Scanning issue

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I have had the same problem. I am running Windows 10, and running Premium 3.8.3. Mine has been uploading and scanning for 3 days I have restarted the computer multiple times, did a normal power off shut down and also turned the power off to the computer for several hours.

6 hours ago, Anakin64 said:

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I have had the same problem. I am running Windows 10, and running Premium 3.8.3. Mine has been uploading and scanning for 3 days I have restarted the computer multiple times, did a normal power off shut down and also turned the power off to the computer for several hours.

It sounds like there is an issue with scanning on your system.  The scheduler has a daily scheduled scan configured by default though you can delete that scheduled scan if you prefer to.  The issue above from the original poster is about the hourly checks for updates and is a separate function entirely.

I didn't realize it was a full scan that you were trying to do.  That actually explains a lot.  Are you able to complete just a normal Threat scan, and if so, how long does it take to complete?  To test, you can leave Avast enabled and open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button found on the Dashboard.

Please let us know how it goes and how long it takes to finish, assuming it is able to.

Thanks

OK, that's pretty normal.  My guess is that either there's something that Malwarebytes is having trouble scanning which is causing it to get hung up during the full scan or perhaps there is an issue with the drive itself.  You can run a disk check to see if there are any bad sectors on the drive and hopefully repair them.  To do so, please follow the instructions in this guide and once that is completed, try scanning with Malwarebytes again to see if it is now able to complete.

Hi Anakin64. 

Normally, the situation when installing the program, there is one daily scheduled scan task to do a Threat type scan.

One standard Threat scan is normal  & standard.

Is your machine on 24 x 7 ?     Why stick with the 2 AM setting?

As far as when the scheduled automatic scan is scheduled for, you can review it and adjust as needed.
Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings button.
Click on Scan Schedule tab. Click the line *normal* ( column type) and click Edit button ( as needed) to view and make adjustment as needed.

Be sure you select a good time of the day when the computer and Windows will be on. Either your lunch hour perhaps, or after the end of your work-day or else, at the start of the work-day.

( For example on time, I have mine set to 9 PM ).  In any event, have your scan start time at least 15 minutes past your daily Login to Windows start time or later.

What I would do ( when the Scheduled Task is on-screen), click the Advanced button.
Then look to the right, under Recovery Options.
Put a check mark on the box for "Recover missed tasks"
On the list selection, choose 23 hours.

Click the OK button when done.

See our Help article online How-To: Set up a scheduled scan in Malwarebytes for Windows Premium

While the scans definitely should not hang, the Threat scan is generally sufficient since the Research team can change the locations where it looks at any time via database updates, and they are always adding new locations to check whenever they discover new malware using those locations.  The primary reason though is simply due to the fact that, even though the Threat scan does not check all locations, it does check all major loading points/startups as well as all active processes and threads running in memory, so if the system is infected with any threat that is actually active, the Threat scan should detect it no matter where it might be running from.

With that said, if there is a particular location on a separate partition or drive or an odd folder/location where you regularly store items that may be risky such as your downloads, you can always create a custom scan to check that location to make sure you haven't downloaded anything malicious.  You can also use the option in Windows Explorer to right-click on any file or folder and select Scan with Malwarebytes to check any locations and files you like.

Hey guys,

Please do the following and hopefully it will help the Developers to figure out what's causing this:

Create a Process Monitor Log:

• Create a new folder on your desktop called Logs
  • Please download Process Monitor from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on Procmon.exe to run it
  • In Process Monitor, click on File at the top and select Backing Files...
  • Click the circle to the left of Use file named: and click the ... button
  • Browse to the Logs folder you just created and type MB3 Log in the File name: box and click Save
  • Exit Process Monitor and open it again so that it starts creating the logs
  • Open Malwarebytes and perform a scan or have the scheduled scan kick off now (if replicating the hang from a scheduled scan, try to launch Process Monitor shortly before or just after the scan begins so that it is sure to capture prior to and during the hang/freeze).  Once it freezes or locks up, let it run for a bit longer then terminate the scan if you are able to
  • Close Process Monitor
  • Right-click on the Logs folder on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Please attach the Logs.zip file you just created to your next reply, or if it is too large, please upload it to WeTransfer using the 'Send as link' option and provide us with the link to the file

Thanks

It seems to "hang" at a file in a folder that seems to have been created on Sept 5, the same day I reported the issue c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\NetFramework\BreadcrumbStore\System.Threading.Tasks, Version=2.6.10.0,culture =neutral, Publickeytoken=B03f57f11d50a3a. I've had a look on google, but can't seem to find exactly what it's used for

Hi @Anakin64,

Thanks for the report.

