John A

Good so far except it turns off Defender by default

This version installed OK on Windows 10 18965.1005 (with Beta Edge Version 77.0.235.9 installed).

Initial scan no issues.

I don't like that it turns Defender off by default.

Will continue playing with it.

3 hours ago, John A said:

I don't like that it turns Defender off by default.

I have to agree. I did not even notice Defender was off till I read this post and checked.  That needs to be addressed right away. I have 100's clients who who rely on the Defender/Malwarebytes combo with Windows 10.

First off, I agree, as well, in that the disabled Defender needs to be made more clear.  Furthermore, if you enable other settings in MB 4 like delayed startup, you also get warnings out the wazoo in WinX that you don't have an AV program set up, and that can take a while before it finally stops nagging you.  Plus, those who install MB 4 but do not plan to use it as the main av / don't upgrade to premium will get similar nags every time when you close out of MB 4, as well, before Defender kicks back in.

At the very least, this should not happen automatically unless the user upgrades to premium, and then (ideally), only after *asking* the user if they want this.

----------

As an aside:

When initially testing the ẞeta, I found that there is a setting (at least on 1903 and newer) in Windows Security that allows you to enable Defender for what M$ calls 'occasional scanning" - IN WinX, go to Settings --> Update and Security --> Windows Security (in the left navigation field) --> click on Open Windows Security button (opens the Windows Security app) --> select Virus and threat protection from left nav field --> click on Microsoft Defender Antivirus options and then enable that Periodic scanning (you should get a UAC warning, depending upon your settings).  But this does not in any way mitigate the above problem, it's just something that you can enable if you have MB 4 Premium to have Defender and MB 4 have each others back.

For those wanting a shorter way, if you have the Defender icon in your system tray, double click it, and it takes you directly to the Windows Security app.  Then you can proceed as above.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, John L. Galt said:

lick on Microsoft Defender Antivirus options and then enable that Periodic scanning (you should get a UAC warning, depending upon your settings).  But this does not in any way mitigate the above problem, it's just something that you can enable if you have MB 4 Premium to have Defender and MB 4 have each others back.

Scanning is one thing, I want Defender ACTIVE as well. My experience is that Defender catches things in real time that MB does not.

As much as I love MB over the last 10 years, I am not ready to rely on just MB to protect my computer sand my clients computers to just MB being active. Can you say layered protection?

Edited by Porthos

Yeah, that's why I specifically stated that it doesn't mitigate the above problem.