Firefox

Warning Issued For Millions Of Microsoft Windows 10 Users

Windows 10 users haven’t had it easy in recent months. And while some problems were out of Microsoft’s control, the company has brought a lot of problems on itself. And now users need to watch out for another. 

Picked up by the eagle eyes of
Windows Latest, users are warning that Microsoft’s latest Windows 10 update is hitting performance hard. And what’s most frustrating is Microsoft was warned about this prior to release, shipped it anyway and continues to ignore it. 

Showing up for anyone who hits the ‘Check for updates’ button in Windows Update, KB4512941 was released to fix multiple problems, including bugs in Windows Sandbox, black screen issues and more. But inside the update is a botched Cortana fix which is causing the service to gobble up to 40% of user’s CPUs. Wave goodbye to half your PC’s power and a good chunk of battery life. 

Read Full Story at Source: Forbes

Try 75% of your CPU, Yes I got caught by it as already reported here with screenshots:

Thanks @nukecad, I had not seen your post... 75% is way worst that what the article states

I got caught with the Cortana CPU mess last week, fixed it by editing a couple of registry values which I won't post as I know most here do not like messing with the registry, however, if anyone is interested it can be found on Windows 10 forums. Do not try unless you know what your doing.

I applied the KB4512941 on September 2.    Running on build 1903    winver 18362.329
I do not have the issues of Cortana hogging as shown on the Reddit link.
Neither have I had the issue of SearchUI as per the Reddit citation.

I also do NOT have the reg entry value name "BingSearchEnabled"
under the [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search]

Other sources have also noted they did not have this value named & were not having problems with this KB update.
I should also note, from reading other venues, that users of "shutup10" seem to have issues due to custom tweaks relating to Cortana ( like the key cited above).

Curious to know from @nukecad

Can you look at the registry  at [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search]

does it have a named entry for "BingSearchEnabled"  ?

if yes, what is the value ?

also, whether you have used some special reg-tweaking or Cortana related  custom tweaks?

@Maurice Naggar

Yes, BingSearchEnabled has a Dword value of "0".

I did tweak the registry back in version 1507 to disable Cortana by creating the reg entry 'AllowCortana' and setting it to "0".
https://www.howtogeek.com/265027/how-to-disable-cortana-in-windows-10/

Ever since then it had always shown as 'suspended' in Task Manager and was never affected by any updates; until it enabled itself in KB4512941.

I didn't check if that had been set to "1" following the update.
But I'm guessing that due to the changes MS have been making to Cortana and Search they have altered some of the relevant reg entries anyway, and that tweak may no longer work.

Edited by nukecad

Thanks for that info.

You can delete the BingSearchEnabled .   You dont need it.

Sincerely.

20 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

I should also note, from reading other venues, that users of "shutup10" seem to have issues due to custom tweaks relating to Cortana ( like the key cited above).

I have avoided use of any programs like that to neuter Windows 10. I just shut off items that can be done in the native settings app. Avoids many issues. 

Double ditto.  But, I also run Windows Insiders builds 😛

And I regularly (at least every 6 months, though I've done this 3 times in the last 2 months) cleanly install Windows to help avoid any issues like that myself - if a build starts acting janky, the first thing I do is look for others experiencing the same issues as me.  The second thing I do is look for a fix.  If a fix cannot be found, I revert to an image backup and try again.  If that fails, I revert again and stick to that image. 

Sometimes, though, even that is not enough - thus the 6-month clean install cycle.

I hear you.  Well understood.

Just as another remark, "this" situation is not universal.  It is very conditional and seems to be tied to the specialized prior "tweaks" by users  on that one reg area.

1 hour ago, Maurice Naggar said:

..seems to be tied to the specialized prior "tweaks" by users  on that one reg area.

Agreed, as said above it looks as if MS has changed the reg entries for Cortana and Search.

Patch Tuesday may be interesting this month for those who have disabled Cortana.

18 minutes ago, nukecad said:

Patch Tuesday may be interesting this month for those who have disabled Cortana.

Depends on how and what is used to disable Cotana.

3 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

I hear you.  Well understood.

