FA1781

No System Tray Icon (even after "fix" or "clean/reinstall")

Hello,

I've been unsuccessful in permanently fixing a problem with MB3.8.3.2965 and a missing system tray icon on a fully patched Win 10x64 PC.

I've tried using the latest Support Tool 1.4.1.623 "Repair" and "Clean" features.  "Fix" has been tried twice, and the "Clean" and reinstall feature once.  Both methods initially result in the MB3 system tray icon displaying but after a few days of restarts it disappears again.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column
    0. UI.png
  7. Click the Gather Logs button
    17. Advanced.png
  8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    19. System Repair Progress.png
  9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
  10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Posted (edited)

Hello @FA1781:

An expert's analysis can not begin until detailed system data has been received.

In the above post to your topic, please select  "Reveal hidden contents" just under technical issues.

Then, sequentially follow the procedure and attach (step 10) the archive that's generated to your next reply to this topic.

Thank you

Edited by 1PW

Fast start is not enabled and UAC is not disabled (is at default).  But thanks.

4 minutes ago, FA1781 said:

UAC is not disabled (is at default)

I glazed over the log too fast, sorry.

@FA1781  Allow me to suggest one or 2 things.

Look on the Windows taskbar by the system clock for the chevron icon or we can call it the up-arrow-head icon.

Click that to see what hidden icons are there.  Look for the blue Malwarebytes icon.  If there, drag and drop it with your muse to a unused spot on the taskbar.

By default, the Windows System Tray shows only the default status icons (action center, volume etc.) and consolidates all the others into a small pop-up box, accessible by clicking an upward pointing arrow

see the article "Show All Icons And Notifications In System Tray In Windows 10"
https://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/21/windows-10/show-icons-notifications-system-tray-windows-10.html

Read all of it.  Step 2 is especially helpful.

Maurice,

Thanks for the info but I have no difficulties locating and rearranging icons in the system tray and often display and 'hide' certain ones that are more or less critical for me.  When it is available, I place the MB icon in the "hidden" part of the system tray.  I do know where to look for the icons, but I appreciate the effort.

Check out the article cited above.

Maurice... okay I did take the time to "check out" the cut and paste articles you listed.  They tell me nothing new or anything I didn't already know about the system tray of win10.  The MB icon is not simply "hidden" in the system tray. 

Windows is in charge of displaying the taskbar-tray icons.   My view is, that a setting of some sort in Windows is keeping it from showing.

I  would suggest to download, Save, and then run Malwarebytes ADWCLEANER.

Please close Chrome and all other open web browsers after you have saved the Adwcleaner and before you start Adwcleaner scan.

Version 7.4 of Adwcleaner  detects factory Preinstalled applications too!

I  encourage you to take a look at the announcement blogpost to learn more this new detection category: https://blog.malwarebytes.com/malwarebytes-news/2019/07/your-device,-your-choice:-adwcleaner-now-detects-preinstalled-software/.

Please download  Malwarebytes AdwCleaner  https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/adwcleaner

Be sure to Save the file first, to your system.  Saving to the Downloads folder should be the default on your system.

Go to the folder where you saved Adwcleaner. Double click Adwcleaner  to start it.

At the prompt for license agreement, review and then click on I agree.

You will then see a main screen for Adwcleaner. ( if you do not see it right away, minimized the other open windows, so you can see Adwcleaner).

Then click on Dashboard button.

Click the blue button "Scan Now".

allow it a few minutes to finish the Scan.   Let it remove what it finds.

NOTE:  When it comes to the section "

Pre-installed applications

You can skip that.

Please find and send the Adwcleaner "C" clean report.

In Adwcleaner, click the "Reports" button.  Look at the list of reports for the latest date & type "Clean".

Double Click that line & it will open in Notepad.   Save the file to your system and then Attach that with your reply.

Thanks. 

Posted (edited)

I am going to refer back to the Windows 10 tray notification icons subject.

In the Windows 10 search bar, type in
Taskbar notification
click on that when it shows  the link

On next screen one sees a window named "Taskbar"
scroll down  to  under "Notification area"

click on   the blue line "Select which icons appear in taskbar"

Here is what mine shows.   Note Malwarebytes is listed &  selected as ON   ( for display).

image.png.1c3affd659f7f7070a7f856ad97186f4.png 

You may if you wish, slect ON for that top line "Always show all icons in the notification area".

What I did  is only select the ones I wanted to focus on.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Good morning.   Please be sure that you have seen my 2 preceding replies.

This is intended to guide you to a clean new install of Malwarebytes for Windows, and, to get a fresh report from FRST.

Please follow the steps in order.

[ A ]  Restart Windows so that there is a fresh startup.

[ B ]

Please do a  uninstall and reinstall Malwarebytes for Windows using the Malwarebytes Support tool. Let me know if that clears up the issue or not.

Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool
https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2674

[ C ]

I want to make very sure that you SAVE this next report tool to the DESKTOP  or else, to the Downloads folder.  Saving it is so important.

I would like to have you run a fresh report tool known as FRST. This has no personal information. It is a well-known & widely used &safe.
FRST will help provide me with a list of installed programs and other information about your computer that will help me see if there are any other problems that are not being detected. Please follow the steps below to run FRST.

1: Please download FRST64 from the link below and save it to your desktop:

"Download link for 64-Bit Version Windows"

Please wait and look toward the top or bottom of your browser for the option to Run or Save.
Click Save to save the file  
to the DESKTOP  or else, to the Downloads folder.  

Run report with FRST64

Right-click on FRST icon and select Run as Administrator to start the tool , and reply YES to allow it to proceed and run.

Windows  10 users will be prompted about Windows "SmartScreen protection" - click line More info information on that screen and click button Run anyway on next screen.

Click YES when prompted by Windows U A C prompt to allow it to run.
Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info & followup & choose Run anyway.

Approve the Windows UAC prompt on Windows Vista and newer operating systems by clicking on Continue or Yes. 

Click Yes when the* disclaimer* appears in FRST.
The tool may want to update itself - in that case you'll be prompted when the update is completed and ready to use.

Make sure that Addition options is *checked* - the configuration should look exactly like on the screen below (do not mark additional things unless asked).
Press Scan button and wait.

The tool will produce three logfiles on your desktop: _FRST.txt_ , _Addition.txt
Click OK button when it shows up. Close the Notepad windows when they show on screen. The tool saves the files.

Please attach these 2 files to your next reply.

Thank you.

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this topic. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks