AdvancedSetup

Ads not being blocked

I'd like to see an option to right-click an object to block it similar to what uBlock Origin has, or at least a function to report it to Malwarebytes maybe (could be useful for links as well for malicious content and the like).

10 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

The following Ad is not being blocked on the YouTube.com main page

Just to test, I turned off Ublock origin( which I use with the MB extension and I saw no ad's

2019-08-31_10h45_46.png

I use UBO, if I were to install the MB extension I would turn off the Ads/Trackers protection of MB, no use having 2 extension doing the same thing fighting over who is going to block what. Just saying.

24 minutes ago, digmorcrusher said:

I use UBO, if I were to install the MB extension I would turn off the Ads/Trackers protection of MB, no use having 2 extension doing the same thing fighting over who is going to block what. Just saying.

I'd use both only because I know how these block lists work.  Yes, there will be some overlap, however you're also going to run into plenty of cases where one will block an ad or tracker that the other doesn't.  They don't fight the way that two AV's analyzing the same file/process would.  They are both inserted into the browser's stack and analyze traffic/connections and if they see a match with their block list they block the connection, and if a different extension got there first/blocked it already they do nothing and maybe log an error.  There is no 'conflict' going on that could cause the browser to lock up or both extensions to 'fail' because both tried to block the same thing.

38 minutes ago, exile360 said:

I'd use both only because I know how these block lists work.  Yes, there will be some overlap, however you're also going to run into plenty of cases where one will block an ad or tracker that the other doesn't.  They don't fight the way that two AV's analyzing the same file/process would.  They are both inserted into the browser's stack and analyze traffic/connections and if they see a match with their block list they block the connection, and if a different extension got there first/blocked it already they do nothing and maybe log an error.  There is no 'conflict' going on that could cause the browser to lock up or both extensions to 'fail' because both tried to block the same thing.

Exactly, I turned my ublock just to test what Ron was seeing, I turned it back right after. I do not think at this stage of development that the MB extension will block anything as close as Ublock Orign out of the box or with the extra filter lists I add.

1 hour ago, exile360 said:

Thanks for clarifying.

47 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Exactly, I turned my ublock just to test what Ron was seeing, I turned it back right after. I do not think at this stage of development that the MB extension will block anything as close as Ublock Orign out of the box or with the extra filter lists I add.

Yeah, I tend to take things to an extreme.  I use multiple extensions (I actually switched out Adblock Plus for uBlock Origin recently after hearing so many good things about it here on the forums and knowing about Adblock's policies regarding paying advertisers and 'acceptable ads') along with a huge HOSTS file as well as a few other things to lockdown my connection (as well as MB's own Web Protection of course).  Basically when I'm browsing, if I see an ad it's because NOBODY is blocking it (yet) and it's a pretty rare event.

Perhaps they should create a section for reporting ads and trackers to be included in the block lists for the browser extensions similar to how we already have reporting areas for malware, PUPs and malicious websites?