Help With ASPI32 Error

Tubesman

I'm running XP Pro SP3. For the last few months I've been getting an error - "The ASPI32 service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified."

I haven't had any problems I know of, but I'd like to fix the error or have someone smarter than me tell me not to worry about it. What can I do to resolve this? Thanks in advance!!

• Root Admin

You probably have or had hardware that required it or you may have installed on of the virtual CD device applications which might have installed a customized version.

Use a program like AutoRuns from Microsoft and have it find where it's trying to load it from and uncheck it and reboot and see if you're having any issues.

@ Tubesman

If you need a hand at the download of Autoruns, Let me know will be glad to help. It will download zipped, save it to your desktop, launch the autoruns.exe when the program launchs, press your ESC key to Stop it.

The go under Options & put a checkmark on "verify code signatures" then press F5, to start the program again. It will take a few mins to scan. (Its like an advanced HiJackLog) ... regards...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

Thanks for the offer, I had no problem with the download.

It shows the file is missing, here's the entry

ASPI32 File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\ASPI32.sys

There are a few others not found, but they don't show anything in the error log.

Should I do anything about this one being missing.

Thank you all!

• Staff

Greetings Tubesman :) .

Try unchecking the entry in Autoruns, then reboot and see if the error returns and if you have any other issues. It's likely, as AdvancedSetup commented, that another program installed it at some point, was removed, but simply failed to remove the loading point from the registry.

Post back and let us know how it goes.

It's HijackThis.exe, and yes it could be used here as well, but would do the exact same thing that Autoruns does :) . That is, unless you're talking about deleting a service, which can also be accomplished via Autoruns, or using the SC command in a batch file.

Yes your right. I don't want to confuse the poster.

• Root Admin

AutoRuns is a bit safer though as you can go back and uncheck the check mark if you made a mistake.

As for the other entries NO - DO NOT remove any of them. There are often good valid entries that many tools just do not see but that does not mean they're not there and not doing their job.

Well, I unchecked it - and on shutdown I got a full blue screen warning about doing it - and on restart I got the "Windows has recovered from a serious error" message.

The machine seemed to work fine, but it wasn't happy. And I didn't want to risk not having it reboot (part of the shutdown warning was that it might not boot up again!) so I re-checked it when it did boot up. The error log showed this:

Error code 10000050, parameter1 ba691000, parameter2 00000001, parameter3 8053a593, parameter4 00000000.

After I re-checked it and rebooted the original error was all I saw.

• Staff

I'd like to take a look and see what else might be installed that might depend on the ASPI layer being installed since it's a nondefault system component in XP.

Please delete your old version of Autoruns and download the latest version from here.

• Save Autoruns.exe to your desktop and double-click it to run it.
  • Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.
  • Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures
  • Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
  • When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.
  • Now right-click on the Autoruns.arn file located on your desktop and highlight Sent To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Please attach the Autoruns.zip file you just created to your next post.

• Staff

Hello again :) .

I had a quick look at your log and it appears you either have or had a version of Nero installed. If it was the version that came with your computer or one of your drives, do you happen to still have the disk? If you do not then don't do this unless you know you can reinstall it.

Please read the info on Nero's website here, expanding the section on the Clean Tool and how to back up your product key then do the following:

• Download the Clean Tool to your desktop
  • Temporarily disconnect your computer from the internet completely
  • Disable Online Armour completely (this is only temporary to make sure the clean tool works)
  • Run the Clean Tool and have it remove all Nero related products from your PC
  • Reboot and let me know if you still get the error message you had before
  • Reinstall the version of Nero you had

Please let me know how it goes or if you have any questions.