Please do the following:

• Open Malwarebytes.
  • Click Settings.
  • Enable the Event Log Data setting.

MgeHyNE.png Generate MBAMService Memory Dump

• Please download run_procdump.bat using the link below.
    https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/e127cj2ppb2lq6njf67li2gls3kbfz24
  • Open your Downloads folder.
  • Double-click CX41PDv.png run_procdump.bat. Click Yes if prompted by AVOiBNU.jpg User Account Control.
  • Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info followed by Run anyway.
  • A blue window will appear.
  • When prompted to reboot, type Y into the window and press Enter on your keyboard.
  • After your computer has rebooted, please do the following:
    • Reproduce the scan hang and wait until it's clear the scan has hung.
  • Once done, open your Downloads folder and double-click the run_procdump.bat file once more.
  • Upon completion, a file named HSPwQfy.png memorydump.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  • Note: If the file is too large, you will be provided instructions to upload the file to a file hosting website (wetransfer.com).

Afterwards, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool once more. Click Advanced, followed by Gather Logs and attach the new mbst-grab-results.zip.

Thanks for the update!

Have you tried restarting the machine (as opposed to just shutting down/powering on)? Note that with Fast Startup enabled in Windows 10, shutting down is more of a low power hibernation and differs significantly to a restart.

Once Malwarebytes is no longer in the hung state, please proceed with the steps and let us know how you get on.

Edited by LiquidTension

11 hours ago, LiquidTension said:

Note that with Fast Startup enabled in Windows 10

I'm not sure when that came in. I have noticed over the last few weeks that whenever I did a shutdown, and then turned the computer back on hours later everything was starting immediately, with all the tabs still open. Thinking about it it was around the same time time as I was having the hang ups. I have turned off Fast Startup in my settings, and will run a full scan and let you know if there are any differences.

Could it be a conflict between Fast Startup and Malwarebytes?

26 minutes ago, Anakin64 said:

Could it be a conflict between Fast Startup and Malwarebytes?

Yes, absolutely it is possible.  Fast startup has been known to cause issues with Malwarebytes and other software including countless incidents of unpredictable behaviors and software malfunctions due to the way it alters how the system starts up and how some items are retained in memory while others are shut down normally and expected to restart as they normally would, which is not always possible (particularly for an application like Malwarebytes which relies on its primary service, MBAMService.exe, to load the application's drivers and other startup components, including the tray/UI on every boot, but since it is retained in memory while the UI is shut down it doesn't go through its normal startup routine to load the tray as it would under normal circumstances).

9 hours ago, Anakin64 said:

I have turned off Fast Startup in my settings, and will run a full scan and let you know if there are any differences.

The main action you need to perform is restarting the computer (Start button -> Power button -> Restart).

After the restart, does the scan (configured in the same manner as before) still hang?
If it does, please restart the computer again and carry out the instructions in post #17.

In order to help us get to the bottom of this, we need an MBAMService memory dump captured during the scan hanging.

HI @Anakin64,

We do appreciate your efforts here, but the instructions aren't quite being carried out correctly.

This process requires running the batch file twice. Once when Malwarebytes is in a functional state and a second time when Malwarebytes is in the hung state. You only appear to be running the batch file once when Malwarebytes is in the hung state.

-----

Please carefully go through the points below one at a time.

• Ensure Malwarebytes is in a functional state and not hung.
  • Run the batch file. It will eventually prompt to reboot.
  • Consent to the reboot.
  • After the reboot, reproduce the issue by running a Malwarebytes scan and waiting for it to hang.
  • Once Malwarebytes is in the hung state, re-run the batch file for a second time.
  • This will then generate a memory dump of MBAMService in the hung state.
  • Please reply back with the generated dump file saved to your Desktop.
Edited by LiquidTension