Alpharius

Malwarebytes Browser Guard Question

Why do Malwarebytes Browser Guard need access to email adress ?

For the first time I come across an application that requires this, and I would like to know why this is necessary and does this threaten privacy ?

Posted (edited)

Greetings,

There is no official Malwarebytes product, tool or application called 'Malwarebytes Browser Guard', however if you are referring to the Malwarebytes browser extension beta, it does not require you to provide your email address.  If you have some application called 'Malwarebytes Browser Guard' that is trying to force you to provide your email address then it is a scam and I would suggest reporting it to the Research team in this area.  Just follow the instructions provided in the two pinned topics in that area.

Never mind, I see they have changed the name of the browser extension; this must be the new version that was referenced here.

I still have the previous version so I'll have to check it out and let you know.

Edited by exile360

I just installed the new version and I don't see anywhere that the extension is requesting or requiring my email address.  Can you please post a screenshot of where you're seeing this?

Thanks

34 minutes ago, exile360 said:

I just installed the new version and I don't see anywhere that the extension is requesting or requiring my email address.  Can you please post a screenshot of where you're seeing this?

Thanks

Click extensions then detailed information of extension, permissions will be indicated there.

Third paragraph permission for email access.

This permission was reported to me by chrome which, for the sake of security, disabled this extension and inform me about this.

Posted (edited)

Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 04.18.51.png

cc: @rakka

Edited by 1PW

A have other language chrome, and it says in my language: gets access to yours email adress, approximately also written in the description of extension.

What is meant by know your email adress ?

Posted (edited)

I assume it just means that it can know your email address if you sign in to Chrome.  It just means that it can read the data, it doesn't mean that it requires you to actually provide the extension with your email address for you to use it.

I checked it in my browser and in the settings page it does indeed show the following:

Permissions
  • Read your browsing history
  • Manage your downloads
  • Know your email address
Edited by exile360

I am getting an error in Chrome.  Malwarebytes Browser Guard was disabled.  In order to enable it I have to give permission to let the extension have access to my email address.  No other extension I have (16 others) requires this so it is not a standard thing.  Why does MBG require this permission?

Bill 

image1.jpg

1 hour ago, exile360 said:

I assume it just means that it can know your email address if you sign in to Chrome.  It just means that it can read the data, it doesn't mean that it requires you to actually provide the extension with your email address for you to use it.

I checked it in my browser and in the settings page it does indeed show the following:

Permissions
  • Read your browsing history
  • Manage your downloads
  • Know your email address

I still have not received an answer to why this is necessary, and what data this will read ?

27 minutes ago, BillH99999 said:

I am getting an error in Chrome.  Malwarebytes Browser Guard was disabled.  In order to enable it I have to give permission to let the extension have access to my email address.  No other extension I have (16 others) requires this so it is not a standard thing.  Why does MBG require this permission?

Bill 

image1.jpg

This is what I am trying to find out in this topic, because I have the same message from chrome.

Posted (edited)

I see it this way, It is down to do you trust the company?

I am just glad to see the clickbait feature go away.

I am sure more info is on the way.

Edited by Porthos

@Porthos

I do trust the company.  I trust the 16 other extensions I have on my phone too, but none of them need permission to access my email address.  I just want to know why MB needs to access my email address.

Bill

48 minutes ago, BillH99999 said:

I just want to know why MB needs to access my email address.

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

I am sure more info is on the way.

Also, what determines what Email address will be sought in the case of a system with multiple Email addresses?  Does the extension want knowledge of all of them?

Thank you.

There is a forum post coming up soon answering all above questions and concerns. 

Thanks guys

It does need an explanation but it says "Know your e-mail address" and not access your E-mail.

I just got it yesterday and will be looking for more information from Malwarebytes.

Typical of Malwarebytes - release it and update the forums later.

Jim 😁

@Phone Man Extension release depends on Google, release can happen anytime between 2-5 business days. 

In our case it just happened within hours. 

4 hours ago, rakka said:

There is a forum post coming up soon answering all above questions and concerns. 

Thanks guys

When we can expect this post ?

Dear Lord teach me how to be patient.  ...and do it NOW!     -paraphrased

3 hours ago, Alpharius said:

When we can expect this post ?

As has always been the answer here, when it's ready.

@Alpharius

Why do we need email ID? 
We are collecting email addresses to know our customers better, it will be used to deliver product level communications along with promotions and important outage information. We will not, in any circumstances, share your email address with other individuals or organizations.

Posted (edited)

@rakka

Ouch!  My concern is not with your sharing of the email address.  I am glad you are not going to share it as that is the only acceptable way to handle it.

What I am concerned about is that I do not want emails with "product level communications and promotions" from MB.  Are you going to have a way to opt out of these communications?  If not, I will most likely not accept the permissions for Malwarebytes Browser Guard and will likely uninstall it from Chrome and Firefox (it is currently disabled as I did not want to accept the permission to allow access to my email address).

This would be much better addressed as an opt-in mailing list or similar rather than an opt-out (if you are even going to allow us that option).

Bill

Edited by BillH99999

People are always complaining about NOT getting important notifications from MB and you may not have been one of those but it was a hot topic when things went horrible wrong in the past.

Posted (edited)

@Porthos

I was not one of those folks.

I understand what you are saying and agree to an extent.  Actually, I am interested in getting the right kinds of notifications, but I'm not interested in promotions or most product level communications unless it has something to do with  outages or problems to be aware of.  

I wonder what email address they will get access to.  For example, the email address that I used for my Malwarebytes account is not the one that I use to sign into my Chrome account.  I don't want to get promotional "spam" from them in my Chrome email account. 

Instead of harvesting the email address by use of the app permissions, it might be better if they set it up so we had a MBG account.  Then we could supply the email address that we wanted them to use.

Bill

Edited by BillH99999