93bmwm5

How to remove old MWB and install new

Somehow contracted Win32/Skeeyah.A!rfn this morning even with MWB installed.  This was my first failure in about 1.5 years of using MWB.  This started when I noticed MWB was taking much longer than the normal 30 minute scan after starting my updated W10 computer.  It went going 2 hours plus and was completely unresponsive so I attempted to remove it with IO Bit's Uninstaller (since MWB uninstall would not respond).  After this I did a Full Scan with Windows Defender and it picked up the Trojan which it removed.  I then attempted to reinstall MWB but after rebooting it failed the install with an error that another instance of MWB was running.  

How can I completely remove MWB so I can reinstall it?

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column
    0. UI.png
  7. Click the Gather Logs button
    17. Advanced.png
  8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    19. System Repair Progress.png
  9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
  10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Hi,    :welcome:

Please try uninstalling and reinstalling Malwarebytes for Windows using the Malwarebytes Support tool.

Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool
https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2674

Let me know if that clears up the issue or not.

Will do a little later.  I twice scanned the computer (while disconnected from Internet) using Windows Defender, downloaded latest MWB, installed and rebooted as suggested.  However after the computer boots up I get a small box saying  "Unable to start" and "Unable to connect to the Service" so I believe it is some kind of problem with a residual from the previous installation.  I have Windows Defender running again to check that the virus is not still present.  After that I will try the Support Tool you linked.

Thank you for your response!

That message box is just about Malwarebytes for Windows.  Is Windows Defender the only active antivirus ?

OR

do you have a named-brand third-party antivirus ?  If yes, we need to know which one it is.

The message does not mean that there is any issue of "infection".

Yes Windows Defender was active during the entire incident and no others.  I ran the MWB Support Clean Tool which fixed the problem and allowed a new installation of MWB. 

I've had MWB block viruses before they infected my machine but for some reason it did not catch Win32/Skeeyah.A!rfn today.  MWB just completed an initial scan with no issues.  🤣

Thank you for your help!

Hi,

MS Windows Defender & Malwarebytes for Windows have their own classifications, and different scopes when checking for malware.

Glad to know that Malwarebytes for Windows found no malware.

As to Windows Defender, you can do a special scan with it.

Windows 10 has the Microsoft Windows Defender which can run the Windows Defender Offline scan.
Windows Defender Offline in Windows 10 can be run directly from within Windows.

Click the Windows Start menu button on the Taskbar, select Settings icon. Then choose Update and Security.

In Windows Settings  >>> click on Windows Security from the left side list.

Next, In Windows Security section:  Click on the grey button Open Windows Security

next click on the blue Scan options

Look down the options list.  Tick on Windows Defender Offline scan.   Then click the grey "Scan now" button.

and let it scan the system.

Keep in mind that the design and what is scanned by Windows Defender is a whole different design from Malwarebytes. But do let me know how this scan goes and what the result is.

Just some additional info; I did a search for that threat by name and discovered that it is actually several years old which means that Windows Defender should have blocked it from ever infecting your computer.  This makes me suspect that this detection was actually most likely either a false positive, or a dormant trace of a very old infection that was no longer active and that the fact that Malwarebytes was unresponsive during your scan and failed to uninstall normally was just a coincidence (we have seen occasional reports of similar issues, and it is generally due to the corruption of one or more of Malwarebytes' configuration files/settings and is usually resolved by reinstalling the program using the Malwarebytes Support Tool to perform a clean uninstall/reinstall of the software).

It may prove useful if you can pull up the detailed report from Windows Defender showing the detection and either get an export of the log or grab a screenshot of it so that we may see the full details of the detection, including the file that it was detected in.  That may help to determine if the threat was active and if it was in fact a false positive or not as I suspect it may be.

It is up to you though, and you don't have to do any of this if your system is now running normally, but if you are willing to do so it could prove helpful in tracking down the root cause of the issue and determining what actually happened, because Windows Defender/Microsoft has had detection signatures for that threat since at least 2017 based on my research, so it's not likely that you contracted that infection within the last few days without Windows Defender noticing it and preventing it/detecting it without having to run a scan.

@93bmwm5  

Added tidbits for after completing the Offline scan  ( does not take a whole lot of time  & worth it)

You can look at the history of Windows Defender.

Go to the Windows Start menu.  Click on the Settings icon.

Now click on Update & Security.   Then click on Open Windows Security.

·  Click the Virus & threat protection tile     and then the Protection  history label  ( in blue color)

The Protection history will have a list of recent events.

I ran the offline scan and reboote with no indications of any problems.  Protection history only shows "No recent actions" so I assume that means all OK.

Thanks again for your help and the MWB Support Tool apparently worked flawlessly in combination with Windows Defender.

4 minutes ago, 93bmwm5 said:

Protection history only shows "No recent actions" so I assume that means all OK.

For Exile360, I have nothing more to send you.  The above is all that I found under "protection history".

Hi 93bmwm5,

Glad to hear the status on Windows Defender protection history.

Let us know if you need other help on Malwarebytes for Windows or other Malwarebytes program.

Cheers.