SusanQJ

xp install fails - Runtime Error

I'm trying to install Malwarebytes on my XP laptop.  It asks me what language I want, and then I get "Runtime Error (at 434:1049): Could not call proc."

I tried following the instructions in the doc titled "Malwarebytes for Windows installation fails with runtime error" (attached).

I tried several different ways of doing the cmd commands, but the cd command doesn't work.  One way I get "The system cannot find the path specified"  and another I get "Parameter format not correct."  I'm attaching screen prints of these 2 attempts with their error messages.

It's been a long time since I used a command window, and have no clue what to try next.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice -- I used to use Malwarebytes all the time, and now I'm having nothing but problems.  I'll post a separate message about my Windows 7 Malwarebytes not working either.  >> sigh <<

Thanks!

Susan

Malwarebytes for Windows installation fails wit...pdf

System cannot find the path.JPG

Parameter format not correct.JPG

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column
    0. UI.png
  7. Click the Gather Logs button
    17. Advanced.png
  8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    19. System Repair Progress.png
  9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
  10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

5 minutes ago, SusanQJ said:

I'm trying to install Malwarebytes on my XP laptop.

The last version compatible with Windows XP is available here.  Also, please refer to the info in the FAQ posted here for more info on legacy OS support (XP and Vista).

If there's anything else we might assist you with please let us know.

Thanks

I downloaded the support tool as instructed and double-clicked to run it, got this error message:

.NET 4.0 or above is required, but not detected on this machine.  Click 'OK' below to be taken to the download page or 'Cancel' to close this application.

So I clicked 'OK' and downloaded and installed the download.  

Tried again to run the support tool, got this error message:

.NET 4.0 Updates are required, but not detected on this machine.  Please check for the latest .NET updates using Windows Update and then try again.

So I googled 
microsoft update .NET 4.0

and got a confusing array of choices of downloads and updates and installers, some with cautions as to how I could mess up my system if I don't do it right...  can you advise me on what to do next?  

sorry I'm so clueless... trying to get back to computer literacy after a long slow recovery from health problems, one step at a time...

The .NET Framework 4 can be installed on Windows XP. Most apps that require the .NET Framework require this version. In some cases, you will may need a later update of the .NET Framework. You can install the .NET Framework 4.0.3 after installing the .NET Framework 4.

The .NET Framework 4.5 is not supported on Windows XP.

Here you can download this update for Windows XP;

Windows XP .net update 4.0.3

This should do the trick.

thanks so much for the speedy reply.  I clicked on the link, got a choice of 3 downloads - do I want all 3?  thanks again --

Download summary - screen print.JPG

IA64 refers to the 64 bit Itanium architecture while x64 is the 64 bit extension to the x86 architecture. The IA64 is exclusive to Intel while x64 is used by all. IA64 was intended for high-end server.

You will need to download x86 if your XP is 32-bit version, or x64 if your XP is an 64-bit version.

How to know with version you have installed?

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties. If you don't see "x64 Edition" listed, then you're running the 32-bit version of Windows XP. If "x64 Edition" is listed under System, you're running the 64-bit version of Windows XP.

thanks so much - esp for reminding me how to see that I have the 32-bit version.

I downloaded & ran the one update; it seemed to complete successfully.

However when I went back to the top of this thread to try to run the Malwarebytes Support Tool I got the same error message:

.NET 4.0 Updates are required, but not detected on this machine.  Please check for the latest .NET updates using Windows Update and then try again.

I rebooted, thinking maybe that was needed for the updates to be fully installed, but still the same error message.

Thanks in advance for further instructions :-)

3 minutes ago, SusanQJ said:

Thanks in advance for further instructions 🙂

I will ask again, Are you using the correct version of Malwarebytes for XP?

On 9/6/2019 at 5:24 PM, Porthos said:

The last version compatible with Windows XP is available here.  Also, please refer to the info in the FAQ posted here for more info on legacy OS support (XP and Vista).

If there's anything else we might assist you with please let us know.

Thanks

Hi @SusanQJ,

That error is exhibited when attempting to run the latest version of Malwarebytes (3.8.3) on Windows XP.
Versions later than 3.5.1 are unsupported on Windows XP and Vista.

Please refer to the following: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/191650-malwarebytes-3-frequently-asked-questions/?do=findComment&comment=1243649

You will need to download and run the Malwarebytes version 3.5.1 installer using the following link: https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3_legacy

Once downloaded, be sure to run the mb3-setup-legacywos-3.5.1.2522-1.0.365-1.0.####.exe file.

apparently I did NOT have the correct version of Malwarebytes for XP - I used the link you sent and it installed fine, and ran a scan fine too.

I don't remember how I selected the version I was using - it was late last week - but y'all have fixed me up just fine, now.

thank you SO much!!!

Susan

7 hours ago, SusanQJ said:

apparently I did NOT have the correct version of Malwarebytes for XP

Glad you got it working. I posted the info about the correct version to use on XP on Friday. Guess you overlooked it.

you're right. I did overlook it.  yet another lesson learned, if I hope to get back up to speed maintaining my husband's & my computers... 

Thank you so much for pointing out my oversight, and for hanging in here with me.  There's so much troubling about the Internet; user forums with real expert advisors are a rrrreally good thing.

Apparently I got distracted trying to download and install the support tool, was why I missed your post about the correct XP version...

Good to hear that everything is okay now, if there is anything else we can help you with, we are right here! 😉

5 hours ago, SusanQJ said:

yet another lesson learned

I would honestly work to replace that computer somehow. XP is very old now and good up to date refurbished computers are not expensive depending on your location.