Just as another remark, "this" situation is not universal.  It is very conditional and seems to be tied to the specialized prior "tweaks" by users  on that one reg area.

Not necessarily, I've done zero tweaks and had it.

Can you look at the registry  at [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search]

I never did get Cortana disabled fully.  I didn't resort to any tweaks or third party applications, however I did note that every time I tried to terminate it via Task Manager it wouldn't allow me to do so.  I also notice that whenever I try to type/search from the Start menu that it doesn't appear to register my inputs and no text appears in the search box and I don't know if that is due to something I disabled or just a quirk with my particular system (an Acer Helios 300; not my primary system obviously since I use 7 as my main OS on my primary rig).

Microsoft are finally acknowledging the issue, although trying to play it down as usual:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1903#676msgdesc

According to MS it only affects "a small number of users" and is "only encountered on devices in which searching the web from Windows Desktop Search has been disabled."

Do they not look at the reports on the web?
(We know they didn't look at the many reports from their own insider programme).

I suppose it also depends on what you consider a small number.
MS say Win 10 is now on 800 million machines.
1% of 800 million Win 10 users is a small percentage, but it's still 8 million people.

IF you have Windows 10 and it has KB4512941   & it is having issues....then look at the registry at

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search

....IF it has a sub-key named   BingSearchEnabled

then Delete the  BingSearchEnabled

You will do fine without it.

And by the way, if it is left there and its data value = 0   you will have issues

Changing the 0 to 1  will cure the issues, but as I noted you do not need the sub-key in the first place.

14 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Yes I have it, value is 1, I changed it from 0 to fix the Cortana issue.

Thanks for the confirmation.  I believe that section of the registry has to do with the Windows 10 search .

But in any event, that sub-key does not ship out with the O S.

Searching around on the net, I spotted various Windows boards  ( like Majorgeeks & Windows club  IIRC ) that had the posts ( from the past )  that suggested the  subkey tweak to zero as part of custom tweaks.

Strange, I've never tweaked anything other than shutting off all the telemetry options within the W10 settings.

Edited by digmorcrusher

I found this guide where it is mentioned (among others across the web).  It seems a lot of folks in the tech community were recommending this tweak as a means of further disabling Microsoft's telemetry/search tracking.

Yes, that Twitter post was up there a few days ago.   Note also the other citation says ".... a small number of users    ..."

and

This issue only occurs on devices that have disabled searching the web using Windows Desktop Search.

These are conditional situations.

Yes, unfortunately that condition impacts anyone who had the intelligence to realize that Microsoft is trying to capture every input entered into any search interface in Windows through Bing the same way that Google tracks everything you search for on Google or through Chrome and felt that was a bit of a privacy violation (especially since locally stored documents may not only contain personal info that a user might search for, but also could be named in a way that exposes personal information) and that it's about a half-step away from being a full-blown keylogger.

Yep, still not a fan of Windows 10.

Today is the monthly Microsoft Windows update cycle for Sept 2019.

If you have Windows 10 see this  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4515384/windows-10-update-kb4515384

This security update includes quality improvements. Key changes include:

• Provides protections against a new subclass of speculative execution side-channel vulnerabilities, known as Microarchitectural Data Sampling, for 32-Bit (x86) versions of Windows (CVE-2019-11091, CVE-2018-12126, CVE-2018-12127, CVE-2018-12130). Use the registry settings as described in the Windows Client and Windows Server articles. (These registry settings are enabled by default for Windows Client OS editions and Windows Server OS editions.)
  • Addresses an issue that causes high CPU usage from SearchUI.exe for a small number of users. This issue only occurs on devices that have disabled searching the web using Windows Desktop Search.
  • Security updates to Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Windows Input and Composition, Windows Media, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Authentication, Windows Cryptography, Windows Datacenter Networking, Windows Storage and Filesystems, Windows Wireless Networking, the Microsoft JET Database Engine, Windows Kernel, Windows Virtualization, and Windows Server.

For other updates & other Operating systems, see  the Security Garden Blog

https://securitygarden.blogspot.com/2019/09/microsoft-september-2019-security.html