pondus

41% of Consumers Still Use Unsupported or Nearly Expired Operating Systems

Yep, right here and proud of it!  I honestly feel far more secure continuing to use Windows 7 than Windows 10, but I'm not everybody.

1 hour ago, exile360 said:

Yep, right here and proud of it!  I honestly feel far more secure continuing to use Windows 7 than Windows 10, but I'm not everybody.

I too am in the camp!

7 hours ago, David H. Lipman said:

I too am in the camp!

I will be staying in the camp. Getting TBO to change again. Been working on PCs since they were first released - before then 80 column punched cards. 🤣

It's ironic really.  I used to be the type of user who was always anxious to test the latest and greatest from Microsoft and other vendors, and for a large part I still am.  I loved Windows Vista and used it as my primary OS while it was still in early beta, however ever since Windows 8 Microsoft has taken things in a very different direction, rather than trying to push performance and fully utilize the capabilities of the latest hardware, they have stripped everything down to a flat, boring interface filled with advertisements, confusing user experiences, buried inconsistent features, settings and menus spread throughout a diverse range of areas in the OS and on top of all that, they've built so much telemetry/adware/spyware into their latest operating system that even when patched and with all privacy settings enabled, it still poses as great a risk to security and privacy as using Facebook and downloading pirated content via P2P applications (at least in my opinion) and with all of the options they offer to control so many aspects of the OS, there still remain tons of components and features that many users would find undesirable that they simply cannot turn off no matter what.  It is basically the polar opposite of the design behind Windows 7 which is why that OS remains my preference.

The day will certainly come that I am no longer able to get 7 to install on modern hardware, however when that day comes I am not confident at all that my first choice for an operating system will be Microsoft.  I suspect I will be watching Linux development very closely in the years to come.

I'm currently still reading up on this to see how well it will work for me. I was thinking of running Red Hat Linux as my main OS and obtained a version. Then I saw this video below and it sure seems interesting to me. Lot of work to change out (why I've not done it yet) but I'm on the fence about at least trying it.

Video Tours of Qubes OS
Micah Lee presents "Qubes OS: The Operating System That Can Protect You Even If You Get Hacked"
https://www.qubes-os.org/video-tours/

An Introduction to Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org/intro/

Eeenteresting, I wonder how it does against hardware based side-channel attacks?  One of the fears with the discovery of the latest round of side-channel vulnerabilities in Intel CPUs was that it would leave VMs/sandboxes susceptible to being bypassed/invaded/escaped/exploited.  Still, if that's the only potential pitfall, that still leaves such a system far more secure than a regular OS.

That reminds me by the way.  For the longest time I was eagerly anticipating Sun's Project Looking Glass which offered a 3 dimensional desktop experience with full glass/alpha transparency, animations and 3D acceleration far beyond what Vista and even the early leaked Longhorn builds and demos had to offer.  Unfortunately it is no longer under development, but most of its remnants can be found in this article with a decent summary of the project on Wikipedia.  There are still some video demos of it from conferences and trade shows out there on YouTube and the like.  If that project had come to fruition, I likely would have been on Linux since around 2007~2008, depending on when they would have completed the final bits.  I was truly impressed by what they showed and still haven't seen a single OS that was its equal.  There are a few programs that can simulate some of the effects and capabilities on display in Looking Glass, but none that perform very well (even on modern hardware) and that go to that extent of full 3 dimensional interactivity, animations and manageability.  I really wish Sun hadn't pulled the plug on it.  We might not have this flat, boring world of Windows 10 that exists today if they hadn't, especially if it garnered decent popularity (which I suspect it would have given the reactions of those who saw it back then).

Also at countries with low income economy like Argentina

Or laptops than vendors sell with 64 bit Windows and only 2 GB RAM (at those cases we use to download/install a pirate 32 bit version)

Wow, only 2GB.  Yes, that's terrible for a modern version of Windows, especially 64 bit.  That used to be plenty, like during the days of Windows XP, but ever since Vista, the bare minimum has pretty much been 3~4GB or more just to keep the system from being super bogged down and constantly paging to the disk drive to use it as virtual memory.  In fact, ever since Vista x64 SP1 I've been recommending a minimum of 6GB of RAM or more just to ensure proper operation without any major RAM bottlenecks/performance issues, and that is just for a system where only basic web browsing and office applications are to be used (that much RAM isn't really a requirement for such things, but any less and you very quickly will experience a lot of paging to disk and slow performance, even if you don't multitask much just due to the amount of RAM used by the OS itself).

There are some low-balled crap out that there that are being sold Windows 10/64 bit systems with 2GB RAM and 32GB SSD.  To me, they are unfit for merchantability.