few months and has more planned for the future."

Thats what was written in post #2 & that is what I am trying to track down.

This is what I see on the support link you posted.:

Bug fixes & improvements.

Improvements to quarantine ( an existing feature that was upgraded)

App block feature. NEW feature.

I only see one brand new App feature that has been added over the past few months..........The App block.  The rest are improvements or bug fixes.

I don't mind that only one feature has been added over the past few months............but its not several its one brand new feature.

Also In my mind "the past few months" is no more than six months & that's the time period I checked.

If I am in error then MB staff please set me right.

Thanks

The only quibble with what you outlined is that the added quarantine feature was huge, certainly qualifies as something new and was highly requested. Prior to this feature, you had to manually track down any file that was mistakenly quarantined and figure out for yourself where or how to recover it. This isn’t usually a big deal with respect to malware as False Positives are rare, but the complaints came from users wanting to continue the use of PUP software and hadn’t told Malwarebytes to ignore them.

And I will admit to considering “past few months” as being more than six. Certainly the development process to add new features will normally take more time that that. I originally wrote years, but figured that was too long, so changed it. Hard to believe that v3.0 came out over two years ago now, which was the last update that can be considered major. Time flies.

Edited by alvarnell

On reflection I would have to agree with you about the quarantine upgrade.  I have been using MB for Mac (Premium) for almost three years now so obviously I am satisfied with it.

Hopefully new features will continue to be rolled out on a regular basis.  Can anyone say Dark Mode.  Pretty Please!

Thanks

Hello @Sue19,

Greetings.

There is some adware which breaks the Internet connectivity after we detect and remove them. It is because such adware, in your case it might be Adware.OperatorMac configures proxy settings. When we remediate them it breaks the connectivity until system is restarted. A restart sets Internet Settings to default.

More information about Adware.OperatorMac can be found from https://blog.malwarebytes.com/detections/adware-operatormac/

I can check the status of system with help of our support tool and for that, provide us a system report created with the help of below article  (please don't post the zip file here)

https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-3235

Instead,  log a support ticket with help of below link and attach the file with the email

https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/contactsupport/pages/home-support

If you are having difficulty in creating ticket from our web form, simply write an email to support@malwarebytes.com

You will receive an auto-reply from us including a support ticket number, please give me the ticket number.

17 minutes ago, PaulBostock said:

Hopefully new features will continue to be rolled out on a regular basis.  Can anyone say Dark Mode.  Pretty Please!

Although I’m sure @treed will pick up on this request, I should point out that there is a formal Forum for Malwarebytes comments and suggestions at https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/166-malwarebytes-for-mac/ which should help developers get a feel for what new features need priority consideration.

Thank you, Adas. I followed your instructions and sent you the zipped file and the ticket number via email.

I can't comment on the timing of dark mode, but it is being worked on as we speak. :)

As for how to see what was detected, in the latest version of Malwarebytes for Mac, you should be able to see that in the Quarantine tab, as I believe has already been pointed out. The exact details were not available after-the-fact in older versions.

Thanks.

I am using the trial version. How can I see the Quarantine tab? I cannot login as I cannot establish an account....

" can't comment on the timing of dark mode, but it is being worked on as we speak. :)"

Many thanks for this info @treed,,,,,,,,much appreciated

6 hours ago, Sue19 said:

How can I see the Quarantine tab?

Click here:

644174160_ScreenShot2019-09-11at14_35_17.png.2062dfc82b456750f5e24a70d9f3f55b.png

6 hours ago, Sue19 said:

I cannot login as I cannot establish an account....

Where are you trying to login?

Thanks.

I am going to malwarebytes.com, which doesn't display what you captured. Where should I look?

At this address there is a "sign-in" on the menu, but for those who have an account.

What I captured is from the Malwarebytes app main window’s left-hand column. There is no need to login to Malwarebytes.com until you have purchased a premium license. That’s only needed to manage your licensing account information.

I apologize, but I don't understand. The first time ever when I used Malwarebytes was on my iMac, when it got infected. I would have assumed that anything quarantined would be on the Mac, not on the iPhone where I don't even have the app....  Obviously I don't understand how this works.

8 minutes ago, Sue19 said:

I apologize, but I don't understand. The first time ever when I used Malwarebytes was on my iMac, when it got infected. I would have assumed that anything quarantined would be on the Mac, not on the iPhone where I don't even have the app....  Obviously I don't understand how this works.

Sue,

the malwarebytes software application ON your Mac.  Open the application.  

I am not seeing where anybody mentioned anything about an iPhone here. 

Simply open up the Malwarebytes app on your iMac and make sure you have the latest version:500346032_ScreenShot2019-09-11at17_18_27.thumb.png.fcdc2afecfbdea44a3a68ab1bfdf87c8.png
If it doesn't say version: 3.9.27, then your Quarantine tab won't show the same as this:365087190_ScreenShot2019-09-11at17_21_46.thumb.png.80760180c08250d1d1caebc2c326ab28.png

Just now, alvarnell said:

I am not seeing where anybody mentioned anything about an iPhone here. 

Simply open up the Malwarebytes app on your iMac and make sure you have the latest version:500346032_ScreenShot2019-09-11at17_18_27.thumb.png.fcdc2afecfbdea44a3a68ab1bfdf87c8.png
If it doesn't say version: 3.9.27, then your Quarantine tab won't show the same as this:365087190_ScreenShot2019-09-11at17_21_46.thumb.png.80760180c08250d1d1caebc2c326ab28.png

I think the confusion is with the narrow cutoff screen shot...it kinda looks like a phone app screenshot.  I think she will understand now

Thanks. Yes, now I understand. I am used to the fact that when someone mentions an "app", that's usually on a smart phone...    I located the quarantined malware.  I appreciate everyone's help.

5 minutes ago, Sue19 said:

Thanks. Yes, now I understand. I am used to the fact that when someone mentions an "app", that's usually on a smart phone...    I located the quarantined malware.  I appreciate everyone's help.

So did you hear back from Adas about the file you sent and what do you see in quarantine.